The Super Mario Bros. Movie

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I loved the original movie precisely because of evocative of the era and how bad it was.

Glitch

Citizen
I recall a letter to a multiplat publication in the late nineties asking why they haven't made a film for Legend of Zelda when they have for Mario, Street Fighter, Double Dragon and Mortal Kombat, the answer was "You've answered your own question."

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Lol. The mortal Kombat movie was pretty good though. It was definitely the best movie about a video game for a long time.

Like here are my Top 10 Video Game movies:

1. Warcraft - Highly underrated film
2. Detective Pikachu - an amazing movie that you can watch over and over again with the family.
3. Sonic - See above.
4. Mortal Kombat - Best Video game movie for almost 20 years.
5. Tomb Raider (2018) - Great film version of the latest remake.
6. Angry Birds - A neat story to add to the game.
7. Sonic 2 - a good sequel.
8. Resident Evil: Apocalypse - See above.
9. Doom - a fun little romp.
10. Resident Evil

I hope that this Mario film knocks one of the list. It has everything it needs to except a good Mario voice actor.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I appreciated the twist near the end of Tomb Raider, to the point of making me wish they had thought of it for the game. But then I suppose they'd have been on the hook to have every subsequent game resolve in a similar way, whereas they could just not make any more movies.

Shadewing

Citizen

I've always liked the movie, and have defended it a few times in this thread. It's got a unique charm to it that everything that works, works well. Set designs, Cast, the fact that its trying to adapt game concepts as best they can back in an era where they had no idea how to do that. A lot of passion went into this movie, its not the best movie and I get why people don't like it. But for me there is more that works then doesn't. Like we all complain about Pratt not sounding like Mario... yet Bob Hopskin also lacked there, but his personality still works as brooklyn plumber. John Lequizamo is certainly not the typical Luigi, but he and Bob have a really damn good chemisty that you can see them as brothers. Dennis Hopper seems to love every minute of playing Koopa, same with Iggy and Spike, you can tell thier actors enjoyed those roles and they're actually fun characters. Its easy to tear down for what something does wrong, its harder to look past that and appreciate what it does right, or at least well.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
It was a bizzare, fun movie. Kinda like if Mario crossed with Total Recall. It definitely did its own thing while keeping general traits from the games.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Like we all complain about Pratt not sounding like Mario... yet Bob Hopskin also lacked there
In fairness, Hoskins' contemporaries/predecessors at that time were Walker Boone, Capt. Lou Albano, and Peter Cullen. Without a singular defined sound to Mario's voice, but more of a general feel, Hoskins took up the role as next in line from those quite well, in my opinion.

Compare to Chris Pratt, whose predecessor has been the singular voice of the character for nearly 30 years, longer than a lot of people eager to see this thing have been alive -- you either sound like him, or you don't.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Heck, I wouldn't have minded a return to the gruff Brooklyn-accented voice for this movie at all. Even now, 99% of the complete sentences Mario has uttered over the course of his life have been in some variant of that voice, and I'm the kind of person who's seen enough footage of the Super Show and various spoofs and YouTube Poops of it that it feels just as natural to me coming out of his face as Martinet's guy-on-the-pizza-box voice.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
As we keep going on about Pratt's Mario voice, this video just keeps becoming more and more relevant:

Blot

Citizen
Compare to Chris Pratt, whose predecessor has been the singular voice of the character for nearly 30 years, longer than a lot of people eager to see this thing have been alive -- you either sound like him, or you don't.
Thankfully, he don't.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, I have pre-ordered my tickets to go see it! I am taking my two oldest to go see it along with my brother and nephews. Should be fun if I can keep the kids from going too stir crazy.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Just got back from seeing it. It was fun.

Loads of fanservice references to the games, but we already knew that from the trailers. I will say that the trailers did a good job of not spoiling the movie's climax. Had no idea that that was going to happen in the long run.

The story was kept pretty simple, and wasn't anything emotionally deep like a Pixar movie, but that's not a bad thing. I had a few nitpicks here and there, but overall it was a very good attempt at a Super Mario Bros movie that stayed true to the spirit of the games.

And Peach was awesome. I can definitely see her being the breakout fan favorite of this movie.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
TMM and I got to see it yesterday, too! We haven't been to the theaters since the before times, they had smaller theaters but fancy comfy recliners with trays and everything. Crazy!

Anyway, I echo Sabrblade's thoughts. The start was kinda awkward and slow. Ending was rather fast. Some dialogue/plot felt a bit weird. Still, they didn't try to stuff TOO much into the movie. Graphics and sound were spectacular. I really like this version of Peach. Buuutttt... Bowser was the best. XD There's also a little teaser after the credits.

If you missed the teaser, and spoilers:
After ALL the credits, they show the NY sewers and the camera zooms to Yoshi's egg. TMM said the shot reminded him of the end of the American Godzilla movie in the 90's.

Also, I need more of Bowser singing! XD

Top Bottom