The Robotics Thread

Cybersnark

Citizen
So, uh, they're building a transformable mecha in Japan.

Granted, the "transformation" isn't much, but gotta start somewhere.

(I'd recommend watching this one sped up; it's real slow.)

Despite being from a different company, there's a clear heritage from Suidobashi's Kuratas, which fought MegaBot years ago.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
This robot and the Kuratas both remind me a lot of the "Crabman" series or HAL X-10 labors from Patlabor. (Incidentally, if you've never seen Patlabor, its one of the best Robot in Real Life series out there, with a quirky cast and a nice variety of stories, the tv series is my favorite version) Likely the most stable and safest option for a piloted robot until someone really perfects the whole walking robot thing.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Patlabor is a gem. The show is good, and I like the first movie. The rest of the movies are eh. I'm not familiar with the OVAs.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Patlabor is a gem. The show is good, and I like the first movie. The rest of the movies are eh. I'm not familiar with the OVAs.
If I understand correctly, the OVAs are the original series, and the movies are set in that continuity. The TV series retells a lot of the OVA stories with slight differences, then goes beyond those and I just like it better. The follow-up to the tv series (that ties up the Griffon story thread, among other things) is not bad, either.

Top Bottom