The Twit destroying Twitter is a Twaitor

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
It's kind of sad to see how much effort he's putting into avoiding that tiny bit of introspection that might lead him to start to consider that the reason his daughter cut ties might actually be his fault.

But narccisists gotta narccis, I guess.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Honestly it just gets more and more baffling to me that Musk was able to have kids in the first place. He does not seem human enough to convince anyone to have sex with him concentually, even once, let alone tolerate the presence of children in his life.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
He has ludicrous sums of money... so convincing people to copulate with him is simple. And his frank and obvious ignorance and sociopathy explains the children.

MrBlud

Citizen
You could get almost anyone to sleep with you for sums of money vanishingly smaller than 200 billion dollars.

Having a child pretty much locks you (and the child) into a portion of that for the rest of your life as well. The richest person in the world finding you desirable enough to sleep with is likely a pretty substantial ego boost too I’d imagine.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
There's also the fact that maybe he had a little more humility at some point in the past. He's been king of the Tech-Bros for over a decade now and I'm sure the feedback loop resulting from that has likely made him more unhinged than he was before.

Ungnome

Citizen
He's a troll. One of the most effected tools against trolls is simply blocking them, so OF COURSE he wants that gone.

Ironbite4

Citizen
He removes that feature, that's it. The site is dead.

Ironbite-cause nobody will want to use it then.

Ungnome

Citizen
Problem is there is no alternative to Twitter, currently at least, that has enough cultural currency to displace it.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Twitter was a very happy accident that came about just as Facebook was starting to become big. And they were able to capitalize on a lot of Zuckerberg's mistakes with that platform. The only reason Twitter's been able to outlast isn't because it catered to the far left. It was able to be flexible and adaptive to a changing market. A market that didn't include catering to Nazis. Now that Musky's gone full stupid and is attempting to appease the neckbeards and incels, he's seeing that market shrink on him. That's his issue right now. He doesn't see that the people he's courting, the people who worship every fart from his ass, are people who have no money whatsoever.

As for what platform will step up to fill in Twitter, who knows. Hive had some buzz but that's died down noticeably. Masterdon's too technical for people to really get into and Bluesky's just speed running Twitter's issues. Maybe we all go back to Facebook for awhile while the next Twitter rises from the ashes.

Ironbite-or Muskrat sells the company to someone for a song and they turn it around, who knows.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I would prefer that the internet remain devoid of anything recognizably similar to Twitter for the rest of time, myself, but too many people have grown too used to it being around to accept that. These days, the only way to drive traffic to any part of the internet other than the five social networks people are currently glued to is through links from those social networks. If a person leaves Twitter, they have effectively become invisible. Nonexistent. Unpersoned. No platform with which to promote whatever site you've migrated to. And it seems that the only way you can get people to want to use a new site or app is by being demonstrably worse than what came before it, e.g. TikTok.

Anonymous X

Citizen
I’m beginning to think it a positive that Mastodon isn’t going to be a mass-market, mass appeal thing, and basically won’t ever be giving the nature of how it works. Social media was a mistake.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I know quite a few smaller independent commission artists are afraid to leave Twitter because they make their living off commissions and they can't or don't want to try rebuilding an audience elsewhere. The advantage is discoverability by the masses, who, as you said, are glued to a social media of choice, or google. They don't want to rely on art sites as those lean disproportionately to other artists, not normies who'd buy their stuff, and other social medias require that risk of rebuilding your audiance if the masses aren't moving there too. They've just relied on that confluence of Twitter pulling in everyone for so long that they don't know how or if they can market out to people who may not have heard of them before, while still maintaining enough of an income to hang on until then.

TikTok's advantage over Twitter is they did a better job at algorithming, and got the kids on board. It's major disadvantage is that it's video focused, so it's not a good fit for people who prefer text or for 2D artists looking for or showing off their work(at least to my knowledge)

If it wasn't for the panic over a non-American-operated social media rising to prominance, I'd put it up as what will end up taking over the social media zeirgeist, but with things as they are, Twitter is gonna be running on inertia and I don't see a full replacement happening that'll pick up everyone up for the next few years.

MrBlud

Citizen
Well, *I* hate it because it’s primarily video when I prefer text.

That would be true even if the CCP weren’t using it as a data vacuum (which they absolutely are)

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There is a difference though between giving away access to the data you do have, and hoovering up all the data on the phone against your will and without your knowledge - the latter is what the people trying to ban it are claiming is happening as I recall. They also are arguing for a specific ban on it, rather than a general privacy law, and using that to push their own surveillance increases, which suggests that the whole outrage isn't about the CCP, but to eliminate a competitor and get the online surveillance levels they've been trying for with other bills for a while.

Though honestly that's another topic entirely *gestures to the "Who's breaking the internet thread" but that's the reason I'm leaning more towards it being about a foreign competitor than the CCP. The video thing though is enough to make it a no-go for me personally too, irregardless of anything else, but apparently that's what the kids seem to do these days? Facebook belongs to the older generation, and Twitter was going the same way even before Musk. I'll be curious though to see what displaces TikTok among the Gen Alpha or whatever they're calling them now, as that'll likely become the "new" Twitter, assuming things re-centralize.

Usenet > Forums > Facebook > Twitter > TikTok > ????

Top Bottom