The US Supreme Court and its decisions

Nevermore

Citizen

She makes a valid point. If you insist on counting a fetus as a person, then you should count it as a person everywhere.
It only counts when it's convenient for the Republican agenda. This pregnant Essjaydubya shouldn't be even driving a car, she should be at home and leave politics to men, who obviously know better than her.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

She makes a valid point. If you insist on counting a fetus as a person, then you should count it as a person everywhere.
Ahh, "logic". That's akin to "witchcraft" for many Republicans and their ilk...

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I assure you its merely hypocracy. See: they can't abide by anyone NOT giving as much as possible to the oil companies. So carpool lanes? NOPE! Get your ass back into traffic.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I dunno, it's Texas. I think there's a 50/50 chance she gets out of the ticket.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
They aren't going to open that can of worms. Because then people start claiming the unborn as dependents on Taxes.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Can't claim a dependant without a social security number, don't get a number without a birth certificate.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Then someone clever will sue over that and see what happens.
It'll happen within the year. I'll be what little (no) money I have on it.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Pretty sure he's been saying that since the original ruling, just a bit more ominous given the current courts recent rulings.

NovaSaber

Citizen

The issue, in this case, was not whether Cummings was discriminated against, but rather what to do in response to the discrimination she faced. The Supreme Court’s answer? Nothing could be done.

For the first time, the court held that emotional distress damages were not recoverable in a private action to enforce anti-discrimination laws. In its argument, the court applied contract law to hold that damages cannot include compensation for emotional suffering since emotional distress damages are not traditionally available in suits of breach of contract.

Despite studies routinely showing that discrimination can cause significant emotional damage, potentially affecting a person’s stress levels, self-esteem, blood pressure, and overall mental health, the court claimed these harms do not warrant a remedy.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
and we continue our slide downward.
I hope whoever comes after Biden rips this court to pieces. I'm pretty done waiting for him to actually do a ******* thing. Useless.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Biden was never going to be more than a caretaker president. He also has the, unfortunate, chance to preside over the rise of american fascism. Besides, we know that regardless of whom was sitting in his chair: they probably wouldn't fare much better because the republicans are intent on absolute obstruction and have been for decades now. When the people you NEED to reason with cannot be reasoned with: you can't achieve anything.

Edit: don't get me wrong: biden needs to called out for his absolute inaction, but be real here: he only won because he was a person who was not trump.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
He was also coasting on a lot of good will left over from Obama.

It's clear Biden never wanted the job in the first place, but I wish the dude had just been a custodian President back in 2016 and maybe torpedoed the Republican Party's transformation into the Republicult.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Don't blame him for that: because even if he had been there to torpedo it, it wouldn't have stopped the transformation. The republicans basic ideology (and conservative ideology in general.) will always end in fascism: that's what happens beliefs stagnate in the face of change. If you are unwilling to adapt: you will eventually change anyway and always for the worse.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Stop? No.
But it would have set back the Christofascist movement by several decades since Trump was such a wrecking ball. A drastic hit against him on his initial run wouldn't have let other Christofascists crawl out of the walls and not even remotely hide what they are.

Hell, they're outright embracing the label of "Christian Nationalist".

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Also, the Republican mainstream never dreamed that they could get away with just telling everyone flat-out "We just want the world to burn and don't care who knows it" and still get votes until Trump did it out of a sheer inability to keep up a façade in the first place. People who have to hide their intentions are also limited in how much, and how quickly, they can push their agenda.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Stop? No.
But it would have set back the Christofascist movement by several decades since Trump was such a wrecking ball. A drastic hit against him on his initial run wouldn't have let other Christofascists crawl out of the walls and not even remotely hide what they are.

Hell, they're outright embracing the label of "Christian Nationalist".
Nationalist Christians.

Nat-Cs.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Top Bottom