The US Supreme Court and its decisions

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Eh, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. If you're gonna go with a voucher program instead of, you know, ACTUALLY FIXING PUBLIC SCHOOLS(maybe not tying school funding to the property taxes collected in a specific school district for a start), it's kinda hard to exclude religious schools from the voucher program without also stepping on the religious freedom bits, if the school is properly accredited at least. Now if said vouchers ONLY extend to Christian/Jewish private schools and not, say Muslim or Hindu ones, I'd agree with you 100%.

NovaSaber

Citizen
If it's in any way endorsed by the government, it's part of what people's rights are supposed to be protected from.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Hmm. I wonder if there's such a thing as a Buddhist school. In western countries, I mean.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Supreme Court just struck down New York's concealed carry law. Absolutely stunning and will lead to a lot of other state gun control laws going extinct. Really sad day. And I assume Roe falls next. Crazy time to be alive.

Ungnome

Citizen
Funny how municipalities were allowed to ban firearms within their borders back in the 19th century, but NOW it's unconstitutional.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It just goes to show what a recent phenomenon "strict constructionists" really are. For generations, the US government has been run by people who mutually agreed to ignore any part of the Constitution they found inconvenient, because it's easier than trying to change it to reflect our modern values.

Hopefully this will get people to push to repeal the 2nd amendment like we should have done a long time ago.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
The actual word of it is an incomprehensible mess of ambiguity and obsolete language. At the bare minimum it needs to be reworded to say exactly what we want it to mean.

I don't claim to understand how the National Guard works, but I doubt a blanket repeal of the 2nd amendment would cause it to poof out of existence.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Repealing the 2nd amendment is DOA. We don't have the votes to pass it. Don't have the 2/3rds of states to ratify it. Passing it alone would be political suicide for a generation of Democrats.

Think of something else because the 2nd is going nowhere.

Ungnome

Citizen
Remember people, boycotts aren't free speech but donating millions to political campaigns IS.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Today's gun decision isn't that big a deal. They didn't strike down all requirements to get a concealed carry license, or anything like that. States can still require a background check, mental health check, training, whatever. Nothing like that got overturned. Maybe this court will go there eventually, but they haven't done it yet.

The issue with New York's law is it didn't define what its own requirements were, and their legal team had a hard time explaining it. One of their lawyers (possibly realizing they were losing their case) seemed to offer that if the court upheld the law they could make the requirements more clear. The court didn't feel like doing that kind of work so they struck the whole thing down.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Mother fuckers actually did it.
We saw the anvil falling with the leak. This is it hitting the pavement.

Also just remembered something the dissenting justices could have done if they were willing to play games to stop it. You need a quorum of 6 members to issue a decision. If all 4 dissenters had recused themselves, the court would have lacked a quorum and been unable to reach a decision, which meant the apellate decision would have stood(which I believe preserved Roe?). The reason I call it playing games as it would then become a valid tactic on ANY decision that is split 5-4, which is obviously a double-edged sword, which may be why they didn't do it.

Last edited:

Paladin

Citizen
Countdown begins to Democratic leadership encouraging us to "vote our way back to Roe" while doing absolutely nothing else.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
It gets worse.

Clarence Thomas issued an opinion attached that they should take a second look at the courts decisions that legalized contraception, gay marriage and gay sex.

We're fucked, thanks for playing stupid games everyone who didn't listen to our warnings about this in 2016. We literally told you this was what they wanted, literally.

This country is literally steamrolling towards fascism and a pretty telegraphed LGBT+ genocide.

Top Bottom