The Orville

Glitch

Citizen
It's crazy how you can empathise with a robot which inflicted a disproportionate retribution on it's owners who reject it's potential to become more. I feel this episode should have been a two parter or had more material covering Timmis journey and Isaac having emotions.
The C plot with the sexist female society and the D plot played for laughs with Lamarr and Teleya could have been a whole different episode.
Thinking back on it, I hope they haven't crammed 13 episodes into 10 this way!

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, the Union seems to know far less about temporal dynamics than the 24th century Federation, so they're playing it arguably way too safe.

Given the earlier comment from Lamar about temporal paradoxes creating new timelines, we might be looking at the start of this show's "mirror" universe.

Orville couldn't have made it back to 2015 without stopping for more Dysonium, so they always would've had to stop in 2025, which means they always would've "cemented" that chain of events before rescuing "their" Gordon. There is no timeline in which they rescued Gordon without stopping in 2025 (and thus observing it, collapsing that particular quantum waveform).

So there are now two timelines: the "correct" one, in which Gordon only spent a few months in 2015, and another in which Gordon lived out a full life and had at least two kids.

I'm wondering if you may be right. They've created a paradox because Gordon's message was sent after six months, so in picking him up when they did, they got him before he sent the very message that allowed them to come back and get him. Also, we still haven't seen the egg salad sandwich.

I wasn't sure how it was going to end myself. I either expected them to allow him to live out his days in the past, therefore closing that loop (with maybe a quick scene of Gordon and his wife putting the phone in the time capsule) OR because they rescued him, coming back to their present and discovering the cellphone was gone because it never existed (because he wasn't there to put it into the time capsule) thereby indicating they'd inadvertently changed the future by rescuing him.

As for Mercer (and Grayson to a lesser degree), I was a bit surprised by his position. His choices of when to strictly adhere to the regs vs stretch them can be a bit haphazard.

Finally, I really dug the "old fashioned" time travel part. It was clever from both an in-universe and story-telling perspective - as watching it do the magic thing for a third time would've been kind of dull at that point.

It's crazy how you can empathise with a robot which inflicted a disproportionate retribution on it's owners who reject it's potential to become more. I feel this episode should have been a two parter or had more material covering Timmis journey and Isaac having emotions.
The C plot with the sexist female society and the D plot played for laughs with Lamarr and Teleya could have been a whole different episode.
Thinking back on it, I hope they haven't crammed 13 episodes into 10 this way!

I get what you're saying but I actually appreciated the pacing of this episode on the whole. There's a tendency to drag things out a bit just because you can in modern streaming and I didn't feel like anything was especially short-changed.

Finally, I really enjoyed their twist on the standard
robot gets his feelings story. And like the rest of this season it was a definitely a more melancholy take.[\Spoiler]

Last edited:

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
God damn, right in the feels.

Ok Kyden, you're off the hook

Glitch

Citizen
In case you hadn't noticed it, the Union Presidents former occupation was commanding an interstellar alliance, before that a ambassadorial and trading hub space station, he went beyond the rim and into cyber space.

Also Dolly Parton. Who can't they get?

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Wow....how about Domino!

One thing I have always said about Star Trek was their space battles sucked. Orville gave us a pretty decent one this episode.

Good redemption arc for Charlie. Hate to see Anne Winters leave the show. Going from hate to saving every Kalon is a big move.

Id like to see a little more humor added to the mix for the next batch of episodes.

Glitch

Citizen
The Moclans are now in a far weaker position then ever if they needed the Krill to protect Moclas.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Saw the season finale last night. Nice, funny, feel-good character-driven episode. It feels like this was what Seth McFarlane wanted to do in case it didn't get renewed for another season. No big cliffhangers or anything, just some nice bits of resolution for some overhanging character plot lines. Lots of bits that demonstrate how funny the show can be when it wants to be.

Good to finally see that sandwich again.

Axaday

Citizen
Saw the season finale last night. Nice, funny, feel-good character-driven episode. It feels like this was what Seth McFarlane wanted to do in case it didn't get renewed for another season. No big cliffhangers or anything, just some nice bits of resolution for some overhanging character plot lines. Lots of bits that demonstrate how funny the show can be when it wants to be.

Good to finally see that sandwich again.
I thought they told us WAY back that this season was it.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It could be, I think that is the plan but considering how good it was there is a lot of hope there that they could do more. It's not impossible.

If anything there are things left open that could be continued.

The continued Krill hostility and the fate of Anaya
The Spider creatures from deep space
Continuing the Moclan Female story though this one could be good as is.
And generally just the continued personal lives of the crew. But again most were set up to be in a decent place if this is the end. I think the continued tension between Ed and Kelley is still out there.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I really thought last week was the finale.

This was a fun episode. I loved Issac’s guests. Funniest part of the entire episode.

I was a little upset that there was not one mention of Charly. As much as they hit on serious topics, nobody was dealing with grief of her being gone. It was like she hadn’t even been there.

Glitch

Citizen
When you think the series has gotten too serious, along comes this episode with Isaac chippendales, Bortus Elvis, that Moclan ritual.

The continued Krill hostility and the fate of Anaya
The Spider creatures from deep space
Continuing the Moclan Female story though this one could be good as is.
And generally just the continued personal lives of the crew. But again most were set up to be in a decent place if this is the end. I think the continued tension between Ed and Kelley is still out there.
The Krill's own enemy, the Chak'tal and the possibility they'll ally with the Union, be nice if the Chak'tal were shown in a different light.
The Moclans situation, they're allied with a force they need to protect their homeworld but the Krill don't regard them as equals, their situation seems dire.
The potential return of Pria or something from the 29th century.
The original Kaylons gaining emotion through K1.
Plus they could do more world building.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Finally got around to watching the final episode. I kinda have this thing where I don't watch last episode cause I don't want the things I like to "end" but regardless.

To cover some of the points other have brought up.

"1.) the moclan/krill alliance has probably collapsed. The driving force behind that was the kaylon and they aren't on the warpath anymore. The Krill are hostile again, but with the kaylon joining the union, they would be stupid to attack a union world.
2.) With the end of the kaylon threat: moclan is probably losing prestige and business on its own. The union doesn't need their weapons, and even if they did organize a new trade agreement: moclan hubris would probably prevent them from exploiting it. They might try somethng stupid, going after the females colony, but... the entire union is against them INCLUDING the kaylon: so... discretion is the better part of valor."

Frankly, for an ending: they kind of wrapped everything important up nicely. Yeah, those spider creatures and the chak'tal would have been nice to know more: but it's a krill problem, and literally the other side of krill space problem. Let them kill each other, alllllll the way oooooovveeerrrr there. There was some subtle hints and foreshadowing but none of that matters if there isn't a season 4.

Realistically, the only things I was outright shocked about was that gordon didn't rag on isaac about owing him a new leg, and that bortas just fucked up the speech so badly. Honestly, I was expecting a twist where he ******* knocked it out.

Axaday

Citizen
We gave u Hulu a while back without finishing Orville, but we are staying on vacation at a place that has Hulu. We just watched Maloy’s time travel episode. They really did it right.
But I was certain both that they would come home just a tad short to undo the Kalon attack and also that a crewman would come aboard and look exactly like Maloy’s wife.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
We gave u Hulu a while back without finishing Orville, but we are staying on vacation at a place that has Hulu. We just watched Maloy’s time travel episode. They really did it right.
But I was certain both that they would come home just a tad short to undo the Kalon attack and also that a crewman would come aboard and look exactly like Maloy’s wife.
If you have Disney + they did put it on there a bit ago, if it wasn't part of the recent purge.

Top Bottom