The Miniature Wargame/Board Game Thread

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
you guys are AWESOME! just from those videos ive learned a couple things i never wouldve thought of. thanks so much for posting them. ill be sure to post my progress as i go along (assuming i can get good pics of these tiny thing)

Telly

Citizen
am i seeing this right? it looks like they arent using solid colors (like, going straight from the bottle to the mini), but thinning them or something a lot with some kind of flow enhancer or water? looks more like water color painting than what im used to. certainley an interesting way to do it. is this the "standard" way of doing these?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Yes and no. Usually, you are supposed to thin your paints and apply multiple layers. However, this is thinner than usual. Yet, this is a specific technique you can use. I've used it before, though not with these models. One thing about miniature painting is that there's multiple ways to do things so you can work out what's best for you.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Perhaps try this. While Games Workshop/Citadel very overtly wants to sell you their product, many of their tutorials are good. While this site has changed since I last looked at it, the Painting Basics, Paint Types, and Techniques are useful tutorials.

Telly

Citizen
paints.jpg

bring on heroquest! got my paints. got my mini fig fodder to practice with (cept for minsc [on the left] and the knight [on the right]. want to use those in the game). the skeleton will be my first "victim" cause you cant really mess one of those up! got brushes. got a little pallet tray. got primer. even got some flow enhancer (not shown). and ive got some magnifing goggle things to wear cause these huggers are TINY!

bring it on! im ready!!

im really not though...

Last edited:

Telly

Citizen
step one complete!

built a figure holder out of an old aspirin bottle. never wouldve thought of that had you all not helped me by posting videos ❤️ gonna pick up some blue tack tomorrow so i can fasten them to stuff so i can save my shelving stuff (thats what im currently using. a bit more expensive than the blue tack). also have him primed and ready to go. might want to hit him again with the white, as it didnt cover all of him. i did that spray down thing, but i forgot i could move him around while doing it. or ill just do that next time. this is a practice run after all

anyway, here it is

stage1.jpg

Dvandom

Citizen
The Monsterpocalypse Board Game KS is blasting through stretch goals. Compatible with the regular game, but all the minis come assembled and on bases with texture/scenery. Right now, the core box ($119) has 15 monsters and 60 units, a couple dozen buildings, plus all the dice, board stuff, and so forth. While the figure quality might be a little lower than regular minis, $119 these days will get you the two starter boxes for the regular game (four monsters and ten units, plus all the dice and stuff) and maybe one extra building. So, definitely a good deal if you're interested in getting into a kaiju minis game. (Annoyingly to me, I've already painted the original versions of almost everything in the core box, so I'm just getting the "Veteran" pack with all new stuff.)

---Dave

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
I felt my kitbashed Loreseeker (Age of Sigmar - Lumineth Realm-Lords) wasn't "extra" enough, so I gave her a flag.

eXE6Dwg.jpg

Telly

Citizen
skeletons done! not a screaming success, but also not a complete cluster hug. this was from the reaper kit, but i didnt see a specific starting color in the guide so had to guess. and that led to the washes and stuff not working either :cautious: next is the big orc. im hoping ill have more success with him

skeleton1.jpg

skeleton2.jpg

not too bad for my first attempt at this though :)

Telly

Citizen
Just a guess but i think since i didnt use the base color i was supposed to, the washes colors didnt match so they looked weird

Or, and this is the more likely option, i just dont know what im doing yet! I think im gonna get a small eye dropper thing to help when i need a certain amount of drops of water

Sharkshadow

Citizen
just takes practice, one thing that might help in applying the wash is, wet the area your gonna wash, then use a dry brush to wipe away any water you can see. there will still be water the recesses where you want the wash to go. the water will help pull the wash in. its really useful for stuff like ribcages and skulls.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
For bones, I've found it best not to do them straight white - the washes end up looking "dirty".
But a very, very dulled white (almost faintly grey) combined with a brown wash and you get a very nice, natural looking bone color.
Mmgg9SA.jpg

Sharkshadow

Citizen
I use khaki, then a purple wash, then highlight with khaki mixed with white. it makes like a kind of diy ushabti bone form GW.

Telly

Citizen
next up, the orc! hes all primed and ready. unlike the skeleton, i plan to use the orc in heroquest. theres a quest that deals with an orc warlord, and since he is different from the other orcs, im gonna use him as that. all the colors are listed in the paint guide for this guy, so i wont be having to guess this time. still, any orc-specific tips to pass along?

orc.jpg

i know it looks weird, but thats that priming technique with going straight down at the figure

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
As I said at the time of the airing of the promo, the idea that Archer plays Beasts of Chaos is oddly fitting, all things considered.

Top Bottom