The US Supreme Court and its decisions

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Biden always was going to be a "Custodial" Presidency. Man's decision to get us out of Afghanistan despite the backlash was done because he always intended to be a single term President. He never wanted the job in the first place.
And yet he's going to run for reelection anyway just to block any actual progressives from getting the job, bet my life on it.

MrBlud

Citizen
And yet he's going to run for reelection anyway just to block any actual progressives from getting the job, bet my life on it.

I’m really hoping Sanders primaries him.

Him with AOC as Vice President, I feel like *now* after people got a taste of Biden’s complete ineffectuality they’ll be way more open to people who will actually get things done and protect rights.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Wow, had to look it up, but AOC turns 35 less than one month before the 2024 elections. She could potentially run. Sanders is 80 NOW. He'll be 82 for the next presidential election. I'm not sure he'd be able to run even if he wants to. Problem is even if AOC runs, i'm not sure if she could win. The right-wing media machine has been running a smear campaign on her since before she got her house seat. They are scared to death of her and will throw everything they've got at her if she ends up being nominated for the executive branch.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Bernie also has the stigma of two failed runs and the stink of the "Bernie bros" on him.

The right-wing media machine will turn the full brunt of its power against anyone who runs, as they have already been doing against Biden. At this point the only thing that matters is how well a candidate can appeal to the people in spite of it. And Bernie has already proven that he can't.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
But anyone except Bernie will have the Bernie-or-bust crowd working against them as well. Regardless of whether or not he even runs. It's a mess.

Ungnome

Citizen
True. I'm simply afraid that AOC could be Hillary 2.0 given how Fox News and it's ilk have treated her since she appeared on the political scene(they've been after her since 2018, she's already one of Fox New's biggest boogeymen and shes ONLY in the House at this point). Granted Hillary's history was a bit of an issue for left leaning folks as well. AOC doesn't have that problem at least.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I hate to say it but the best case scenario might be one where Biden dies in office and Harris takes over that way.

Ungnome

Citizen
I'm afraid you're right, or at least one where he realizes he's not up for the job and decides NOT to run in 2024.

MrBlud

Citizen
But then Harris would have to run and people are even less enthused about her than Biden.

The Republicans have a very deep, young bench that is supported largely by the RNC. Don’t get me wrong, they’re evil monsters but they’re not marginalized by the leadership the way the DNC downplays “The Squad” and their allies.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
AOC will never get within range of the White House. Much like Hillary Clinton, the GOP is terrified of her and have spent hundreds of thousands of media hours slandering her. And, frankly, she's embraced it and become a massively polarizing figure.

Bernie will also never be president. I think we're all tired of old white men. I honestly don't believe he'd survive the office. If the Bernie Bros want to be shits, then let them burn in the fires of their own purity. Damn shame we all have a stake on the same blaze.

I don't have any faith in Biden doing a damn thing with the Supreme Court at this point. He's old, set in his ways, and doesn't understand the new dynamics. We need someone different. Despite being teed up, I don't think Harris is the next leader of the party. I'd like to see Warren at this point. Or, I'll again harp on Tammy Duckworth, but I've been dying on that hill for a while now.

The Supreme Court will continue to take us down a bad road. I do believe there will be a course correction, it's just a matter of when. History proves that as well.
With regards to Roe, I think we need to be done thinking short term. Legislation can be overturned. States can be coerced. We need something untouchable. We need the Equal Rights Amendment. With that no state law, no twisted SCOTUS ruling can remove a woman's body autonomy.

Let's get the ERA done.

MrBlud

Citizen
I’d be fine with Warren but she’s also quite old.

Also, “doing and saying popular things” is a pretty low bar to qualify for “massively polarizing”. Hillary Clinton is massively polarizing because of yes the decades long bad faith right wing witch-hunt but ALSO because she does gross shit like give $100,000 speeches to Goldman Sachs about how they’re all great and she’s definitely not doing it in a TAX THE RICH dress…

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
AOC has accomplished nothing and seems to think her district is Twitter. Republicans are not afraid of her. They are praying every day to have the chance to run against the lady who reports you to HR for not saying "Latinx." She would win Massachusetts, maybe, depending on if it rained.

Bernie is 300 years old and has never won against a serious opponent.

Tammy Duckworth is an actually plausible candidate, but the base, and the media, would never go for her.

The closest thing the Democrats have to a chance is Gavin Newsom. He'd probably lose to Desantis, but it would be a real fight, not a massacre.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
AOC has accomplished nothing and seems to think her district is Twitter. Republicans are not afraid of her. They are praying every day to have the chance to run against the lady who reports you to HR for not saying "Latinx." She would win Massachusetts, maybe, depending on if it rained.

Bernie is 300 years old and has never won against a serious opponent.

Tammy Duckworth is an actually plausible candidate, but the base, and the media, would never go for her.

The closest thing the Democrats have to a chance is Gavin Newsom. He'd probably lose to Desantis, but it would be a real fight, not a massacre.

Yep, another Neoliberal Democrat is just what we need to get ourselves out of the mess the past three put us in!

Even better it be someone who disobeyed his own pandemic rules to party with his ******* lobbyist friends…

Nevermore

Citizen
I can kinda, sorta understand banning abortion and gay marriage (though I very certainly do not agree with it), but how the friggin' frizzles can you reasonably ban contraceptives? What's next, make smoking tobacco mandatory?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
I believe the thinking here is that contraceptives let people have sex lots more and sex is evil unless it's between a married man and woman who are attempting to make a baby.

Nevermore

Citizen
Yeah, but... how do you reasonably justify that? With abortion, it's the "it's murder" argument. Again, major disagreement, but I can still see the argument.

With contraceptives, what actual harm do they cause that justifies banning them? It's like banning safety belts, or making it illegal not to carry a gun.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Because its not specifically mentioned in the constitution.

They don't need reasons: they need to string enough words together to form a sentence. They WANT this, and I doubt you could even find someone capable of articulating WHY they want it other than...

Awwww, ****, figured it out. They want contraceptives banned because they hate women telling them to put on a rubber.

Top Bottom