The Scooby Doo Thread!

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Just finished the Scooby Doo Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog movie.

If you're a fan of the shows, this is well worth the watch. Has a ton of fun Courage easter eggs to see, and it doesn't try to give a 'logical' explanation as to why Nowhere is as it is. Nowhere is just weird.

All In all I say it was well worth buying.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Watched it. It was a lot of fun! The animation style is a bit weird, but if you can get used to it, the movie is actually really funny. I actually laughed out loud many times. I'm most certainly buying a physical DVD when it's out.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Velma has a crush on a girl who in this movie is the one responsible for making all the "Monster" outfits the people use in the original series. Coco Diablo. She's a fun character, but given how Scooby Movies go. I'm not sure we'll ever see her again.

In other news:

Seems like it wasn't written off with the other animated shows after all. This is one of those shows that I'll give it a fair chance, but man I'm not looking forward to it. I'm sorry but this really seems it's trying to be dark, adult and gritty for no other reason than to stir up controversy. We'll see if it ends up having any charm, but just by looking at this, I'm not excited.

Shadewing

Citizen
I'd be fine if this was just sorta 'Scooby Doo's Harley Quinn TAS' Which is dark, violent, but still fun and amusing. That could work as an a twist on the Scooby Series; just like I think Scooby Apocalypse was a great comic and could be a fun adult Scooby series. No, my issue with this at current is the extremely heavy handed Meta jokes that break the forth wall. Everything in the trailer is a comment about the audiance reaction to the shows and other series like this. Nothing about it feels honest.

Like you, I'll still give it a chance, but I'd have more respect for this if it just played the idea straight rather then having Velma being an obvious mouth piece for current opinions as a joke.

wentwood

Citizen
My thread has been adjusted to account for the new series on HBO Max.

I recently saw all of Scooby-Doo And Guess Who? on DVD and Scooby-Doo - Mystery Incorporated on DVD.

I liked this run of it. It was crazy who Guess Who brought in this year.

MI

I could have done without the Shaggy / Velma thing. Apart from that Mystery Incorporated was solid.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Mystery Incorperated remains my favorite Scooby show ever.

With that said, I've watched the first two episodes of Velma and I enjoyed them. The mature content seems to mock other 'adult' takes on children's characters, I especially thought the shower monologue regarding sex and nudity to be hilarious. (and fairly accurate) The "gore" is so cartoonized that it really isn't scary, more what you'd expect to see in a cartoon with the brain being removed leaving a clean hole in the skull.
It makes fun of a lot of stereotypes and, for me, that humor hit. I also like the different take on the characters. Norville (not Shaggy) is vehemently anti drug. Fred is a half developed pretty boy struggling under the weight of an overbearing father. While Daphne is still the pretty girl, they're opening up her character in a very different way. And Velma is a teen girl struggling with unrequited crushes, overbearing feelings, and a drive to stand out.

Don't listen to the neckbeards screaming into the nether about the "purity" of the Scooby franchise or their misplaced hatred of Mindy Kaling. Judge for yourself. No, the humor isn't going to hit with everyone, but this feels almost Venture Brothers esque, although perhaps a touch more heavy handed. I like that kind of humor.

Shadewing

Citizen
I did judge, and couldn;t get through the first episode. You're literally the first person I've seen say a positive thing about this series, and that includes actual people I talk to, not just reviewers and social media addicts.

wentwood

Citizen
I own all 6 Scoby-Doo movies (Starting with the first live movie) on DVD.

Daphne And Velma is a prequel.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I do love the live action movies. I think they're some of the best Scooby stories we've ever gotten.
Velma looks to be very tongue in cheek and that's a humor I like. I recognize that it won't hit with everyone, but I will say that it is annoying to have seen it trashed before airing simply because it's helmed by Mindy Kaling. And considering Scooby Doo meets Kiss is a thing, any argument about how this is somehow diluting or cheapening the franchise is utter nonsense.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Hey...c'mon. Scooby Doo Meets KISS is GREAT. If only for the trippy Jack Kirby-style visuals by the end.

Sjogre

Citizen
I saw the first two episodes and I'm willing to give it a third, but I'm hoping that it shapes up before long.

The show has been throwing a lot of stuff into the mix, but hasn't really tied any of it together. The mystery has been borderline irrelevant so far, and while they're using some different takes on the characters, I'd be hard pressed to say that they're using them well.

There's potential, but not much more so far.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I enjoyed it. Granted I was never into Scooby Doo, so that may be why. I don't hold the characters to a certain standard or have a lot of nostalgia (beyond the opening credits of the original series, which I would watch as a kid before changing the channel).

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I didn't hate the first ep of Velma the way Im seeing alot of folks online are. (Friends and groups I know are judging it on its own merits and not "waaah race swapping") I'd definitely come back for more...

But Vox Machina is showing up again this week and Pokemon Violet finally got its claws in me and...

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Haven't checked it out. Might wait for all of it to be out before diving in. It's no secret I haven't had any interest in this, but I'll watch it. I'll give it it's chance.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the two eps. I'm ok with it. I liked the first ep but I didn't like the twist (?) in the second ep.

Crazed kid Fred is amazing. Norville is sweet. I can't tell that Daphne is suppose to be Asian. Velma is the least likeable for me but also reminds me of a more emotional Daria.

The hallucinations are actually well done. And I'm sure they'll drop a Scooby reference before the season ends, like it's the name of a drug or something.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
What you can't tell from the sterotypical slanted eyes?
images - 2023-01-20T233518.768.jpeg

If she didn't say she was Asian, I would have assumed it was just the design style of the series.

Top Bottom