The Ever Popular, "What Are You Playing" Thread!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Doing another play through of BotW sounds fun, but the last thing I want to do is lose my current save data where I have absolutely everything except some of the superfluous korok seeds.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Helps that I originally played through it on the WiiU and am now playing on the Switch, so I kinda had to start over anyway.

Caldwin

Citizen
Same here. I have it physically on Wii U and digitally on the Switch. I forget what the breaking point was for me to double dip, but my more complete play through is on the Switch.

I suppose I could do ano play through on the Wii U. But I went through too much crap to get the motorcycle and Armor of the Wild to even risk losing that save data On the Switch.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Tales of Arise (again), Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Crisis Core Final Fantasy Reunion, Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin

And Yakuza 0.

I’m going to have to get back to Links Awakening and Skyward Sword HD on the Switch soon.

Caldwin

Citizen
How are you liking Crisis Core? Did you ever play it on the PSP?

Also, I've been curious about Stranger of Paradise. Is it any good?

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I'm nearing the end of Crisis Core, been putting it off b/c I want a good solid chunk of time I can set aside to play, which I haven't had yet.

GodSentinelOmega

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I never played Crisis Core on the psp, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. Bar a few caveats.

Genesis is the most annoying character ever! His poetry grandstanding and conviction that he is absolute bestest gets Old fast. And while I kinda get it. If I hear ‘nothing shall prevent my return’ one more time. :). Seriously, beating up, or seeing him get beaten up, is so very therapeutic and satisfying. I will admit that I do kinda prefer Zacks previous VA. No offence to the new, who does a damn good job. Same goes for original Sephiroth VA. It is very funny that both Sephiroth VAs, are Superman. As an upgrade of the original, I like this game. It’s so much fun to watch insanely ott ssummon spectacle attacks, like Bahamas Wrath’s mecha Dragon using and shooting through the MOON as a weapon.

As for Stranger of Paradise, i like it a lot. It is very much an action hack’n’slash Soulslike ish game based in the FF1 world, but the weapons, magic, attacks and so on are fun a very fluid. The story is, if you’ve seen any clips ot trailers, super cheesy, super cliched and leans totally into the main guy Jacks Edglord obsession with CHAOS! And yet, even if the story isn’t super deep, it’s still good and works as a kindof tragic prequel to FF1. I definitely say give it a go.

Caldwin

Citizen
As much as I like poetry myself (Edger Allen Poe in particular), characters who just spout it out unprovoked from out of nowhere just always irked me. I'm looking at you, Ashley Williams! At least SE had the decency to have Sephiroth call him out on it.

Crisis Core is probably my favorite game I had on PSP. Dissidia was a close second, but I played Crisis Core along my first play through of VII and the memories of it, particularly while talking online with my friend who'd played it before. And it really struck me how even knowing how it ends does absolutely nothing to help the gut punch.

I'm making my way through Zodiac Age right now with Tears of the Kingdom and Final Fantasy coming up rather soon. But I do have Stranger of Paradise on my Wishlist. Maybe by the time I'm ready for it, I'll be able to find it on sale.

GodSentinelOmega

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Agreed on the poetry character thing. Whenever it comes across as the writers just using poetry to be profound does grate. If they hadn’t made Ashley in ME do as much as they did. Or even make it sound less awkward. However, it does still work better there because it is at least actual poetry.

Genesis is just spouting profubdity to seem epic and majestic and BIG! And yet… it doesn’tt in any way take away from the fact that Crisis Core is a great game, and is a grat example of forlorn hope. I mean, like you said, we know how it has to end, but that doesn’t dilute how poignant it is.

FFVIIR alt universe undoing it is imo (for mow) not a great move. Because if death has no meaning, then where are the stakes.

Stranger of Paradise is worth it. Plus, all those games are massive long adventures. SOP can be picked up and put down because it is ‘enter level. Explore and kill everything’. :)

I’m going to have to pick up Zodiac Age. I made it (I think) about halfway through FFXII originally. Or at leadt to where the Sunstone goes boom. But then I got sidetracked and never went back. Kinda like what happened to my time with FFVIII too.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Finished SRW T a little while ago, immediately dived into X right after, around 50~ hours/30~ missions in. Going backwards in release order means there's bound to be steps backward in mechanics/features, and while they're admittedly pretty minor in the grand scheme of things given the genre, I'm really missing the convenience of a number of things.

...mostly that supporter command in 30 that disabled enemy Support Defenses.

wentwood

Citizen
Playing Pokemon Shuffle on Mobile.

I played Double Dragon IV on Mobile and managed an 8 on that game surprisingly.

Finishing NES Final Fantasy III having beat the first 2 games on Play Station 1.

Mobile also has Final Fantasy IV.

I finished Final Fantasy VI on PS 1 as well.

For Final Fantasy playing XII to finish that game.

I've beaten 5 of the 6 Super Mario Bros Games and was finishing Yoshi's Island with 8 levels left. (I even beat SMB2 J on All Stars)

Once I get an HD for my Play Station 3 I'll play the new Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

I did get to the last level in Tekken 6 which caught me up.

Also beat Tekken 1 - 5. Tekken was set for fewest rounds to finish the games. Now I'm on Tekken 7.

Playing Tomb Raider VII Legend on Play Station 2 and am on Area 4 (Africa).

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Tried a demo for "Process of Elimination" on Switch. Another murder mystery with wacky anime style chars, but the investigation part is kinda like a board game, pretty interesting. It's pretty bloody and grim, but I definitely want to know what's going on. Debating on getting digital or physical. The physical version only comes in a Deluxe version (with artbook and soundtrack), for $10 more than the digital version. I would definitely prefer physical of there was a standard edition...

Caldwin

Citizen
I've pretty much dropped Stranger of Paradise. I never seem to last long with souls type games. With other games I thought it was just the difficulty but this isn't all that difficult so far with its ability to choose difficulty levels. I just wasn't finding it fun.

I still want to get more done on Final Fantasy XII, but I've gotten into a really good rhythm with XIV and it seems to be claiming all my free time.

wentwood

Citizen
I may at some point play the Pocket Monsters games. I was in the middle of Ruby. Up to Diamond and Pearl I might be able to finish on an emulator.

Glitch

Citizen
Dead Space remake for Xbox Series X. I had no genuine desire for this but saw it and decided to fill a few days of my week off with it. Dead Space is one of those series I revisit annually though usually it's Dead Space 2 or 3 though last year was the exception in that it was the first game which I usually avoid for that asteroid section. Basically what you get is a game with some of Dead Space 2 and 3's improvements in the gameplay area, the asteroid and fight against the slug are gone, replaced by zero G fights. Physics have been tweaked and the story altered slightly. it was a decent experience.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Finally finished Crisis Core remaster! The final scene was sad, even knowing it was coming. The game was good overall, though I did have some complaints.
I had a hard time understanding the Angeal/Genesis plot. They're fighting, now they're friends again, no wait, nevermind. All the clones and lookalikes certainly didn't help. The last scenes threw me for a loop.
How was it 4yrs since Zack saw Aerith last? Zack seemed equally confused. Did time skip somehow?
I get why Zack prioritized saving Cloud, but why would he leave Genesis alone, in the open, knowing that Shinra is chasing them? Why did Zack get shot down if Tseng wanted him alive? I had to look up who those two men were that grabbed Genesis at the end.
I may replay it sometime to get all the missions and beat King Behemoth, but I don't feel any pressing need. I wanted more Zack and Aerith. Genesis was an annoying antagonist and I didn't get his motivation. Mostly, I found the last dungeon to be irritating and unessesary. All the different keys and materia... honestly just felt like they were stalling.

The combat system's pretty fun, I liked the Buster sword getting stronger the more you use it. Still too many random encounters. Cissnei's ability is the best.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
SRW X done, breaking from them a little bit to poke Banjo-Kazooie and reboot my ACNH island since it won't let you change your name and I wanted to have some progression again. Some mechanical bits in B-K sure don't hold up after all this time, though, woof.

Caldwin

Citizen
Finally finished Crisis Core remaster! The final scene was sad, even knowing it was coming. The game was good overall, though I did have some complaints.
I had a hard time understanding the Angeal/Genesis plot. They're fighting, now they're friends again, no wait, nevermind. All the clones and lookalikes certainly didn't help. The last scenes threw me for a loop.
How was it 4yrs since Zack saw Aerith last? Zack seemed equally confused. Did time skip somehow?
I get why Zack prioritized saving Cloud, but why would he leave Genesis alone, in the open, knowing that Shinra is chasing them? Why did Zack get shot down if Tseng wanted him alive? I had to look up who those two men were that grabbed Genesis at the end.
I may replay it sometime to get all the missions and beat King Behemoth, but I don't feel any pressing need. I wanted more Zack and Aerith. Genesis was an annoying antagonist and I didn't get his motivation. Mostly, I found the last dungeon to be irritating and unessesary. All the different keys and materia... honestly just felt like they were stalling.

The combat system's pretty fun, I liked the Buster sword getting stronger the more you use it. Still too many random encounters. Cissnei's ability is the best.
Zack and Genesis were never friends. Angeal, Seph and Gen were friends but then Genesis left SOLDIER and that kinda caused a rift in the fellowship. Then Angeal left. Then Seph went bat shit. It took me a couple playthroughs because clones do tend to complicate things. But aside from at the very end where Genesis and Zack seem to come to some kind of understanding (because...reasons... I guess), they were not friends. By then it seemed like Genesis was dying/dead, so there was nothing left to do. Except you know how death is in these games.

Zack and Cloud were in stasis inside the mansion. Not sure how conscious they were. If you play the original, you see they were at least conscious enough that Cloud scratch a message to Zack wanting to get out of there. But the didn't exa have a way to keep track of time. But yeah, they were stuck in those pods for 4 years.

Tseng wanted them alive. He's in charge of the Turks. SOLDIER had different ideas. SOLDIER and the Turks may both be working for Shinra, but they are different entities.

Genesis was dying. Basically his whole thing was try to find a way to live...and spout pseudo poetry.

I found it very confusing my first time through too. Honestly, The VII franchise can be rather confusing altogether. I had to play the original game a few times, Crisis Core 3 times and Advent Children Complete a few times to put everything together.

They're fun games and I love them. They helped to truly lock me into the FF fandom. But you kinda have to be dedicated to learning the lore. Some stuff you really need to have played the original (or be playing it side by side with CC like I did). A lot of stuff is just plain easy to miss. They throw a lot at you.

Hence why it took me a few play throughs of the original and CC each.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I don't have the time or patience to play a game multiple times these days unless I REALLY love it. I have too many games/shows/etc on my backburner.
This is why I use fan wikis to look up the stuff that intrigues me (but I have to playthrough at least once, to avoid spoilers). Or guides/videos if I get stuck somewhere and want to keep the plot moving.

I'm currently debating whether to dig into my backlog before Process of Elimination comes out. That game's probably gonna suck up most of my free time once it comes out.

Top Bottom