The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'm genuinely wondering if they poached some animators from Disney for this, specifically ones who had worked on Wreck-It Ralph, because the facial animation on that Toad saying "Look at us, we're adorable" is giving me some serious Vanellope vibes. Illumination has a pretty distinct house style, and I'm not seeing any of it here.
Folks have been saying Mario's facial animation looks a lot like that of Fix-It Felix, Jr.

Blot

Citizen
Chris' voice doesn't bother me that much. Sure, he could emote more, but I'm still hearing emotion in his voice. Reserving judgement until I see the movie. Also like that Peach's VA in English and Japanese sounds tough/not so cutesy.

Most likely not gonna happen, but hoping Bowsette is at least referenced at some point.
People will rag on this one voice until the end of time just because it's not trying to sound like Martinet's terrible Mario voice.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Pratt’s voice isn’t bothering me. If anything, it seems like he’s trying (or being asked) to strike something of a balance between the high pitched Martinet style and the gruff, vaguely Italian, style of the DiC cartoons (which was how a LOT of people in the their 30s/40s remember his voice).
It’s also worth noting that, trailers being trailers, some of the lines may be out of context or a different “cut” of the recording. But everyone else seems to be nailing it. Day is PERFECT as Luigi.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I don't mind his voice. Seems a lot of people are trying very hard to hate it for whatever reason they can come up with.
I maintain that an entire movie of Mr. Martinet's voice would be absolutely grating by the end.

Yes, Day is absolutely on point as Luigi. Just as good as Black's Bowser.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Even more new footage, from a Spanish trailer seen after the Russian one in this video:

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So, I discovered something today: This is actually the third time Super Mario has been adapted into a movie. There was an hour-long anime all the way back in 1986 called Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach! that only released in Japan. It also follows the "Mario is from the real world" premise but in an even more ridiculous way: His first encounter with Peach was while playing a video game (presumably his own???) and she jumped out of the TV, followed by Bowser who fought Mario off dragged her back in. But instead of following them, he actually ends up in the Mushroom Kingdom the next day by falling down a pipe while chasing after a dog. (It's complicated.)

Oh, and that's not even the weirdest part. Mario and Luigi aren't plumbers in that movie... they're grocers.

Where can I get a fansub of this thing???

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
There's a fan sub and an old fan dub of it floating around on Youtube. It's, uh.....it's a thing.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
There's a fan sub and an old fan dub of it floating around on Youtube. It's, uh.....it's a thing.
How do "fan dubs" work, anyway? You'd basically have to replace most of the music and sound effects too since there's no way to separate the voices into their own tracks.

Shadewing

Citizen
How do "fan dubs" work, anyway? You'd basically have to replace most of the music and sound effects too since there's no way to separate the voices into their own tracks.
As someone that attempted this once, yes. You have to redo the entire audio track. But I imagine it's a bit easier nowadays then it was when I tried, due to advancements in digital media and things like studios making soundtracks more readily available.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Based off the two trailers, I think I've a vague idea for how things happen.

Bowser starts making his play for world domination, and Peach tries to summon a mythical hero (based on Bowser's comment of how a human with a mustache and letter cap will get in his way). Mario and Luigi get isekai'd into the mushroom kingdom but split up somehow. Luigi finding E-Gadd and Bowser, and Mario finding Toad. Toad leads Mario to Mushroom Kingdom. Mario is touted as the hero becuase he fits the description. Skeptism leads to a test vs the Kingom's strongest Warrior. Mario gets creamed. Peach decides she needs to teach Mario how to be a hero, having faith in the mythical hero when everyone else is doubting him. blah blah blah Mario gains confidence and proves himself, gathers the Mushroom Kingdom version of the Avengers, goes to fight Bowser.

Though I do admit this might be a better animated series then a movie.

So, in other words, it's The Lego Movie.

Thinking more about it, it's not The Lego Movie. That's the plot to Hook!

Protagonist and family member get sent to another world where the latter is taken captive by a warmongering villain who tries to manipulate the family member for his own evil plan, while the protagonist is brought to the other good guys in order to be the legendary hero they need him to be but which he currently isn't. He is then humbled and humiliated by the good guys' best warrior, but the female lead of the good guys still believes in him and helps him train to become the hero she knows he is. And when he finally becomes the hero, he proves himself to the other good guys, leads a big battle against the main villain, rescues his captured family member, and ultimately defeats the villain.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Thinking of Mario's voice, I do wonder if they're trying to lean into the "everyman" concept...and overcompensating. Peach's voice isn't what I would expect based on her game voice but her role actually looks interesting in the trailer. Weirdly enough, the most interesting Mario moment, to me, was him preparing to fix a sink. It's a moment where he has agency.

And in the Mario vs Sonic arguments, a clear win for Mario is that the movie is including its longrunning female character from the beginning. Granted, the two movies are approaching things differently with Sonic doing a slow roll out of game concepts and characters while Mario decided to have people drink concepts from a fire hose.

EDIT: These are thoughts about the previous trailer but the new trailer is giving me more of that everyman vibe.

Also, music has been the standout for all of these trailers.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I have another "prediction" that's really more of a "thing I hope they do": there's a scene somewhere in the middle of the movie that ends with something going wrong, and it cuts to everyone's worried faces before fading out—you know, like in every cartoon ever—and the background score ends with a dramatic version of the Game Over tune from Super Mario 1.

Top Bottom