The Toku Thread

Cyoti

Citizen
DonBrothers just straight-up putting elbows & knees on the Megazord now.
It was literally one of the designer's kids who wanted more poseability that apparently convinced them to do this. The production committees are really out of touch in regards to toys.

Edit: To give you an example Shirakura who is in his late 50s when asking for how to make sentai robots popular again went looking for help from a guy who was pushing 81 and known for not caring about toys.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'm definitely interested in checking out Shin Kamen Rider whenever it comes out. Whatever happened to Shin Ultraman, anyway? *goes to look it up* Oh...it comes out TODAY in Japan. Well, I guess reviews will probably come trickling in, at some point.

As for Sentai robots. I think part of the problem is that they're trying to sell SO MANY little toys, that the combined robot itself doesn't really look all that appealing, anymore. *gets out his cane and spectacles* Back in MY day, the combined robot was the main focus, not all the little doo-dads and secondary and tertiary robots, all sold separately. (I'll admit, there are exceptions to this). I can see more poseability being appealing, though.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oooh, wait, Geats...like Goths. Ancient warriors and stuff. (Yes, it took me THIS long to finally look up what "Geats" could actually mean)

A Kamen Rider based on different kinds of ancient warriors could be cool.

Unless "Geats" means something else entirely, like a acronym or something.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
"Kamen Rider Geats."
"Am I a joke to you?"

th-3490462998.jpg

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Crossover time!

ULTRAMAN-MARVEL-colors-rev.jpg

Ultraman, Ultraseven, and Taro will meet with Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Man! No word on if Spider-Man will get to use his mech or not. And, no love for Zoffy (arguably the second Ultraman), Jack (the third Ultraman), or Ace (who still came before Taro), huh? Sure, two of those guys are nigh-identical to original Ultraman, and Taro is FAR more iconic, but still.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Is it related to the Rise/Trial of Ultraman comics? Those might have skipped a few Ultras...I wouldn't know for sure because my local comic shop is terrible at pulls.

EDIT: Yeah, it ties in with the comic series, which plays fast and loose with the established Ultraman lore.

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
First episode of Ultraman Decker is out and it was fantastic. Much better start than Trigger. Can’t wait to see where they go with this.

Haywire

Citizen
I liked the first episode of Z better, but Decker has engaged me much more than Trigger, for sure. I can't wait for the next episode!

Ironbite4

Citizen
Decker certainly made things interesting in it's first episode. Helps the main character has a personality in this.

Ironbite-better start then Trigger is what I'll echo. See where this leads.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
I really need to get around to watching revice

I fell off of toei toku cause I had my fill of the misogyny, but revice finally gave us the "Heated Drama Between Women" I've been asking for! It's very exciting to me

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, I do like that suit. It's like a combination between Faiz's suit and Kabuto pre-cast off (Masked Form). Looks like it's going to be video game focused from the billboards in the background. Or we're in for a season-long tournament arc. Not sure what the stylized A in the logo means.

Let's have a few more pictures of this suit:
20220721_050549.jpg

FYOqR2EX0AIY6pJ

Last edited:

Haywire

Citizen
So, I've watched through episode 3 of Decker, still enjoying it. Kinda wish I'd kept up with Trigger; at least the mecha were carried over (and it took me FAR too long to figure out what Nursedessei was), not sure what else. Also seems like I need to go back and rewatch Dyna.

Tangentially, I really wish we would get Taiga and Z released stateside on Blu-ray. The older series are still churning out, but the newer ones seem to have slowed down?

Top Bottom