"The Foundation" new Sci Fi TV series on AppleTV+

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, I saw a trailer for this show, and I had to check it out, especially since my new phone got me a year free of the streaming service.

It airs every Friday, and so far only the first two episodes are out, but I am enjoying it. Anyone else here check this out?

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, I started it too. "Foundation" has always been called unfilmable, but this seems like a decent start. It's certainly the only way it even has a chance of being done properly (and unlike GoT, all the books are finished :D).

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Lol. Don't worry, I feel old every day. Think about this, Today's college's graduates grew up after Star Trek Enterprise was cancelled, played the 360/Wii/PS3 as their first console, and grew up with the bayverse films

Anonymous X

Citizen
Only just twigged while watching the third episode that Transformers was influenced by the concept of Trantor, the planet-wide cityscape, and before Star Wars did it (well, on-screen anyway).

Dake

Citizen
Trantor was the inspiration for Coruscant, but I'm not sure the same can be said for Cybertron. Ultimately, Trantor and Coruscant are both planets that have been built up (and down), vs wholly mechanical planets. Though I guess some of the later fiction did give Cybertron that biological core - I didn't think it stated that it actually started as a "normal" rocky planet, which I think would be necessary for it to be a true Ecumenopolis.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Trantor was the inspiration for Coruscant, but I'm not sure the same can be said for Cybertron. Ultimately, Trantor and Coruscant are both planets that have been built up (and down), vs wholly mechanical planets. Though I guess some of the later fiction did give Cybertron that biological core - I didn't think it stated that it actually started as a "normal" rocky planet, which I think would be necessary for it to be a true Ecumenopolis.
G1 Marvel comics did when it gave us the "Primus trapped himself and Unicron" origin.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I watched episode three, and I have no answers for the questions I had from episode 2. I am wondering if they are ever going to stop skipping around time.

Cyoti

Citizen
Yeah, I started it too. "Foundation" has always been called unfilmable, but this seems like a decent start. It's certainly the only way it even has a chance of being done properly (and unlike GoT, all the books are finished :D).

Not quite. Asimov wrote himself into a corner with Foundation and Earth in regards to the threat of non-human intelligence and other anomalies in the Plan. Asimov just never got to writing himself out of the corner because he died. But I think it's pretty clear since the Encyclopedias are still being written in the far future of the Foundation Era that the ideas in Foundation and Earth was not the final word on humanity's destiny and that it wasn't Asimov's intended conclusion to this series (he had spent the 80s framing his Robot stories and Foundation stories as part of a long running saga).

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So it turns out that was the season finale. It was a good season and I am looking forward to the next season.

Top Bottom