The Rings of Power - LotR prequel streaming on Amazon Prime Video

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
We now have the full title for Amazon Studios' upcoming prequel to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, set during the Second Age of Middle-Earth. Headed by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, the first season of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power will premiere on Amazon Prime Video Friday 2 September 2022.

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Will definately give it a go. I'm not optimistic about how good it will be, but I hope to be surprised.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
First look photos:

Galadriel

35JrbS6.jpg

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
i was skeptical about this series since i was worried they'd try and shoehorn tolkein into being a game of thrones knockoff and add grimdark shit to it. pleasantly surprised they're going for the "okay for all ages, but kids might need to hold a blanket over their eyes for the scarier scenes" tone of the Jackson movies.

also pleasantly surprised there's black people in this. they're already thrashing Game of Thrones' ass in terms of tone and diversity and the show isn't even out yet.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The pictures and descriptions look nice. I hear that we will get a trailer during the super bowl, so I am looking forward to seeing that.

Dake

Citizen
Definitely enjoying it so far, and even more so for the gate keeper tears!

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
While I not seen it nor wish to see it, its pretty much a major disaster for Amazon, last I checked the RT score was 37% from normal people and they are so scared of getting honest feedback, that I put an embargo on reviews to their site until Monday while RT been deleting comments, thou the best comment I saw on RT at a glance was: "1234567890," I would say the general consensus is:

Looks nice, but bad acting and bad story writing that unfaithful to Tolkien's works and a total Mary Sue of a lead character, whom been said to also be a karen on top of the Mary Sue, so, I would say, Amazon has wasted a ton of money on a garbage product and they got their GOT but instead of getting the steady build up of surpport of loyal fans, they skipped right pass that and on to name calling and acting like idiots, because people just don't like their show and how they screwed up Tolkien's work!

What I understand of those in charge of this project, they got no serious credits to their name outside of a unmade Star Trek movie by Bad Robot and that makes me question, who the hell in their right mind give the most expensive TV show to complete nobodies with nothing under their belts of note, I sure hell wouldn't, I rather go with someone who is proven to be able deliver a good product!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Right……

I liked it! It’s interesting and has a nice look to it. I’ll watch it over GoT/HotD……those acronyms…

Dake

Citizen
While I not seen it nor wish to see it, its pretty much a major disaster for Amazon, last I checked the RT score was 37% from normal people and they are so scared of getting honest feedback, that I put an embargo on reviews to their site until Monday while RT been deleting comments, thou the best comment I saw on RT at a glance was: "1234567890," I would say the general consensus is:

Looks nice, but bad acting and bad story writing that unfaithful to Tolkien's works and a total Mary Sue of a lead character, whom been said to also be a karen on top of the Mary Sue, so, I would say, Amazon has wasted a ton of money on a garbage product and they got their GOT but instead of getting the steady build up of surpport of loyal fans, they skipped right pass that and on to name calling and acting like idiots, because people just don't like their show and how they screwed up Tolkien's work!

What I understand of those in charge of this project, they got no serious credits to their name outside of a unmade Star Trek movie by Bad Robot and that makes me question, who the hell in their right mind give the most expensive TV show to complete nobodies with nothing under their belts of note, I sure hell wouldn't, I rather go with someone who is proven to be able deliver a good product!
Yeah, b/c reviewers on RT are well-known for not review-bombing for any number of reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual show. /eyeroll

That fact that you haven't watched it but parrot the Mary Sue comment says a lot. There are no more Mary Sues in this than in oh I don't know, Lord of the Rings? But she is a girl so I guess that's gross or something.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Yeah, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas we're not overpowered or Mary Sue's at all...

People had problems with people of color and female characters in this before it was released. That is likely the majority of any negative feedback.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Yeah, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas we're not overpowered or Mary Sue's at all...

People had problems with people of color and female characters in this before it was released. That is likely the majority of any negative feedback.

The story from what I heard, is a right slog, AKA very boring

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It's 2 episodes in, and it's not like any of the LotR movies started out slow.

Anyways boring is a matter of perspective. I've enjoyed the world building it's done so far. And look, I've actually WATCHED the show and formed my own opinion.

Dake

Citizen
Our short-attention-span world has really hurt narratives. I guess people expected the show to begin with some Battle of Helms Deep and never stop, but I appreciate that they're taking their time to establish this new era that we've not seen on screen before.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Haven't seen it yet (still in HotD ep2) but are there Asians in it? With the diversity?

(When I see HotD acronym, I think of the arcade game House of the Dead, haha)

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
In the lead-up to its release I was thinking that this could be a world-class flop for Amazon, but so far the quality has been high and consistent.

Why are there so many people thinking that the man with the beard - or the man on the boat - could be Sauron? Didn't they already show us Sauron's physical form in this age in the show? We know who Annatar is, so I'm just confused why I hear so much speculation online.

Top Bottom