The dangers of religious privilege

NovaSaber

Citizen

This pisses me off so much.

Why do states keep giving exemptions to the organization that needs to be cracked down on the hardest?

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Absolutely galling. And demonstrative at how the religious in America have a damning hold over our politics. What can we do to remedy this?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I'm curious if snake handling is legal in all 33 of those states. Because that's the usual case that's brought up when discussing the idea that freedom of religion has limits.

NovaSaber

Citizen
An NBC Bay Area analysis of nearly 700 lawsuits filed against Catholic institutions across Northern California over the past three years suggests the church’s child sexual abuse scandal in the region is significantly worse than the public previously knew.

More than 200 of the clergy and lay employees of the Catholic Church named in the wave of lawsuits have never been publicly accused of being sexually abusive towards children and teenagers until now, NBC Bay Area’s investigation found. Some of the newly accused continue to work as priests.

Other alleged perpetrators named in the civil filings have faced previous accusations but now face new claims, some of them dozens.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Yeah all these things have a root common core.

Ironbite-and it isn't exactly exclusive to Christianity.

NovaSaber

Citizen

Morrison said he’s undeterred by the expected pushback.

“This is not a freedom of religion issue because no one’s being prevented from practicing their religion,’’ Morrison said. “This is an extreme example, but if someone says, ‘My religion says that I have to perform human sacrifice,’ that is not allowed. Freedom of religion is not necessarily absolute, whenever you’re talking about protecting people and the rights of people and especially vulnerable people.”

Sen. Poore had harsh words for those who oppose the bill.

“I feel like anybody who fights this, it’s a little crazy,’’ she said. “We are talking about the protections of children. We’re talking about someone that could have done something to harm another human being. And we’re going to utilize the sacrament of confession to give a protection. That doesn’t sound right.”

The arguments against this are so stupid, just assholes who like having their cult be above the law saying they'll break the law anyway.

Ironbite4

Citizen
They're so caught up in the sanctity of the confessional they never stop to think what that protects.

Ironbite-god I hate Chirstianity.

NovaSaber

Citizen
MDKZmPlh.jpg

There shouldn't be religious exemptions to anything, let alone something as important as laws protecting children.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Frankly, if any religion tried to claim that protecting pedophiles was integral to their faith, I'd take that as a sign that the religion as a whole is straight-up evil and should no longer be protected in any way by the first amendment, up to and including protection from having the religion utterly disbanded.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Just like in the US, ******* with the education system will only hurt them in the long run. Doesn't matter why they do it, it's going to hurt them.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
People need to stop acting surprised that the fundamentalist Christian Right doesn't care about democracy. How many times does the word "democracy" appear in the Bible? I'll give you a hint: it's a number less than 1. And it's not because the concept wasn't around at the time: Athens had democracy in the 6th century BC.

Meanwhile, the word "king" appears 2552 times in the Bible (NIV).
Judaism: God and I have a complicated relationship. I'm in therapy over it.

Christianity: God and I have the most amazing relationship ever! He loves me, and I love him! And I know you've heard some things, but don't believe them! This relationship is perfect.

Islam: God is a controlling authoritarian who tells me what to do every second of every day, and I will insist until my dying days that this is what a healthy relationship looks like.

Top Bottom