The Twit destroying Twitter is a Twaitor

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
HOW!? HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK!? WHAT THE HELL IS THE LOGIC BEHIND THIS!?

Ironbite-god he's an idiot.
Well, it does increase the size of his database backend, as that has to be a massive table. I can't imaginge how much money he would save by its removal, but it can't be worth the bad press or the loss of a feature.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I've heard of sites being so badly programmed that basic features are a huge drain on resources. For example, there was one site where, any time a popular user made a post, it caused a lag spike as the server generated the thousands of notification messages for all their followers. The only way they could think to fix it without overhauling the UI was to reprogram it to generate the notifications in smaller batches over a longer period of time.

But that was a site designed and coded by complete amateurs in their free time back in the early 2000s. Twitter at least used to have a staff of competent professionals working for it. Unless Elon demanded that the entire codebase be rewritten during the brief time he's been in charge, he's more likely talking out of his ass and just trying to stop people from blocking him and his cronies.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
A very professional business run in a very professional way. This is the biggest brain way to handle PR. (And yes, it does actually respond with that from what I've seen.)

980d97c5dd211cec.jpg

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
As I've said elsewhere about this: Further proof money can't buy class.

Elon Musk continues to demonstrate just how truly unprepared he is to deal with any sort of adversity. That poop emoji is like every other response he has to conflict, a distraction. He cannot provide any real answers so he sets up something asinine and gets everyone talking about that in the hopes the original questions are buried.

Elon is surrounded by Yes Men, led by a guy literally called the "Elon Whisperer". The chances that he actually understands just how bad things are looking is slim at best.

Ironbite4

Citizen
While that's true, in Muskrat's case, not so much. He tied up so much of his wealth in Tesla that every wrong move he makes at Twitter dooms that company.

Ironbite-so he fails with Twitter...he fails with everything else.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
He's a "genius innovator". Even if he hit rock bottom there will always be someone willing to give him money, expecting him to rise again. His brand is such that, at least at this point, he'll never want for money.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Steam doesn't have as many people talking trash about him that he wants to ban. Or at least, he hasn't noticed them.

Ironbite4

Citizen
So April 1st, that's the day all the non-Blue Twitter check marks where supposed to go away right? RIGHT!? Wrong.

Turns out that there's no real database of Blue Checkmarks outside of an Excel Spreadsheet that now 3-4 people have to go through and manually decheck mark everyone.

Ironbite-there's 500,000 legacy checkmarks.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Which just means people he hates like the New York Times were first to be unchecked.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That's... how does that even happen? Surely there was a database back before Twitter Blue was a thing, because reading data off a database is how dynamic websites work. And even if there wasn't, there have to at least be a table of who has a checkmark, and a table of who's a paid Twitter Blue person... so all they'd have to do is cross-index those and delete the checkmarks from everyone who's not in the second list. It's not like Twitter is made out of handcrafted HTML.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
That's what I was thinking... How can you run a website like twitter without at least some rudimentary user database.... Shouldn't the verified flag just be part of said database and if it's NOT why wouldn't it be done that way. I think someone is lying about the situation.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
It could be that they had a spreadsheet they maintained with additional information that you wouldn't have in a database table. Stuff like why they were verified in the first place, possibly some contact details, notes, etc.

In any case, they've solved the problem by making the message intentionally vague when you click on the tick mark:

Top Bottom