Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The iPlayer is such dog-sh*t that torrents seemed the only way to watch this latest episode...

Anyway, the Doctor certainly DID "return", eh readers? ;)

As for "Ghosts", it's great. It's the closest I've had to a TV comedy akin to Terry Pratchett's "Diskworld" novels or Blackadder, etc. I tried watching the Yank version but like many other Yankified British comedies (*cough* Red Dwarf *cough*) it was an extremely poor, annoying and dumbed-down husk of the far superior original. Hulu Japan has, true to form, only bothered to host series 1 though, so my girlfriend has had to rely on my own "procured" recordings and sit through my mansplaining whilst pausing the screen every other minute or so...

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen

Doctor Who is moving to Disney+ outside the UK and Ireland starting next year.

I dislike this but I also admit it's because I don't subscribe to streaming services because I have such specific tastes in TV shows it's literally not worth the money for me to subscribe.

Do like the updated Fourth Doctor era logo they're using now tho, the Chibnall era logo was kind of bland.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
The mouse is an Absorboloth isn’t he? Mickey is really a mouse eared fat alien with Marvel, Star Wars, and now the Doctor Who franchises struggling to break free.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's interesting. I'm way behind on Doctor Who. I missed a couple of episodes in a row during Capaldi's era and just never did get back to watching. I do have D+, so that would let me catch up at my leisure.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
That's interesting. I'm way behind on Doctor Who. I missed a couple of episodes in a row during Capaldi's era and just never did get back to watching. I do have D+, so that would let me catch up at my leisure.

I wouldn't worry about anything post Capaldi, its where the production values and story goes downhill compared to what was before, the ratings for Jode rose for her first ep but then afterwards they began collapsing to its lowest point in Dr Who history!

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wouldn't worry about anything post Capaldi, its where the production values and story goes downhill compared to what was before, the ratings for Jode rose for her first ep but then afterwards they began collapsing to its lowest point in Dr Who history!

That's more or less what I had heard, which is part of why I never worked TOO hard at catching back up. I really liked Capaldi as an actor and enjoyed his version of the Doctor, but the stories were getting less-and-less well written.

Echowarrior

Citizen

I'll be the last person to consider the Chibnall Era the pinnacle of Doctor Who, but I'll be the first to point out the good from it. And Jodie Whitaker is definitely among the good. Like Colin Baker before her, she did the best with what she had. As for a lowest point...seriously, have you not seen the classic series? There were a lot of duds during that time.

Meanwhile, I suspect the Disney+ deal is less Disney trying to own a piece of the program and more about a licensing thing. And honestly, I don't mind - the show could use whatever coverage it can get. I do, however, find it a little annoying that the series is currently spread between three (soon to be four) streaming services, and kinda wish that it could all be in one place. Then again, I've dealt with worse for other programs, and I buy the home media releases anyway.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I seen a few stories from Classic Who, but NOT all of them! I checked out during the Jode era, because I wasn't gripped by the stories, I gave her first season a chance but after the Kablam man ep, I stopped watching, they said there would be changes for her second season, I tried Spyfall and found nothing had actually changed aside from bring the Master back, during my first watch of the first ep of her second season, I fell asleep, so I had to go back and rewatch it but I wasn't impressed, so, I stopped watching and not bothered since, Jode might be a good actress but, there was nothing to really make me like her or the rest of the cast, while David Tennet, the few seconds he on screen, he has energy to his character!

Disney+ getting Who for outside of the UK, strikes me as attempt to get more eyeballs as Star Wars & Marvel are both in bad places right now due to the fact they alienated the fan bases or gone woke, so the BBC is desperate to get people back watching the show, they had to bring David Tennet back along with Russel T Davis and his production company is in charge of Doctor Who going forwards and before the ink was dry on the deal, he turned around and sold his production company to Sony, who own the movie rights to Spiderman and they aren't going to give him up and with Phase 4, Sony with Spiderman has been the biggest winner with the rest of Marvel pretty much flopping as they forgotten how to produce a good entertaining product that people actually like to watch or attracted to! Will this new era of Doctor Who, be good, hard to say at this point but we got a couple of speicals before whatever his name becomes the fifteenth Doctor or whatever number he is due to Chibnall being a idiot and answering the question that shouldn't of been answered in the first place, the Doctor's origins!

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I'm not going to argue taste or preference (I don't think the show is so bad), but I do feel compelled to point out that the ratings (while admittedly lower in "real" numbers) are still strong when taking into account that fewer people are watching broadcast television anywhere these days. Doctor Who still typically ranks highly among BBC shows for the weeks in which it airs. Also, it still makes tons of money for the BBC.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The biggest problem with the Chibnall era overall for me is that it was mostly just 'meh' and, speaking from the POV of an American fan, they just stopped pushing the show here. Granted I think the gradual decline in promoting the series began partway through Capaldi's run but it was seriously like the series barely existed here during Jodie's run as the Doctor.

Like I'm pretty sure I didn't even realize her second season had started until it was already a few episodes in. Just saw no promos or marketing for it on TV or online.

(Don't even get me started on merchandise, I think nowadays all they release here are just the home video releases and books and that's it)

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I really would like to see Jodie come back in some capacity later on like Tennet gets to. I don't dislike her as the Doctor at all and feel like she falls in the middle as far as new era Doctors. Really I don't dislike any of or new era Doctors but if I were to ranks them It would probably be Tennet, Smith, Whittaker, Capaldi, and Eccleston.

Tennet was my introduction, and frankly his version of the Doctor was zany enough but grounded, which gives him the slight edge over Smith who was a tad too manic at times. Whittaker was a good balance but brought down by the stories she was working with. Likewise with Capaldi, who had a mixed bag as far as stories went but it was a change for myself to have the Doctor as an older gentleman for the first time for myself. Eccleston..... I just don't like the leather jacket look. He was a fun character and the stories had some good fun to it, but I can't with the Leather Jacket. :D

Echowarrior

Citizen
I'd definitely support more stuff for Jodie Whitaker in the future, if not on television then definitely in Big Finish. Also, more of Jo Martin as the Fugitive Doctor!

I dare anyone to complain about Jo Martin as the Fugitive Doctor! I know someone will, but that someone is likely very petty and can't be bothered to properly write!

Shadewing

Citizen
I thought the Master as Rasputin was delightfully over the top. And then he did a little dance to the song. Chibnall is not known for subtlety.

That dance was one of the best parts. That is totally 100% the Master. He might be a great mastermind, but The master has always loved his showboating.

As for Jodie's Run:

I agree, this is probably the best of her run, and its a shame its the end but god damn at least she went out on a spectacularly high note. I do feel like each season did improve on the last, though they all had less then stellar elements. NONE of that is on Jodie or any of the cast. They were all doing their best, and I even loved seeing Graham again this episode and him being kinda smitten with Ace. The entire problem with Chibnal's run, is Chibnal. He has been consistently the weakest, if not worst, writer for Modern Who. And it's not that he's incompetant, stuff like Broadchurch are rather good. He just can't do Sci-fi very well. But I do agree, that overall this is a solid run, because there are still some actually amazing episodes and concepts that I liked. I do like the idea of the fugitive Doctor and the character having a hidden past, it works well with several concept for the original series that never got fully explored. And the stuff I didn't, will likely be retconned within the next 5-10 years, such the whole Timeless child side of that hidden past.

The one thing I didn't like about this particular episode was the regeneration, I don't care what the reasoning is; its gonna give fuel to the worst side of the fandom.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Big Finish has already promised more from the Fugitive Doctor. I imagine there's a contractual obligation not to do Jodie for at least a bit, but hopefully before too long. I'm hoping for proper stuff from Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi from them, too (I'm not sure if Matt's current schedule allows, but I'd think Capaldi could find an opening. We're constantly told that the audios don't take a huge time commitment from the actors).

Top Bottom