Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

Dvandom

Citizen
Now, we need to get some canonical closure with Susan Foreman while the actress is still alive. :) (Her canon, much less her deuterocanon in books and radio dramas, is a horrifying mess.)

---Dave

CrockAlley

Citizen
The actor who played Luke really isn't in the business, anymore. I don't see him coming back to acting on any kind of a permanent basis. Maybe a one-off, at best.

Looks like he's dipping his toes in. Rani Chandra has her own series at Big Finish. Tommy Knight (Luke Smith) is returning for the second set. It'll be good to have them all together again.

Now, we need to get some canonical closure with Susan Foreman while the actress is still alive. :) (Her canon, much less her deuterocanon in books and radio dramas, is a horrifying mess.)

I would love to see Carole Ann Ford return in a good, character-driven, emotional story. (But I'm not to bothered by canon.) I'm a bit shocked that after all these years, they haven't taken advantage of the fact that several actors from the earliest episodes are still alive. I was happy to see Ian back, but it's sad they waited so long. I dearly hope they can bring Susan back, but I'm afraid it comes with too much baggage, like all the Time Lord stuff from the past three showrunners.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Looks like he's dipping his toes in. Rani Chandra has her own series at Big Finish. Tommy Knight (Luke Smith) is returning for the second set. It'll be good to have them all together again.

I would love to see Carole Ann Ford return in a good, character-driven, emotional story. (But I'm not to bothered by canon.) I'm a bit shocked that after all these years, they haven't taken advantage of the fact that several actors from the earliest episodes are still alive. I was happy to see Ian back, but it's sad they waited so long. I dearly hope they can bring Susan back, but I'm afraid it comes with too much baggage, like all the Time Lord stuff from the past three showrunners.
I don't doubt it, but Big Finish is a MUCH smaller time committment than live-action (and I did specifically allow for such things when I said "maybe a one-off, at best").

As to taking advantage of the fact that some of the oldest actors are still alive, I was both surprised and pleased to see William Russell's cameo in "The Power of the Doctor." There's a tremendous irony that, out of the three non-Doctor original regulars, Jacqueline Hill was the first to return to the show (albeit in a different role), and she was the first of that trio to pass away.

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay, so I am catching up now.

I watched the last two Jodi episodes, and quite frankly the pirate one was just weird while the last one was just convoluted. I am really glad that we got Davies back writing this again. However, back to her last episode I liked seeing all the old companions back again. Ace was awesome and Graham coming back was a huge surprise! Speaking of Surprises, IAN! Freaking IAN was back! :) I love the whole former companion support group. Loved how they used the cybermaster's energies to regenerate the doctor back into her normal form. Also, why doesn't Unit have any weapons able to take down cybermen? Not too sure who the Master was able to kill her this time, other than he bumped one of the being's attacks on the planet into her.

Special 1:

I love that he gets immediately thrown right into Donna and her family, and there is suddenly an alien ship crash landing in London once again! Donna giving away her lottery winnings was great, and I loved how she blames the Doctor for that when she comes back. The meep and the wraiths were neat. I caught the whole not damaging the car bit as they made their escape. I love to see the shadow proclamation getting invoked again. I love the whole joke about her Grandfather not being with them anymore, "He's 94, he can't manage the stairs!" My one big gripe about this came at the end when they said that they thought about how to get rid of the whole doctorodonna energy in a way that his male brain couldn't, by just giving it up. I just take offense at that, as the Doctor would have surely had done something that simple to save his friend rather than what he ended up doing. I think a better explanation would be now that there were two of them, they could slowly dissipate the energy. And what happened to Rose afterward?

Special 2:

First off, this was a great suspense/horror episode. The mysterious and abandoned space ship outside the edge of the universe, the weird reconfiguring, the old robot, and then we get the duplicators from the nothing. Very creepy, and then we get the whole game of who is the real one, and the final realization that the ship was on a slow countdown to self-destruct. It was just a great episode. I love how the Doctor pondered where the Tardis goes when it leaves. Also digging how he is still trying to figure out who he is.

Then we get the best return yet! Wilfred Mott is one of my favorite characters in Doctor Who, and the fact that they got him back for the end of this special just makes me so freaking happy. I am so sad that Benard Cribbins has passed away, but at least he got one last go in the role. I hope that he is in the next episode as well.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So we have finally caught up!

The toymaker episode was great! NPH does a great job here and I love his interactions with the doctor. The bi-generation was neat too! I love that ten gets this retirement of sorts, although I am sure that we will see him again. I hate that we didn't get more of Wilfred, but at least his character is out there shooting at moles with energy shields. So who was that person with red fingernails that piked up the gold tooth that contains the Master?

So our first Chuti Godwaa (I know that is not how its spelled, but I am still trying to learn how its pronounced) episode was great! I love the new companion, Ruby, and the whole baby plot was great! I loved how he used the gloves and just pulled the ship down. Definitely a great new bit of kit for him, and I hope that the gloves stay around for a while. So who was misses Flood? And who are Ruby's parents? I hope that we find out this season! Checks schedule In May it seems.....

Shadewing

Citizen
So we have finally caught up!

The toymaker episode was great! NPH does a great job here and I love his interactions with the doctor. The bi-generation was neat too! I love that ten gets this retirement of sorts, although I am sure that we will see him again. I hate that we didn't get more of Wilfred, but at least his character is out there shooting at moles with energy shields. So who was that person with red fingernails that piked up the gold tooth that contains the Master?

So our first Chuti Godwaa (I know that is not how its spelled, but I am still trying to learn how its pronounced) episode was great! I love the new companion, Ruby, and the whole baby plot was great! I loved how he used the gloves and just pulled the ship down. Definitely a great new bit of kit for him, and I hope that the gloves stay around for a while. So who was misses Flood? And who are Ruby's parents? I hope that we find out this season! Checks schedule In May it seems.....

Rumor going around that Ruby is out at the end of the season, so we'll likely find out about her Parents at least.

Echowarrior

Citizen
So our first Chuti Godwaa (I know that is not how its spelled, but I am still trying to learn how its pronounced) episode was great!

Ncuti Gatwa. His name is pronounced "SHOO-tee GAT-wah". And I agree, he's brilliant.

As for the Toymaker's tooth being retrieved, my belief (until RTD gives us reason to think otherwise) is that the Cult of Saxon is still out there.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
As for the Toymaker's tooth being retrieved, my belief (until RTD gives us reason to think otherwise) is that the Cult of Saxon is still out there.
Perhaps he's a fan of someone who's a "bit of a minger"? ;)

Ming Ring (small).gif

Last edited:

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Interesting. I remember the discussions around the time when the Transformers Wiki broke off from Wikia (Fandom's former identity) in response to their intrusive ads. It was pretty clear at the time that, while the TFWiki folks couldn't just shut the TF Wikia down, all the folks who kept it going were going to support the TFWiki, relegating the Wikia to secondary status. Do we know if there's that kind of support behind the Tardis Wiki vs. the Fandom version?

UPDATE: I've found the Tardis Wiki's actual announcement on the matter: https://tardis.wiki/wiki/Tardis:Forking_announcement

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Interesting. I remember the discussions around the time when the Transformers Wiki broke off from Wikia (Fandom's former identity) in response to their intrusive ads. It was pretty clear at the time that, while the TFWiki folks couldn't just shut the TF Wikia down, all the folks who kept it going were going to support the TFWiki, relegating the Wikia to secondary status. Do we know if there's that kind of support behind the Tardis Wiki vs. the Fandom version?

UPDATE: I've found the Tardis Wiki's actual announcement on the matter: https://tardis.wiki/wiki/Tardis:Forking_announcement
Ads are irrelevant as adblock FTW.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Learned at Gallifrey One a few weeks ago that, recognizing that Tom Baker is not going to be around for forever, but because he's come to love doing the recording sessions (which he can do from his own home), Big Finish has already recorded enough 4th Doctor audio material to keep releasing them until at least 2030, even if he were to stop now.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Learned at Gallifrey One a few weeks ago that, recognizing that Tom Baker is not going to be around for forever, but because he's come to love doing the recording sessions (which he can do from his own home), Big Finish has already recorded enough 4th Doctor audio material to keep releasing them until at least 2030, even if he were to stop now.
"Delish"...

Top Bottom