The Video Game Merger Thread

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Well, it's just getting ridiculous now. The video game industry is in a fit consolidation, to the point we might as well have a dedicated thread:
Sony is getting Bungie for 3.6 billion
Square Enix sold off most of its western assets to Embracer Group for 300 million
EA acquired Codemasters last year
And Activision-Blizzard joins Microsoft with Bethesda for nearly 75 Billion

Today, Zynga (makers of social and mobile gaming hits like Farmville) was acquired by Take-Two for 12.7 Billion.

Also, EA is now looking to sell itself or merge with another company

The intent is reportedly a result of seeing Microsoft spend over 70 BILLION to acquire Activision. To me, it feels like the board/major shareholders got bit by a greed bug and are just looking for a big payout. Reportedly, Comcast was close to a deal, but fell through on price and the future company structure. Reportedly a stipulation to the deal is that EA CEO Andrew Wilson would become CEO of the newly combined company.

Obviously, this is a greed play. Of the major players approached; Disney and Comcast/Universal surprise me given both divested themselves from gaming years ago. So it baffles me that EA approached Disney for a merger or sale. That's not even addressing the fact major players like Microsoft, Sony, Disney either don't have the money, or have already spent billions on other major purchases. Apple, Amazon and Google have the money, but it would likely be a full buyout. And of those, Apple is kind of off doing its own thing while Amazon has been the most proactive in getting into gaming and would probably be the best position to leverage the existing EA. After Stadia's flop, I think Google is a little gun-shy about getting back into gaming.

We'll see what happens, but I know Warner (at least prior to the Discovery sale/merger) were looking into selling off their own video game assets.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I can think of one company I'd love to see buy them out, but the last time their owner was asked, he said he wasn't intere—
Reportedly, Comcast was close to a deal, but fell through on price and the future company structure. Reportedly a stipulation to the deal is that EA CEO Andrew Wilson would become CEO of the newly combined company.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, they're serious, let me laugh even harder

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I probably should analyze rather than reflexively meme, but I happened to have this image lying around, and well, if you know, you know....
a5d.jpg

Of course, Team Salvato doesn't have the sort of money that's likely in play lying around. When your breakout game was the low, low price of free....

Megatronus Prime

Citizen
ea required us to pay a bunch for a single sentence, and now they're selling themselves for a bunch. their reign has come to an end after all these years.

Top Bottom