The Mandalorian - streaming on Disney+

Dvandom

Citizen
Right, in previous seasons they were more reasonable about it, but THIS season, it's "have you ever taken it off?" and that's it.

---Dave

Dake

Citizen
It's a super orthodox religious cult. Their rules are whatever they decide they are and can (or cannot) be adjusted as they see fit. It's probably the most singular case of not needing to "explain" the fiction. It "is" until it "isn't".

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ok, since I was wondering why she didn't tell Din about the thing underwater, I checked some comments and got two possible answers.

- it's a metaphor. She thought they weren't real before. But after that, she's wondering what other beliefs she had that could be wrong. Sooo she might not remove her helmet anymore and will join the group etc

- she asked Din first and since he didn't see it, she didn't want others to question her Witness credibility. Ala 'yeah, I saw Din bathe. It's true. I also saw the tooth fairy.'

MrBlud

Citizen
The vibe I got was “he didn’t see it so I can come back and use that rather than the Darksaber to reunite and lead Mandalore.”

Axaday

Citizen
It's a super orthodox religious cult. Their rules are whatever they decide they are and can (or cannot) be adjusted as they see fit. It's probably the most singular case of not needing to "explain" the fiction. It "is" until it "isn't".
Bo Katan called Children of the Watch a cult in front of her friends in Season 2, because she is jaded and from a totally lapsed version of Mandalorian. But they are coming around to the fact, I think, that this IS the original Mandalorian culture. They look silly to secularists now, but they haven't just gone off the deep end. They just didn't change with the times.

Ok, since I was wondering why she didn't tell Din about the thing underwater, I checked some comments and got two possible answers.

- it's a metaphor. She thought they weren't real before. But after that, she's wondering what other beliefs she had that could be wrong. Sooo she might not remove her helmet anymore and will join the group etc

- she asked Din first and since he didn't see it, she didn't want others to question her Witness credibility. Ala 'yeah, I saw Din bathe. It's true. I also saw the tooth fairy.'

I don't think it would be the latter. If she wanted to talk about it and have Din back her up, they could have had another look or done some scanning.

I really think it is that former. It opened her eyes to the idea that the old myths had something more to them and she is just kinda treasuring it in her heart for now. She likes being the only one to know. She wants to decide how she feels about it.

Axaday

Citizen
Yeah, people are really in their feels about the side story but I thought it was fantastic and made sense for universe building. I trust Favreau and Filoni to bring it all together.
I had read the readouts of the Coruscant stuff and had a lot of wrong impressions. I really think Pershing was totally on the level that he got used to do some bad stuff, but always wanted to do some good stuff and wants to again. He was hesitant to break the rules and only did so when he was encouraged to think it was the right thing to do.

My wife and I are split on Elia. She says she thought she was bad all along. There is a little bit of expression in the last scene that I can't reconcile, but I think Elia really did come to like him and really was uncomfortable about what she was doing and didn't do it for herself. I think Thrown, or whoever the bad guy is this season, made her frame and sideline Pershing.

I liked seeing Pershing's cubicle juxtaposed with the cubicle guy from Andor. They still have to do a lot of the things the Empire did. But his boss is just so aw shucks nice. The New Republic is pretty naive and we've seen where that gets them. They really shouldn't be taking the Star Destroyers apart.

Craving MREs, never having actually been to Coruscant, rich folks at the opera who didn't notice any change from Old to Empire to New because they are insulated from trouble, New Republic rehabilitating Imperial officers and having the officers actually converted, again that TALLEST MOUNTAIN PEAK, seeing Coruscant as kind of a shining beacon of achievement rather than a seedy underworld. All of this stuff was really nice.

MrBlud

Citizen
You don’t calmly savor their favorite Imperial biscuit if you are also having moral qualms about torturing them.

I just don’t know what the endgame is? They presumably still need him for the actual genetics work or else she just could’ve pushed him off the train. Are you’re trying to convince him the New Republic is just as bad as the Empire by torturing him to isolate him from the New Republic. You’d still need a new Handler since he 100% isn’t going to trust her now.

Really interested how they’re going to handle her torturing him too. I mean, they’ll absolutely know right?

Also super weird you’ll decommission Star Destroyers because you don’t want to use them constructively but keep around mind flayers without even disabling their ability to mind flay

Axaday

Citizen
I just don’t know what the endgame is? They presumably still need him for the actual genetics work or else she just could’ve pushed him off the train. Are you’re trying to convince him the New Republic is just as bad as the Empire by torturing him to isolate him from the New Republic. You’d still need a new Handler since he 100% isn’t going to trust her now.

I think they are just taking him off the map. People keep saying Mandalorian is setting up Rise of Skywalker, but Palpatine is already on Exogol in a body and Snoke is surely already getting a reputation. Gideon wanted to clone up some Jedi stuff, but Palpatine already has what he needs. Elia is answering to some post-Imperial warlord who doesn't know Palpatine is okay and doesn't want Pershing to talk.
Really interested how they’re going to handle her torturing him too. I mean, they’ll absolutely know right?

Maybe not. She'll turn it back down and they'll think things went wrong. The New Republic is super naive.

Lobjob

Citizen
Have they been naive in other interpretations besides the sequel trilogy?

Because anyone who lived during and or fought the enpire shouldn't be this...naive.

Axaday

Citizen
Episode 7 was pretty vague about the playing field, but backup data sources say that the New Republic demilitarized to match the Old Republic before the Clone War and ignored the First Order. They may have done some back door funding of The Resistance, but the Resistance was ostensibly another rogue organization opposing the rise of the First Order.

Dake

Citizen
^This.

It's pretty clear Mandalorian is laying the groundwork for the sequels where we learned that the overwhelming majority of the galaxy wanted to just get back to business as normal. Leia and her allies were eventually forced out of politics because they continued to point out the threat of the remnant Empire.

That's one of the things I appreciated about seeing Coruscant in the last episode: the decadence of the ruling class only took a hiatus and they want "peace" that protects their wealth without concern for what's really going on literally and figuratively below the surface. The mountain's peak being made a monument is a literal representation of how little is actually apparent to those "on top".

MrBlud

Citizen
It’s sadly human nature as MLK pointed out

“the moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice”

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the new ep. It was directed by Carl Weathers, whaaaaa?!

Ooooooh what's the name of the other guy? Ahmed Best? Where is he?

Was going to ask if non-humanoids can be Mandalorians.

Also they took too long. This should have been a tragedy.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Saw the new ep. It was directed by Carl Weathers, whaaaaa?!

Ooooooh what's the name of the other guy? Ahmed Best? Where is he?

Was going to ask if non-humanoids can be Mandalorians.

Also they took too long. This should have been a tragedy.

It's not the first episode that Carl Weathers directed. He directed The Siege in 2020, which was another action-heavy episode.

Ahmed Best is playing Jedi Master Kelleran Beq. Seems he's now a canon version of his character from the non-canon Jedi Temple Challenge show. In the show he had a purple lightsaber but was without it here, but it also seemed he was just grabbing lightsabers left and right.

The original Mandalorians weren't human at all, so yes, anyone can be Mandalorian.

Looks like Ragnar Vizsla's armor was able to save him from the animal's stomach acid, similar to how Boba's armor protected him in the Sarlacc.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
So Beq is canon and... alive? I forget season 1 already but how did baby Yoda get left alone again? Stranded?

Mandalorians are going Pern, I'm sure.

Hmm, didn't think of the armor but he'd need to breathe.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
So Beq is canon and... alive? I forget season 1 already but how did baby Yoda get left alone again? Stranded?

As established earlier in this season they can seal there helmet for at least some period of time.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen

We don't know how Grogu ended up where he was. Just now how he got out of the temple. Also glad Anakin didn't save him as some theories worried would be the case.

Really liked Ahmed's scenes and character. Glad he got to play a character like that and with a significant contribution to current Star Wars.

Now my Hot Toys Bo-Katan needs more than hair extensions. :D

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
A rather short one all things considered. I do wonder what was with all the fiddly bits inside the piece she made for Grogu. Can't imagine that it would be a piece of tech given it seems to just be a piece of armor but that certainly looked like tech inside of it.

Still undecided on Bo-Katan here. I'm naturally inclined to assume shes up to something but she seems legit getting a bit into the 'cult'.

I wanna know more about this new cool Jedi who saved Grogu. I'm sure he doesn't survive for long after this but dang. Just in the minutes he was on screen I was like "now this is a character I wanna see more about, not the regretful empire scientist we all kinda forgot existed.

Top Bottom