The games you can't play anymore.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
A few years ago, the whole bullet hell genre was fun for me. Not something I would deliberately or often seek out: but once in a while, it was a nice change of pace.

Since the pandemic hit: my reflex are just... ******* garbage. Can't do it anymore, not from lack of effort though.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, definitely no time/patience anymore for games that are out to kill you and don't have an easy mode. A bit of challenge is fine, but I don't need more stress/frustration.

Teufel

Citizen
I did go back and play Civ 3 and Civ 4 for the first time in a while, maybe ten or fifteen years for Civ 3. They're still playable and I enjoyed them overall, however, stacks of doom and unit spam that were largely eliminated with Civ 5 are not something I missed at all. At its core I think Civ 4 is a better game than later civs and it had a strong mod scene that gives it some major life beyond its age. If only it had that new combat system! Civ 3 on the other hand there are a few things I like I wish the series had kept, but by and large if you have Civ 4 you don't need Civ 3. I can't imagine playing Civ 3 outside of a every decade jives and giggles play-through.

Maybe coming close is Medieval: Total War. It's one of my favorite games and there's a lot I still love about it. For example, the personality traits and dynasty just don't have the same impact in later games. It's such a fun challenge to have have my ruler be an empire-building Charlemagne type whose military victories and infrastructure works make him a beloved living legend, then his son is some depraved half-wit and as soon as he's on the throne half the empire rebels.

But those battle graphics are starting to look like fuzzy indecipherable pixels. Sometimes I wonder do I think the cavalry look like a dude or a horse, or do I just remember that's what that particular pattern of dots were? And the reinforcement mechanic in the older Total War games is just dumb. You lose a unit? A new one will join the fray. Enemy unit loses a unit? A new one will join the fray. The second army comes in piecemeal that way because of the limits on how many units you can control. I always hated that and the advance in technology where entire second or third armies can now show up and be controlled all at once is just so much better and makes going back to the older games that much rougher.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
I used to absolutely love From Software's Armored Core series of giant robot fighting games, particularly the PS2 era games (AC2, Another Age, AC3 and its spinoffs), but a while back I fired up my PS2 to play AC2 and I just couldn't. The game was made way back before twin-stick shooters became the industry standard, and I couldn't relearn the movement control system without defaulting back to trying to use the thumbsticks.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Oh geez, I just realized a game for me is Tetris.

Like there was a time where I enjoyed Tetris.

Then one day I realized. All I'm doing is shuffling shapes. I'm just shuffling around shapes, over, and over, and over, and over... That's it.

Once I realized that, I couldn't do it anymore. It's just super tedious and boring now.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Speaking of games you CAN play again:

As of October 13th, a small update took place to the PC port of Fallout 3. Fully removing the dependency for Games For Windows...meaning it actually runs again.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Well, I mean, you could have made it run before, it just took a little bit of work to get there. The other half of the update was bethesda literally just toggling the "bugs" switch and generally improving stability and performance.

Draguette Strip

Less Than Meets The Eye!
Citizen
Minecraft. I’m so busy now I have no more time to do ANYTHING really interesting beyond a night or two in Survival or just destroying random shit in Creative.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Speaking of games you CAN play again:

As of October 13th, a small update took place to the PC port of Fallout 3. Fully removing the dependency for Games For Windows...meaning it actually runs again.
I love that it took Microsoft, the company that made Games for Windows Live, buying out the game's publisher to finally make that happen. I think it was literally the last game on Steam to not have gotten around to patching it out.

Bethesda's management really is a dumpster fire, and I hope they all get thrown out on their asses.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That said, the forums are currently full of people saying that the patch made it even worse, because of course it did.

Valve should have delisted this piece of shit long ago, and blacklisted Bethesda from publishing new games on their platform until they got their shit together.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
You're kidding, right? Steam is one of the only things keeping beth on PC. Their home built launcher is so far beyond hot garbage that you can't even see the dumpster fire anymore.

Last edited:

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
That said, the forums are currently full of people saying that the patch made it even worse, because of course it did.

That's because the update broke literally EVERY MOD, and it being Fallout 3, a lot of the makers of aforementioned mods aren't even modding any longer.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You're kidding, right? Steam is one of the only things keeping beth on PC. Their home built launcher is so far beyond hot garbage that you can't even see the dumpster fire anymore.
That's the idea. It's not about forcing people to buy the game on a worse storefront, it's about discouraging people from buying it period, so that Bethesda has no choice but to get their shit together if they want to actually sell it.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Games I can't play anymore: Hades. It's a lot of fun and I even made it Hades once (and got whooped. On Easy mode). However, the game's frantic action makes my hands cramp something fierce even after short sessions. I'm old....

Top Bottom