The Jurassic Thread!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, we have an upcoming movie next summer but last night Netflix dropped the latest season of Camp Cretaceous! We are a few episodes into it so far and its still good.

Also, we had this drop on youtube recently.

Anyone else enjoying this franchise?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Burned through the whole Season yesterday afternoon. (My wife is out of town for the weekend.) Remains a cool show.

-ZacWilliam, no Spoilers but I like that this Seasons ending makes it very clear there will be a next Season because last time was a little ambiguous feeling.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Enjoying the cartoon a lot more than the new movies, although I miss how the series used to at least attempt to be scientific. I don't expect 100% accuracy, but it's a shame to go from really pushing the bird connection to horribly dated paleoart memes and goddamn robots.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Burned through the whole Season yesterday afternoon. (My wife is out of town for the weekend.) Remains a cool show.

-ZacWilliam, no Spoilers but I like that this Seasons ending makes it very clear there will be a next Season because last time was a little ambiguous feeling.

Yeah, that ending was epic! I can't wait for the next season. We watched the season twice now.

Kup

Citizen
Yeah, that ending was epic! I can't wait for the next season. We watched the season twice now.
Just finished it tonight. Finale had all of my family screaming, especially when we didn’t know it was the finale. To end on that cliffhanger…

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, out of curiosity, is this where we discuss Mattel shutting down their customers' YouTube and Instagram accounts for showing off Jurassic Park toys they legally acquired from a retailer, or is that somewhere else?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As I learned just last night, between now and the last time I was here... yes.

My bad. Apparently the good news wasn't trumpeted as loudly as the bad.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Watched Jurassic World Dominion.

It was just... Ok. Waaaay too much coincidence going on and some stupid courses of action.

I know the series HAS to include kids in each movie but I didn't care about the clone angle carry on.

It was just... Ok.

Best movies for the year for me so far are still, grudgingly Top Gun Maverick and Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Definitely the worst of the six films. Not really entertaining and seemed like a so-so effort to get the original cast and newer cast together.

Like there was no lead up to really having the old characters involved other than the were from the older films.

My favorite character was the pilot.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I watched it today. I feel like it's pretty middle of the road to me. JP 3 and The Lost World have never been my favorites and the Dinosaurs in the wild and on the loose goes better than just Rexy tromping around on it's own in LW.

My rankings
JP>JW>DOM>LW>FK>JP3.

I really do not like JP 3 with the lost kid and Grant thing. And the parents annoy the heck out of me. I'm actually flip flopping on Lost World and Fallen Kingdom, but I think Malcom's presence is about the saving grace over Fallen Kingdom. I'll admit Dominion didn't have any super wowing moments to me, but I actually liked the mixing of the new and old casts. And the actual story that had the consequences of genetic tampering going awry beyond cloning dinosaurs was interesting.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
While I initially didn't like the idea, I did like the Mission Impossible ish raptors hunting people in the city streets. There were vehicles involved but, yeah, it was kinda exciting.

I would have been fine with more of that but perhaps in... modern New York and not exotic Malta.

From the ending of Fallen Kingdom, I expected more dino human outside environment integration but they ended up in a facility anyway.

Can't wait for someone to make a parody video where the 'dinosaurs and humans must learn to live together' voiceover talks then it shows a dinosaur sipping coffee at a cafe while tapping on a laptop, haha

Axaday

Citizen
Definitely the worst of the six films. Not really entertaining and seemed like a so-so effort to get the original cast and newer cast together.

Like there was no lead up to really having the old characters involved other than the were from the older films.

My favorite character was the pilot.
Seconded. This movie was so wasteful.

I think I am avoiding any real spoilers in the below, but it make run up against spoiler territory.

I'm not going to go through it all, but what just occurred to me this morning is that the opening sequence, which is Zia's only scene, should've been cut from the movie entirely. Start with whatever came after that. Franklin's job doesn't have to be new. His first scene there would introduce just fine that he has taken a new job. And the line about Claire still having a weird thing with Owen to which she replies "It isn't that weird".... The scene suggest that it is weird and Claire is just sensitive about it, but we see right after that that though there is certainly adjacent weirdness, the thing with Owen really ISN'T that weird. It looks like a committed, live-in relationship. Not secretive (ITSELF!), not on again, off again, not nebulous. They are a couple in love who lives together....

I had to go back to see if Dodgson was recast. He was. I recognized the last name immediately because Nedry shouts it over and over, but I honestly wasn't sure for quite a while if he was the same guy or a relative or something. I read Jurassic Park in about 1993, but I didn't remember Dodgson's first name and I see now that it isn't in the movie. When he got out the McGuffan, I was sure it was him, but then I have no idea how that came into his possession. And boy does Wong ever have a strange character arc across the saga.

The entire movie is a sequence of "Got this box checked, see? Look at this! Remember this? Look at this! Another box checked! Remember this?" Is there any reason at all for Malcolm's last line to Dodgson "Dodgson" while pointing at him other than because Nedry did that?

The two teams meeting up was always going to be a shallow pleasure. It was nice to do it anyway, but it wound up being a lot shallower than I imagined. Dadgum was Dr Grant ever boring. Malcolm's role in the movie makes zero sense. It doesn't track with his character in Jurassic Park and it certainly doesn't track with his character in Fallen Kingdom. And beside that, his use in this movie is so corny. I get it that Malcolm is an odd duck, but in this movie he seems never to really be able to keep his eye on the ball. He's just there to be a genius who says dumb things?

Cannot understand Dodgson at all. The big misstep whose investigation becomes the central plot doesn't hold enough water. What Dodgson meant to accomplish is unclear unless he's a moustache twirling cartoon villain. Most of the movie he doesn't seem to be, but then there is one quick scene where he sure appears to be. They don't flesh it out. But I don't think the investigation plot holds water either. I'm pretty sure the CIA could have figured out what was going on. There aren't a lot of people in the world who could be responsible for that. Ellie knows immediately.

A few dozen dinosaurs escaped from the auction in Fallen Kingdom and probably no breeding pairs. Perhaps they have that last bit covered. But the opening montage (which is WAY WAY WAY too on the nose to pose as an evening news show story) suggests that dinosaurs are all over the world now because of that escape and it just doesn't make sense. AGAIN, they may have it covered. There is grist for inference about another explanation, but it really never gets treated. A lot of movies they can leave it vague whether it has been 10 or more years, but a child actor pins it. I has to have been pretty close to the 4 years apart that the movie release is. Maisie still isn't a grownup. How long does it take a dinosaur to hatch and get full grown?

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
Original Dodgson actor was sex offender or something. So recast.
I certainly hadn't heard that. But he was also a boring stiff minor role in Jurassic Park. The actor hasn't done a lot of work. A lot of his roles don't have names. His 3 minutes, almost no lines role in Jurassic Park is among his top billing jobs . He might not be capable of carrying the role Dodgson has in this movie.

Edit - Yep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Thor He was to be released a few months ago (probably got released before that).

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I enjoyed the film. But I also did not go into this expecting it to be a top tier Oscar performance movie. It’s a fun summer flick.

I actually liked that the little girl was more than just some rich old man’s attempt to hold onto what he lost.

Henry should be brought to trial for his actions. Cool. You stopped the locusts that you created. All of the lives lost from all 6 movies could be attributed to him. He shouldn’t get to just live his life. I know it was a redeeming story for him, but I don’t like it.

several goofy things like Malcom spearing the apex Dino. As somebody pointed out several things just seemed to happen at the right time. The shaving cream can was a cool tie in.

Top Bottom