They Haven't Made a Toy of This Yet?

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I know I would be, even better if his trailer is new.

At this point I almost expect a Nova Prime toy to be under the Shattered Glass line.

Which I'd be fine with as long as the toys good.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Only because he was just a simple head pretool of Astrotrain. The only part of that toy that even looked like IDW Sentinel, sculpt-wise, was just the head. It's not like they gave IDW Sentinel a dedicated mold of his own.
To be fair...I would say that Astrotrain/Sentinel figure had a bit more Sentinel worked into the sculpt than just the head. His chest was as close to Sentinel Prime's IDW design as you could from something that also had to be Astrotrain. I have no idea if they had Leader Astrotrain in the works as far back as TR but I'm sure they knew TR Astrotrain wasn't going to be the DEFINITIVE Gen Astrotrain, so that gave them room to deviate. With a Sentinel-esque torso and alternate modes that leaned into the Cybertonian instead of Astrotrain's traditional Earth-based alternate modes that a Gen release would usually show homage towards.

Meanwhile, Nova was such a unique design that anything other than a dedicated mold based on his comic design would have been a disservice to that version of the character. Sadly, he was around in the comics during a time when Hasbro (specifically Archer Era Hasbro) cared very little about what was going on in the IDW comics since they were more preoccupied with the multi-million dollar movies that were bringing in the big bucks more than anything ever before, as well as their super ambitious plans for a multimedia Aligned Continuity that was sure to take off and become the definitive face of the brand, right? :rolleyes:
Agreed that Nova pretty much demands a unique design to do him justice (though a repaint of the Cybertron Prime design would work in a pinch)...the whole thing just strikes me as odd.
Nova had something of a comeback in IDW as the ultimate villain behind Shockwave's machinations, manipulating events from the Dead Universe. This run roughly ran alongside Devastation. Which shockingly used Nova as a character, despite being so G1 cartoon focused. I figured that meant he was on the new post-Archer team's minds but he never materialized. Not even as a Selects or Pulse idea.

Archer was...well this is one of the reasons I tend to not have the glowing view of his tenure others do. IDW's early run was a big part of the Transformers late 2000s rival for me, and I would gather a lot of others. There were so many unique designs and ideas that still grounded themselves in that marketable G1 zone while also being new, but the Transformers brand team never touched them for a good portion of that original hotness. I get that Archer and his team had priorities, but -ation IDW was a huge part of the second stage of my TF fandom. It would have been nice to see more love from the line during those years.

And then Archer went all in on Aligned which...well we all know what happened. But aside from the overall failure...to me Nova was such an interesting concept. He showed up before IDW decided all Primes prior to Optimus were jerks so he existed in this weird space. A Matrix-barer, supposedly chosen for a higher purpose, but an all-out villain. That's interesting. That's world building. That hints at a deeper meaning to the things we know as fans. And he had a cool as heck design.

Did it get him a toy? No.
Did it get him included in Aaron Archer's grand all encompassing face of the franchise forever and ever mythology? No.

tl;dr Nova Prime looks ballin' and he's actually got an interesting story. Toy plz.

CEEFAX

John Carpenter of Mars
Citizen
Technically, Overdrive and Camshaft got updates in Binaltech/Alternators. But not my poor boy Downshift... :(

I remember thinking that an unstickered Arms Micron Wheeljack could make for a fun stand-in.
(Pics pinched from Maz and the wiki respectively)

Attachments

• 16F3C70F-8883-4F68-B546-014C816A8BA5.jpeg
    16F3C70F-8883-4F68-B546-014C816A8BA5.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 67
  • AE4D6CFD-6CB1-4953-82BA-45C932014ECC.jpeg
    AE4D6CFD-6CB1-4953-82BA-45C932014ECC.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 72

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
It has happened before, yeah. ;)
I am aware, yes.

It's more of a concern that to get a new Nova Prime toy it has to be Shattered Glass, either because they don't want an evil prime in the main line or cause they think it has to be Optimus or it won't sell.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I remember thinking that an unstickered Arms Micron Wheeljack could make for a fun stand-in.
(Pics pinched from Maz and the wiki respectively)
I think I have one lying around that I planned to do exactly that with.

Seen some neat, simple customs out of Earthrise Runamuck too, bit tempting to try.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Anyway, I'm still surprised Fixit didn't turn up among the WFC Micromasters, given that he was a reasonably prominent character in IDW1 and his name saw active toyline use in RID15.

In the spirit of resisting the "wishlist thread" effect, I don't personally care about Monstructor or Dinoking and I probably wouldn't buy new toys of them if they existed, but it seems insane to me that they haven't happened in any form.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
DeathCobra. Victory version and a Serpentor redeco.

Flatline. with hearse altmode.

Top Bottom