The Last of Us - Part 1

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Anyone else pick this up? Storytime, 10 years ago, when the original was released I played through 90% of the game until a 'friend' got upset with me and spoiled the ending. I've never talked to him again and I also never picked back up the game. So, when someone asks who this game was made for, I say, me. I have a top of the line TV and sound system, a PS5 and need something to play for the week before my son and I dig into Splatoon 3, and I've really been enjoying it. I forgotten a lot of the game - including what the spoiler he gave was - so I'm pretty fresh there, the game seems much more polished than I remembered. I remember Clickers causing me such an issue in the original game but now facing a group of them is a much more pleasant experience. I wonder what they changed that makes the game feel so much smoother and fun to play, at least for me.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I already have the PS4 Remaster digitally. I just can't see myself spending $70 for another update. But I hope you enjoy it. It's a great story as long as you stay away from the sequel.

By the way, the game ending spoilers are along the lines of oh come on! Did you really just click on this after having it spoiled for you the first time? What's wrong with you? I mean, like, really! Have some self control, buddy!

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, story time. Once upon a time, Last Of Us Remastered was on a deep discount on PSN. I bought it. I loved it. I was obsessed with it. I loved it so much that I preordered the most expensive version of Last of Us II available.

Then I played Last of Us II. I hated it. I was absolutely livid with it. It made me retroactively hate the first game.

That was years ago. I still don't much care for Naughty Dog and I have absolutely zero respect for Neil Druckman. But I still remember a time when I absolutely loved the first Last of Us game.

So I really want to love the first Last of Us game again. I really want to love it because I do still have fond memories of it. Now I could just replay the PS4 version I already have. But emotionally, I want a new start. I want a new save file on a new version. So I got the new Part I.

I hear that already owning the old one, it's not really worth the money for the new one. But in an attempt to regain my love for this game, I just want a brand new, untarnished start.

I'll let you know how it goes. I still have 2 minutes left for it to do the day 1 install.

Caldwin

Citizen
Anyone else pick this up? Storytime, 10 years ago, when the original was released I played through 90% of the game until a 'friend' got upset with me and spoiled the ending. I've never talked to him again and I also never picked back up the game. So, when someone asks who this game was made for, I say, me. I have a top of the line TV and sound system, a PS5 and need something to play for the week before my son and I dig into Splatoon 3, and I've really been enjoying it. I forgotten a lot of the game - including what the spoiler he gave was - so I'm pretty fresh there, the game seems much more polished than I remembered. I remember Clickers causing me such an issue in the original game but now facing a group of them is a much more pleasant experience. I wonder what they changed that makes the game feel so much smoother and fun to play, at least for me.

How far are you? I'm contemplating making a couple comparison videos but don't want to post anything here that could spoil it for yo.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I'd say "Imagine being so full of yourself that you'd remake your game twice in a row" but then I remembered that they already did that with Shadow of the Colossus and Ico and it was probably a smart move, and also that people would be thrilled if they re-remade Wind Waker for the Switch.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'd say "Imagine being so full of yourself that you'd remake your game twice in a row" but then I remembered that they already did that with Shadow of the Colossus and Ico and it was probably a smart move, and also that people would be thrilled if they re-remade Wind Waker for the Switch.
You see, there is a thing about that though. Let's just forget for a moment that I have a seething hatred for Naughty Dog in general and Neil Druckman in particular, the reasoning for which even if you don't agree with, should be obvious. Let's also forget for a second that I just bought the remaster a couple days ago, the reasoning for which may be tissue-paper thin, but still explained above.

If they were to release Wind Waker on Switch, even if it was the same HD remake they released on the Wii U, it would still be a game that hasn't been released on Switch yet. And given the bigger install base the Switch has over the Wii U, we could still say that there would be people who could get it for the Switch who never played it on the Wii U before.

When it comes to Last of Us, you can still get the PS4 Remaster new for less than $20 on Amazon, probably even cheaper at Disc Replay. If you'r a Playstation Plus subscriber, you can get it for free!

You can play PS4 games on PS5. Even if you pay full price on Amazon, the Remaster is a full $50 cheaper than the Remake...and it still looks good. There may be a difference if fidelity if you're looking at it side by side. But is it a $50 difference? I'm playing it right freaking now and I just don't think so.

Now you may get a few idiots like me who just absolutely have to have the new big sexy "best version available." But this was really a stupid impulse thing I did after a crap week and needing something to relieve stress. I doubt too many people are going to be as stupid as I was.

$20 or lessfor a Remaster (free if you're on PS+) that still looks and plays very good versus a $70 Remake. Does it look better? Sure, if you put it side by side. Is it $50 worth of better. No, I'm just a hugging idiot.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That's the other thing. Nintendo's remakes and remasters frequently (always?) launch at sub-$60 prices, or are sold bundled together. I think they understand, on some level, that it's silly to try to sell people games they already own for the same price they already paid for them, prettied-up graphics or no.

Caldwin

Citizen
I just finished the remaster. I don't think I have anything more to say than what I said in my last post. The graphics really are better. Like they really got some nuanced emotions in the features that just didn't come across in the old game that the voice acting had to carry. So the graphics are an improvement. I just don't know if, for the average player, it's $70 worth of improvement when the PS4 remaster is a fraction of the price, or even free If you have PS+.

In my case, I wasn't really just trying to play the game. I was trying to regain the love I used to have for a game that got tarnished for me because of...reasons.

In that way, I got my money's worth. I enjoyed playing this and I did regain some of the love I had for this game. I still have no respect for Naughty Dog and even less for Neil Druckman. But I was able to enjoy this playthrough and regain a lot of lost love for this game.

So for me, while it still doesn't make good financial sense to have spent the $70 for this, it did achieve its purpose.

If anyone wants me to, I can still make some videos comparing the cutscenes between Remaster and Part I...if anyone wants me to. Otherwise I think I'll consider myself done with this for now, maybe a play through of Left Behind and unlock some stuff.

@PiratedTVPro
Have you finished yet? I don't want to talk spoilers if you're still working your way through. I'd like to know what you think so far.

Caldwin

Citizen
I went ahead and made a couple just because I felt like it. Soooo, here ya go.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
IMG_20230119_175002.jpg

Saw the first episode. While I liked the start, it slowed down so much in the middle and end. I think it's cuz it became about humans hurting each other instead of kill the zombies survival action, haha

I thought the first girl was better than Ellie. Kinda wanted another actor to play Joel, like a new unknown actor.

Should there be a new thread or just use this one?

Caldwin

Citizen
This thread was kinda dead anyway. It's LoU related. Might as well go here.

I don't have HBO Max, so I won't be seeing it. I will say that even Jeremy from Geeks and Gamers (who has even less respect for Naughty Dog , Neil Druckman and Pedro Pascal than I do) said some pretty good things about the first episode.

When even your enemies have to admit you did something good, well...I might want to take a peek at sometime if it ever reaches Bluray. But like I said, I don't have HBO Max and I'm not looking for another thing to subscribe to.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Watched the second ep and I enjoyed it more. Walking Dead-y. Still not fond of this Ellie.

I watched a playthru of the whole game years before. I actually don't remember Joel's lady companion. She was in the game?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
She was in the game for like one chapter, then she got bit and I think Joel shot her dead, either at her request or at least with her consent.

Part of me wants to spoiler tag that, because it's likely what's going to happen on the show, but it's literally what happened in the game all of us have either played or watched so I won't.

Caldwin

Citizen
No, some bad people found them and had them cornered in a building. Tess was bit and decided to go out buying Joel and Ellie time to run.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw ep3. Really good ep. Would actually be fun to see Frank deal with Bill ala how their meeting with Joel and Tess went. That was great.

Gotta get the time frame right but 3+3+10 so it's been 16 plus years since the initial infection? Ellie really has never been in a vehicle cuz she was born during the crisis? Wow.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
It's just a short bit in the new episode 4 but the scene with that guy pleading for his life, saying legs don't work, his mom was near, saying his name just to establish a connection... that was a bit intense.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the episode (5th?) and I'm sorta glad I forgot all the details from the game. Don't recall Kathleen or Henry or Sam and didn't know what would happen to them. Loved it when that major thing came out of the end, hehe. Let's have more of those.

Top Bottom