The Mandalorian - streaming on Disney+

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Is Favreau voicing him? I know Favreau suited up for an early show, but I don't think he is really playing him.
Favreau was voicing him for the first two seasons, but now the actor in the suit is actually voicing him. He sounds a lot like Favreau, so a lot of folks didn't notice the change over.

Axaday

Citizen
I have only seen Favreau as Happy Hogan and he is always soft-spoken. So he doesn't sound like him to me.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have only seen Favreau as Happy Hogan and he is always soft-spoken. So he doesn't sound like him to me.
Go watch the now classic sports movie The Replacements. Starring Gene Hackman as the coach and Keuna Reeves as the wash out College football QB star that didn't make it in the NFL.

Favreau is in that as a former football player/current SWAT Team member and he is super intense.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Oh, I have a feeling people are going to be pissed about this episode.

I feel like if people remember what the animated Clone Wars episodes were like - and how celebrated they are - it might leave them with a better taste in their mouths.

Shadhausen

Citizen
I thought it was a lot of fun. Had some awesome guest stars and while it felt somewhat like a pointless side quest, it let us see Djarin and Bo Katan play off each other in different situations, while still moving the plot along at the end.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I enjoyed the hex out of this episode. I recognized the king whatever at once but I had to listen and pay attention before I figured out who that other person was (wow!)

Very happy it was wrapped up in one ep too. It could have been a two part ep (the mystery and the other thing) but, no, they were done. Answered a previous thing that niggled at me before too.

Hmm, was the comments of the mercs at the start akin to an admission to the ending of the previous ep?

Oh and could the fight have been better choreographed? I liked it well enough but I don't know Bryce Dallas Howard's action directing style, like could it have been more dynamic or dramatic etc?

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Oh and could the fight have been better choreographed? I liked it well enough but I don't know Bryce Dallas Howard's action directing style, like could it have been more dynamic or dramatic etc?

Lots of wide shots meant that it was probably shot a little more rushed than normal. Seemed a bit tacked on to the end of the episode Bryce usually frames up things amazingly in the show.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Lizzo was awful. Her entire performance felt like someone reading cue cards on SNL.

Really the whole episode was paced weird. I didn't think it was awful, but the whole premise felt strange.

I did think the Droid bar was interesting. Star Wars really needs to decide if Droids are sapient or not though.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
I did think the Droid bar was interesting. Star Wars really needs to decide if Droids are sapient or not though.

Seems like other 'species' in Star Wars it depends on their circumstances and the amount of freedom afforded to them by their programming. Bad Batch's Gonky vs other Gonk Droids. RD-2D vs C1-10P.

Was it just that Helgait was upset that there was a former Imperial running things? So he wanted to ruin the electorate's lives? Or was he trying to turn the electorate against the Royal Family / Elected Rulers by ruining electors lives? If that was the case we never really saw anyone being upset at the royalty or democratic process except for Helgait. I thought he said that the droids allowed the people to spend time directly participating in their democracy. Isn't that what he would want as a former Separatist?

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
Oh, I have a feeling people are going to be pissed about this episode.

I feel like if people remember what the animated Clone Wars episodes were like - and how celebrated they are - it might leave them with a better taste in their mouths.

Lizzo was awful. Her entire performance felt like someone reading cue cards on SNL.

Really the whole episode was paced weird. I didn't think it was awful, but the whole premise felt strange.

It was... a lot. For a show that has been relatively subtle with surprise guest stars, this was like an episode of the Love Boat or something. I still liked it over all, but it just seemed out of place and I'm not really sure the "why" of it. Any one of them sure, but three? And yeah, Lizzo was definitely star struck the entire time. Howard's eps are typically some of the show's strongest, part of me wonders if they gave it to her because they were worried someone else couldn't pull it off.

The sub-plots were great though - the ex-Separatist sabotaging things was a great character idea and well-played by Lloyd. And I totally called that they'd use the transitive property to get BK the Darksaber... (if not here then in a discussion elsewhere... really I did. :D ) Anyway, wherever I mentioned it, I'm ok with that logic. That being said, I suspect there will be quite a bit more strife between the Merc Mandos and The Way Followers. One of the merc's comments about how their honor is based on getting paid, will not sit well at all - and will likely come back to bite our heroes.

Loved the droid bar. I guess it means C3-PO is a bit of a lush though since his "oil bath" at the Lars' homestead would've been like a hot tub of whiskey? But it really points out a larger thing which is the idea that there must be far more conscious AIs in the Star Wars universe than we know. I imagine the Empire must erase and reboot their droids regularly. That's somewhat supported by Bail Organa's offhanded remark to wipe 3PO back in the day too.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sadly, we didn't get a chance to watch this last night. Hopefully we will tonight though!

Cybersnark

Citizen
Interestingly, after years of Star Trek trying to be more like Star Wars, this felt like it could easily have been an episode of (early) Star Trek, with the crew visiting a thinly-veiled allegory world (where effective slave labour has led to a life of leisure and decadence).

You know Kirk would've resolved it by forcibly shutting down every droid on the planet, forcing the natives to fend for themselves.

(Also, unexpected Legends cameo: I spotted Bollux in the droid bar!)

Axaday

Citizen
I guess that the villain acted against decadence and laziness, but I couldn't have had them hammer their point home a little more solidly. He took his punishment pretty well.

Dake

Citizen
Interestingly, after years of Star Trek trying to be more like Star Wars, this felt like it could easily have been an episode of (early) Star Trek, with the crew visiting a thinly-veiled allegory world (where effective slave labour has led to a life of leisure and decadence).

You know Kirk would've resolved it by forcibly shutting down every droid on the planet, forcing the natives to fend for themselves.

(Also, unexpected Legends cameo: I spotted Bollux in the droid bar!)

I guess that the villain acted against decadence and laziness, but I couldn't have had them hammer their point home a little more solidly. He took his punishment pretty well.
It's an odd sort of "message" though. The droids weren't mistreated (Djin) aside, and in fact seemed to appreciate the ability to continue contributing to society. A hallmark of older sci-fi (Trek included) is that we as a species would be able to move forward once the more "basic" necessities were cared for - the whole "post-scarcity" thing.

Sure the royals and their hangers-on were a bit vapid, but we didn't get to see much of the rest of the populace. Meanwhile, Lloyd's security director very much sounded like too many grumpy old, "These punk kids don't want to work anymore, I'll show them" types that have always been present.

Speaking of the droid bar, did anybody else think that it was a redress of the Twi'lek bar set from BoBF?

I wouldn't be surprised but many SW cantinas look similar.

Top Bottom