The Good News

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
It occurred to me that we need a thread for some good news. There's a ton of bad news in the world, let's get some good news going.
I'll start.

For those who don't know, I've been a corrections officer for almost 7 years now. The last few have been an almost constant battle with my administration for a variety of reasons.
Well, it took a hell of a lot of work, but I have a new job starting next month! I'm moving from corrections to the parole office and will be a parole officer!

They've been quite hard up for parole officers for some time. While I don't meet the basic educational qualifications, my experience and the education I do have (graduated in December with 2 associates degrees) are comparable enough to get me the pass.
This is the second time I'd interviewed with them. The first time I was passed over due to all the negative stuff my current administration has put in my personnel file. (a quick note here, I go to the labor board next month to try and force them to remove it) but after two of the people they hired quit before starting, I got the chance.
I am very excited. For the first time in 7 years I'll have a regular, Monday through Friday schedule. Normal business hours, weekends and holidays. I actually will get time with my kids.

So what is going on in your world that's good? What's making you happy today?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
SHIT! Stash the weed!

Ha! congrats man, good luck. I hope you find a better quality of life with this.

As for me: My tigatron should be arriving today, and my brother actually called to talk about transformers (of all things. He like beast wars back when, but it never caught with him like it did with me.) and told me stuff I didn't actually know was happening.

Thefakelink

Citizen
Congrats on the new job. I started a new job last year and it was a night-and-day difference. The positive effect on my mental health cannot be overstated. I hope you have the same experience.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
add another bit onto the accomplished pile. Taxes done.
Since the wife and I are newly married, this took some doing. We wanted the most so I ran our taxes with me individually, me claiming dependents, filing jointly with me as head. And then with her individually, her claiming dependents, and filing jointly with her as head.

Let's hear it for mind numbing data entry! But, it's done for the year. Hooray!

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
So we've gone from intense cold and a couple massive snow storms to 80 degrees here in Kansas. It is lovely this week!

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Same in Illinois. We had an ice storm a week ago today and now its70 degrees.

electricidad

Citizen
Submitted my edTPA project yesterday. This was the last thing hanging fire for my master's degree. I already have a job teaching high school lined up, starting in August.

I was able to return to my office job after student teaching the first three months of 2022, so that was nice.

And I turn 45 in a week.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I bought a brand new, nicely featured, rather expensive desk chair.

Understand, up until now: I've made due with either second hand, or new but literally "the cheapest you can get and I bought it on sale, just throw a pillow on it" stuff. At 230 canadian fun bucks it's about three times more expensive than anything else I've ever owned, and thankfully there was a sale on.

Neck pillow, lumbar pillow, and fully adjustable back. Ain't gonna lie: when the back is straight, I kinda feel like a super villain in this thing.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
WONKO.jpg

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I painted this yesterday.
20220526_143759~2.jpg
Since I am currently WFM with no return to office planned anymore, I got tired of looking at the dried mustard wall. But just one color would've been too simple. So naturally I did a gradient of 5 different paint samplers for an accent wall, ranging from dark teal to purple. There are some bare spots if you get close, and maybe it could be a liiiiittle more green, but I'm good for now.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I've been tinkering around with game development off and on for decades. Getting to a bare-bones level of competence then sliding back into not doing anything and forgetting most of what I had learned and never really showing anything I had done publicly(I'm sure my social anxiety issues have a lot to do with that). That has finally changed. Submitted my first game jam entry today. Won't have time to really polish or expand it before the jam ends due to work related junk, unfortunately.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, today (9/9) my wife and I are celebrating our 5th Wedding anniversary! This would be for our first (official) wedding, in our home state; over the next 8 days, we had 3 more wedding ceremonies in 3 other states!

(My wife has a lot of friends and family who couldn't travel to the wedding, so we brought the wedding to them! It was a lot of fun, and each ceremony had its own unique flavor!)

Top Bottom