The US Supreme Court and its decisions

Cyoti

Citizen
Oh please. Obama was even more culpable than Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush II. He tried to anoint Hillary as his successor and that backfired spectacularly with Trump winning the election and flipping the court. Outside of Clinton and Trump, he is the person most responsible for this disaster. Not to mention Biden was his VP. And then he left us all hanging to clean up the mess he created.

I am not even going to point out how much the mess in Ukraine was his fault and that Putin/Gerasimov's hybrid warfare and interference in the elections was caused by his handling of relations with Russia.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
And of course it was under his policies that the banks that nearly started a second Great Depression—and broke several laws in the process—were given a free ride and the rest of us got squat. And for that he was handed a Nobel Prize and unanimous praise from the media outside of Fox News, which no doubt fed the disillusionment that helped Trump (who had been one of his strongest critics) win.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Theoretical/historical question...

While this theoretically was a joke, has that argument been made before the SC in the past? This feels like how you'd get state religions(for individual states) and such, and I know those existed at one point - Massachusetts apparently had one in the early 1800s I believe. And what else could they pull with this sort of argument - 2A doesn't specifically call out Congress so you can't turn the argument around against it unfortunately.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I used to think the 10th amendment's wording only granted rights to the states that hadn't been explicitly taken away from the federal government—I swear I was actually taught that in school—but I reread it the other day and apparently I'd been misreading it all along. That's what inspired my "the Constitution is garbage" comment earlier.

NovaSaber

Citizen
The 14th amendment says that federally-guaranteed rights (mostly the Bill of Rights) have priority over state law, and also that state laws must apply equally to everyone.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Just have to convince Alito that the Bill of Rights aren't a long standing tradition within the United States.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
America was built upon the premise of the double standard. The Rich and the Powerful are governed by different rules. The rules that apply to the poor, the disenfranchised, minorities do not chain the Elite.
That's why the evangelical end is so terrified of the sea change that's been coming. They do not want to abide by the rules the rest of us have had to live with. They're terrified of losing their double standard. And so they will lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, do anything they can to maintain their power and that standard they've become accustomed to.

Until we realize they're at war with us and respond accordingly, they will continue to hold their boots to our necks.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Given the supreme courts current actions, local and state elections are more important than ever. The only way to stem the tide is to retake state legislatures and governorships. They want to strip the people of their ability to choose electors and give it to the state legislatures, let's make sure Republicans DON'T have majorities in them.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
There is no way to do that in quite a few states. Here in the midwest Democrats have no chance. Regardless of the direction things are going, you are not going to sweep democrat majorities in a lot of state houses.

Here in Kansas we have a democrat governor. But she's not doing well, frankly. And the odds of giving her a democrat controlled house and senate is an impossibility. You cannot convince the local shitkickers that the dems are anything other than pedophile rapists who kill and eat babies. They are exposed to the worst of the worst propaganda from AM radio, fox, and every other asinine source. The mass brainwashing through media has produced results.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
There is no way to do that in quite a few states. Here in the midwest Democrats have no chance.
[...]
You cannot convince the local shitkickers that the dems are anything other than pedophile rapists who kill and eat babies.

This. I remember in the before times bringing this up constantly about my own state of Nebraska. The last real Democrat to run for Governor here was a Nazi apologist (back when that was a deal breaker for Republicans). Since that campaign, I don't even see an occasional yard sign supporting a Democrat any longer.

Local and State elections **are** incredibly important, but it's also incredibly important to understand that for a large swath of the country, that war is already lost.

It took Fortenberry lying to the FBI for that Dubya era appointed seat filler to become dislodged, only to be replaced by Mike Flood. Who while nationally is pretty much a unknown but here in Nebraska is one of the state's "celebrities" and very, *very* well-to-do and well off.

So we traded an inoffensive seat filler for someone with a vested interest in keeping Nebraska exactly the way it always has been that has resulted in such success for he himself.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
There was a time that I'd seriously considered moving out of California because it would be cheaper to live elsewhere. Now I'm not so sure. It might just be worth going broke if it means keeping my civil rights.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
This. I remember in the before times bringing this up constantly about my own state of Nebraska. The last real Democrat to run for Governor here was a Nazi apologist (back when that was a deal breaker for Republicans). Since that campaign, I don't even see an occasional yard sign supporting a Democrat any longer.

Local and State elections **are** incredibly important, but it's also incredibly important to understand that for a large swath of the country, that war is already lost.

It took Fortenberry lying to the FBI for that Dubya era appointed seat filler to become dislodged, only to be replaced by Mike Flood. Who while nationally is pretty much a unknown but here in Nebraska is one of the state's "celebrities" and very, *very* well-to-do and well off.

So we traded an inoffensive seat filler for someone with a vested interest in keeping Nebraska exactly the way it always has been that has resulted in such success for he himself.

I really do wonder if the rest of the nation understands just how deep the brainwashing is here in the red states. Like, just how bad it is when you're out in a field and the only thing you can get on the radio is an AM station with a deep right wing bend. Hours upon hours listening to these twisted viewpoints, all reinforced with real sounding "facts" and statistics.

You cannot fight this level of reinforcement. An argument on facebook, a two second news blurb will never be able to break through literal days and months of brainwashing.

MrBlud

Citizen
It doesn’t seem to motivate more than 25% of the state to vote towards it though.

Not quite sure how to fix that but I do take some solace in the fact only about 30% of the country actively works towards it being/becoming a dystopian hellscape. Even if around 50% seem to be fine with things either way…

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Oh, trust me, I know. I lived for decades in TN. There ARE states where it can make a difference. Places like Pennsylvania, Virginia, the southwestern states(excluding Utah) and possibly Georgia. Heck Texas might even be in that list. Might even be enough to keep the Court from eviscerating the will of the people.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I doubt that. The Supreme Court we have now has an agenda. They will pick the cases they think will advance their brand of conservative causes and push forward. They've worked for decades to get to this point. They're not going to sit still.

Top Bottom