The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nintendo's been moneyhatting these things starting with the sequel; it wasn't a censorship thing at all.

Now, one can still certainly appreciate the irony of it all, given Nintendo's past, as you said, but...

There's a little more detail about it here.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I never thought Bayo would be in Smash, especially with her disappearing clothing attacks. I won't complain, though. I find the games so over the top that they become hilarious.

spikeriley

Citizen
The reason Bayonetta has been in Smash is because she won a fan poll. Besides, like all the other M-rated characters, she was toned down in order to keep the game at a E10+ rating.

Shadewing

Citizen
Before watching: Oh, joy! Another dime-a-dozen indie game. Whatever. Might as well watch. Nothing better to d.

After Watching: That...actually looks pretty cool. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

This started life as a G4 fighting fan game, til Hasbro CND them because they were starting to make money off of it and because they felt a game where the Mane Six beat the shit outta each other was potentially damaging to a brand about the magic of friendship; then Lauren Faust helped them redesign it to be an original IP.

You can still kinda see the G4 characters in the cast. Unicorn = Twilight, Cow = Applejack, Llama = Pinky, Sheep = Fluttershy, Reindeer = Rarity, Dragon I think is Dash

spikeriley

Citizen
This started life as a G4 fighting fan game, til Hasbro CND them because they were starting to make money off of it and because they felt a game where the Mane Six beat the shit outta each other was potentially damaging to a brand about the magic of friendship; then Lauren Faust helped them redesign it to be an original IP.

You can still kinda see the G4 characters in the cast. Unicorn = Twilight, Cow = Applejack, Llama = Pinky, Sheep = Fluttershy, Reindeer = Rarity, Dragon I think is Dash

Actually, it's said that Paprika, the Pinkie-like character, is an alpaca.

And the cow, Arizona, is actually voiced by Tara Strong (the voice of Twilight Sparkle).

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
New Direct today! A Shocking amount of content, though it seems February is now "Switch kills your wallet" month with the large number of games that seem set to launch that month. There was so much, I'm not sure I can go through it all. Lots of Square remakes and ports on the horizon. Bayonetta 3 is due in October. Octopath Traveller 2 is coming. Next May we get the next Zelda game (Tears of the Kingdom), and until then, we got a new Fire Emblem and a Kirby Wii remake to hold us over.
Somehow they got Goldeneye coming for the Switch Online service with online multiplayer support (as well as Excitebike 64, which I'm surprised they even remembered they made).

I'm not a fan of Atelier Ryza's redesign. I liked it when she was a bit more "thick" like an average woman's body. But anyway, here's the link, show actually starts about 30 minutes in, runs for about 45.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Fire Emblem Engage-A new Fire Emblem game is always welcome. Not sure about making it another crossover, though. Fire Emblem just doesn't quite have the character recognition that make past characters showing up again exciting, at least for me. It'll probably be a solid time, though. Are you going to be able to romance past protagonists too, to go with the "engagement" mechanic?

It Takes Two-I hear nothing but great things about this game. Too bad it's two-player only, though. I'm never going to play it because of that.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 DLC-Selling us waifus one by one is obscene...*gets his credit card ready*

Fitness Boxing Fist of the North Star-This is such a meme waiting to happen. This is kind of hilarious.

Tunic-Oh, this game is coming to Switch. I've heard nothing but good things.

Front Mission Remakes-Probably worth checking out, if you really like Strategy games. Too bad they aren't remaking the action spin-off for the SNES Gun Hazard.

Story of Seasons A Wonderful LIfe-Now you can enjoy the slow, inevitable march of time in video game form as you watch those around you wither and decay, becoming crippled by the passage of years. No thank you.

Octopath Traveller 2-Now we're talking. Most likely a buy for me. I'm loving this 2D-3D renaissance. Just wish there was more color.

Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope-Another buy for me.

A New Rune Factory...series? Vague but intriguing wording, there.

A BUNCH of Mario Parties, Pokemon Stadiums, AND GOLDENEYE! added to the N64 library. Goldeneye must have been a PAIN to re-license.

I'm guessing Pikmin Bloom isn't doing great if they're trying to advertise it in the middle of a Direct? Might be on the verge of getting ended.

Pikmin 4!? All the Arlos will rejoice!

Harvestella is still looking promising.

Bayonetta 3-Another near-instant buy for me.

Raincode has my interest piqued.

Resident Evil Village...Cloud Version...BOO!

Sifu-Well, this is a interesting idea. If you lose you get a year older and your attack decreases..but you get a new technique. So you could end up as a older, weaker but more skilled version of yourself.

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII, Radiant Silvergun, and Trails of Symphonia-All classics. Glad to see them on Switch. Too bad we don't get Tales of Symphonia's sequel on the same collection, though. I know it wasn't ToS Dawn of a New World wasn't great, but it'd still be nice to have it on the same disc.

Disney Speedstorm-ANOTHER Mario Kart copy?!

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe-Kind of a surprise, but a welcome one. It's a good game.

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom-WOOT! Finally a name and a release date! This wins the Direct! And, yes, another instant-buy for me. I'm guessing the seven "jewels" around the villain on the wall carving are going to be the "tears" we have to collect.

Last edited:

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
It’s worth noting that Xbox has confirmed Goldeneye will also come to Xbox GamePass, so I’m sure there was some mutual license thing going between the two.

Something weird is going on... Looks like the Switch version is the only one with multiplayer.

My thoughts on the Direct?
  • Very Tokyo Game Show.
  • Lots of titles I have zero interest in or haven't heard of before.
  • Oh, yet another game with a farming element?
  • Why isn't Square using the 2.5D Octopath style to remake the best pixel FF games?
  • Excited for the N64 releases but why over two years?
  • Where's all the blood in Fist of the North Star boxing?
  • Pikmin?! Oh, Pikmin Bloom... Pikmin?! PIKMIN.
  • A remake of a Wii Kirby game? We've had three Kirby games this year. This would be four.
  • I wish Nintendo would go back to us earning unlocked characters as opposed to just releasing them for free after a month in an update.
  • If I'm buying a Resident Evil game for the second time it'll be in VR.
  • Sifu, what have they done to my buttery-smooth boy?
  • When I managed GameRush we must've had 100 copies of GCN Tales of Symphonia traded in.
  • Endless Dungeon looks like something my son and I will enjoy together.
  • Tears of the Kingdom? Homonym usage? Double meaning?

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Nintendo’s running a big sale. One of the offerings is Starlink (Digital Deluxe) for just $20. Other notables include:
the various Sega Ages offerings at under $5.
Doom Slayers Collection for $20 (includes Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 64 and Doom 2016). Doom 93 alone is $2
Entries in Resident Evil for $10 a pop
Most Lego entries are $20 and under, many skirting under $10
Metro 2033 for just $2.50! Last Light can be had for $5. Both are EXTREMELY well regarded games with astonishing ports to the Switch. A FPS cut to 30 and some lower quality textures are about the extent of the compromises, and the game features full 5.1 audio support. While not on sale, Alien Isolation is available for $20 (with all DLC), and is widely regarded as an amazing port that more than holds it own against even the mighty PS4’s version.
Civ 6 and Cities Skylines for $10 (or less) each
NIS’s old school-style action platformer Prinny series has both entries for $10.
Be sure to check for bundles! There are several bundles available that are a far better value than buying multiple titles separately. Of note is the Bioshock collection, which is $10, while each entry on their own is $8. The Diablo Collection, which is $30 and includes D2 and D3. Diablo 3 is available by itself for $30.

And hundreds more. Probably worth checking out, sale runs to around 9/25.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Also, I need to start digging through the Switch releases more often.
When the hell did Layer Section and Guardian Force get ported!?

Shadewing

Citizen
I recently got Dragon Ball Fighterz Ultimate edition, normally $100+ for $16. Not sure if that sell is still going on. Also if you like Action RPGs Ys 8 and 9 are really good and on sale.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Of the games I didn't know about already:
Fire Emblem... eh, I dunno. I'm used to anime protags, but the MC's crazy hair/eyes are super distracting in this world. Unsure if I'm interested.

Iffy on Theatrhythm. I enjoyed the original versions w/ the stylus. I like rhythm games in general, but it just... takes so long to play. Def need a good story to hook me. Plus there's probably gonna be a ton of paid content like in the originals.

Def gonna buy Raincode! The Danganronpa series was ridiculous, and this looks like it's along the same vein. I need my insane mystery solving fix.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, of the new new stuff, Raincode is the one that most has my interest because its basically a new Danganronpa.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I bounced hard off of A Wonderful Life back in the day, but I've been thinking about giving it another chance lately. A shiny remake is as good an excuse as any!

Top Bottom