The US Supreme Court and its decisions

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
They're conservative Americans. They don't need justification, they can just claim the Bible said so and their rabid supporters will choke it down without question. That none of them have ever bothered to actually read the Bible is irrelevant.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
As I saw someone else put it, they're trying to set it up so each state has it's own jurisdiction with little to no Federal oversight. Effectively seceding in all but name. At best they're trying to get something akin to the original Confederation of States that failed before the Constitution was made, or the original ideal of Federalism, which can't really work in the modern era given how interconnected everything is IMO. And either way it allows certain states to finally live their dream of becoming unofficial theocracies.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
As I saw someone else put it, they're trying to set it up so each state has it's own jurisdiction with little to no Federal oversight. Effectively seceding in all but name. At best they're trying to get something akin to the original Confederation of States that failed before the Constitution was made, or the original ideal of Federalism, which can't really work in the modern era given how interconnected everything is IMO. And either way it allows certain states to finally live their dream of becoming unofficial theocracies.
If that's the goal: then the outcome is predictable. The world will trade with the states that are willing to be reasonable in terms of basic human rights and laws, and the rest (say... 26 or so.) will become ever more refined and purified third world, poverty stricken hell holes.

Cause lets face: most of them already are anyway. Lots of room left to get worse though.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Honestly, at this point it would be better to narrow focus on local elections.

Unfortunately, I live in deep Red Nebraska. So I'm stuck with the Cult.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Here in Indiana it's the Christian Taliban for me, with the land of liberty and freedom named Illinois just a couple hours away. No weed or abortions for me. Not that I can have an abortion but the option would be nice.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Florida actually used to be the abortion haven of the southeast. DeSantis has vowed to change that.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Yeah, but... how do you reasonably justify that? With abortion, it's the "it's murder" argument. Again, major disagreement, but I can still see the argument.

With contraceptives, what actual harm do they cause that justifies banning them? It's like banning safety belts, or making it illegal not to carry a gun.
Honestly, before this past week, I'd have argued that "one doesn't have to be religious to understand the 'murder' argument," but we're getting to the point where "religion" (and, specifically, a specific variety of Christianity) is the out-and-out justification, and they're not even trying to hide it anymore.

Corvus

Citizen
Exactly. These are the stances of evangelical Christian Nationalists, or those who are simply using them as their base. This is the stuff they've been screeching about for almost 50 years. It's never been well-hidden, but now it's right out in the open.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Honestly, I thank God I actually sat down and read the Bible when I found my Faith instead of just being spoon fed the crap they serve on Sundays. That said, I still look back on my Facebook Memories of those early days and cringe at how close I came to becoming one of those whackadoodles.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Exactly. These are the stances of evangelical Christian Nationalists, or those who are simply using them as their base. This is the stuff they've been screeching about for almost 50 years. It's never been well-hidden, but now it's right out in the open.
Well, the "they" in my post was specifically the Supreme Court, which has shifted more recently, but your comments about the evangelical right wing more generally are certainly acknowledged.

Corvus

Citizen
Thanks for that clarification. And you're absolutely right about that sudden shift, thanks mostly to a POTUS who lost the popular vote.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I no longer take methatrexate (and being male, would be unlikely to have an abortion, anyway), but I do remember being told that I couldn't (or shouldn't) father a child while taking it, because it could cause severe genetic defects.

But, ultimately, this shouldn't be about banning the potential treatment (for me, it was for psoriatic arthritis, and worked fairly well... except it also caused minor liver damage, which is why I stopped taking it), but rather about making sure that those who take it are informed of the potential side effects (which, of course, should be happening anyway).

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Yet another decision increasing the power of individual states over Federal.

In summary from another tweet on it:

…this is a big hugging deal. This extends the state’s jurisdiction in Indian Country (legal name for tribal lands) to include crimes committed against Indians by non-Indians. Formerly, unless state was requested to assist by the tribe, only the federal government could do so.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:

On the one hand, public school prayer is back. On the other hand, I grew up with school prayer, so trust me when I say that forcing people to recite those words every day does NOT endear your religion to them.

Only the GOP would force a 15-year old girl to have a baby against her will, and then treat her like shit for the rest of her life because she exhibited such poor judgement by having a kid at 15.

Are you guilty of the crime of sodomy? According to the Texas statute, the crime of sodomy or "Deviate sexual intercourse" is "any contact between any part of the genitals of one person and the mouth or anus of another person".

Let's emphasize just how broad this law is: you are literally guilty under the Texas anti-sodomy statute if any part of your genitals has ever touched another person's mouth.

What percentage of the sexually active population has NOT committed this crime? Sure, Mike Pence can rest easy, but what about the rest of us?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
So when does the rest of the world invade the US? Cause now it's literally dangerous for non citizens as well.

Top Bottom