The Toku Thread

AgentOrange

Citizen
With Ryuki officially subbed and streaming now, just go one more and give me a full Faiz with decent quality and Kamen Rider can crash and burn in the US again I'll be set

Paladin

Citizen
for the upcoming Beyond Generations film, the role of original Kamen Rider 1 Takeshi Hongo will be played by Maito Fujioka- son of the original Rider 1 Hiroshi Fujioka.

Attachments

• Kamen Rider Beyond Generations Fujioka.jpg
    Kamen Rider Beyond Generations Fujioka.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 84

Paladin

Citizen
Super Sentai #46- "Avataro Sentai DonBrothers."

Attachments

150.6 KB · Views: 74

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, it's a "adaptation" of Momotaro, the Peach Boy. Okay, so that explains the "taro". I'm guessing the "Don" is more the onomatopoeia, like BOOM or KAPOW. And the Avatar part seems to be hinting at some sort of video game tie-in, especially with the D-pads on their boots.

Also, I guess the Pink and Black rangers are going to be completely CGI? That's...a choice. It explains why the black dog is so chibi in the poster.

And Yellow is a Oni. There's probably a interesting backstory, there.

I think I like these suits. I might need to see them more in action, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. The lines give me Shinkenger vibes. Not sure about the plastic "vests" and shoulder pads, but it'll probably look okay.

I'm reading in the comments that Inoue (Jetman, Agito, 555, Hibiki, Kiva) will be the one writing this season. He's...uneven, but usually entertaining.

EDIT:
We have more magazine scans of the rangers.
Screenshot_20211223-101442_Teams.jpg
Donbrothers-InuBrother.png

OOF....Pink's long alien-like legs and and Black's oversized hands and noodly arms are kind of uncanny. Maybe it'll look better in motion, but...eep.

Also, here's something that completely slipped by my radar: Spectreman Heroes, a western comic published by Antarctic Press (of Gold Digger fame!) and art by Matt Frank (of Godzilla fame!) which will spotlight various Japanese heroes, like...Zaborger and Lion Maru?
Those are some deep cuts. I guess they're all from P Productions. A toku company...I've never heard of, since they mostly worked during the 60s-70s.

First issue will be out in February. My guesses for the other three heroes? Spectreman (duh), Ambassador Magma (aka Space Giants), and Tetsujin Tiger Seven (who has a tiger head)

Last edited:

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
I just wanted to post that I got my Ultraman Grail: SHF Zero! It’s 20,000 years too early to miss this stunner.

Attachments

• B16C80FA-09D2-440D-A2A6-DF39FB93302A.jpeg
    B16C80FA-09D2-440D-A2A6-DF39FB93302A.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 80

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
...I kept telling myself that maybe it would look better in the fight scenes.

...Then they showed Black fighting. And the clearly green screened giant oni(?).

...Yeah, this is going to be a disaster, visually.

Though, I'm intrigued by...Dark Zenkaiser? I'm not sure who that is. It's...possible the story could still be okay. *Inoue approaches!*

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
We probably should have expected something like this, but I'm still surprised.
sjhu-emblem.jpg.png

Shin Japan Heroes Universe, a crossover between all the Hideaki Anno's Shin franchises: Evangelion, Godzilla, Ultraman, and Kamen Rider.

We...probably shouldn't expect much more than some merchandise and maybe a manga...but I've seen worse ideas for crossovers, this might have legs. (...Although, Kamen Rider is a little out-matched, here)..

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
If it was one of the newer guys like Ex-Aid (who has a literal god mode) or Gaim (who is just straight-up a god), they might be on the same level. J might have a chance, since his whole thing is growing giant. Or if there were a whole team of them like in the video above, yeah, that could work, too. Even as far as Showa stuff goes, I think only X and Amazon have experience with fighting giants like King Dark and Golgos.

But a version of the original Kamen Rider working alone? I guess we know nothing about Shin (not to be confused with the 90s Shin...or his son, Shin, from the toys expanded universe), but...I'm getting more a "street level" feel from him, just from the promos we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
It's the problem of only having a week or two to do the animation.

And it's not that the animation is -that- bad. It's more that the lighting is bad.

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
ANOTHER GRAIL DOWN! A bonus prompted me to grab this guy at a still overpriced but not too terrible deal off the Bay of E. Gonna spend some good time getting pics of this masterpiece of evil later.

My last two grails are Titus and Fuma. Fuma is easy enough to get at the moment but Titus is over the top ridiculously priced and I don’t want to get one without the other.

09E3D95D-9BD2-4BDC-B926-5F2B3571DE43.jpeg

BTW, for those other Ultrafans out there, Ultraman Connection Live will be premiering the Ultraman Trigger movie online this weekend! I’ve bought my ticket and can’t wait!

Paladin

Citizen
DonBrothers just straight-up putting elbows & knees on the Megazord now.

Attachments

• DX Don Onitaijin.png
    DX Don Onitaijin.png
    966.1 KB · Views: 67

Top Bottom