The COVID Vaccination Thread

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Conservatives did push masks as a preventative measure during the AIDS crisis. Which, of course, didn't work, because that's not how HIV is transmitted at all. They thought breathing around gay people would give you the gay virus.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wasn't aware of that, which makes dumbass tweets/memes about "We didn't need masks to deal with HIV, so why are you forcing us to fight this virus with them" even dumber.

Ironbite4

Citizen
SPEAKING OF MORONS!

Nikki Minaj relayed a story about how a cousin's friend somehow contracted swollen testicals from the vaccine and that's why you shouldn't get the vaccine. Wanna know how bad it is when someone of Minaj's reach and social media following says something that untrue?

Ironbite-THAT BAD!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is going to become the new go-to excuse for embarrassing medical problems.

"Uh, covid vaccine reaction."

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
SPEAKING OF MORONS!

Nikki Minaj relayed a story about how a cousin's friend somehow contracted swollen testicals from the vaccine and that's why you shouldn't get the vaccine. Wanna know how bad it is when someone of Minaj's reach and social media following says something that untrue?

Ironbite-THAT BAD!
The many responses to this have been hilarious. From Candace Owens endorsing Nicki for fighting the vaccine narrative in a true "not the approval you want" moment, to medical professionals responding to the tweet to rightly calling out that this is an STD most likely brought on by a last minute fling (hence trying to pass this off as a vaccine side effect). This particular response is new to me though, and continues to bring the funny.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
So two things of note:

1.) Quebec has now moved past the grace period for the covid passport. Fines on both individuals and businesses which range from 1 to 6 thousand dollars a pop will begin being issued. Of course, I still can't seem to figure out whom is RESPONSIBLE for issuing those fines, and how they will actually go about it

2.) things have gotten so bad in alberta that the government out there actually went and re-declared the state of emergency, and began reinstating restrictions. Of course, if they hadn't been... and let's be honest here, so ******* stupid in the first place, they wouldn't be watching the province with one of the lowest population densities leading the country in infections and deaths.

I don't like trudeau, I don't like his liberals: but thank god THEY were the ones in charge during the pandemic and not the tories cause the entire god damn country would like alberta if the conservatives were in charge.

LittleAutobot1218~

Everyone needs faith. What we need, alien robots!
Citizen
Even if I had the choice to get the vaccine, I would choose to not for various reasons. I'm not risking my life for a cure that got whipped up in a year and a half because of the desperation and the disobedience of people disrespecting COVID rules. And on top of that, no matter if you get the vaccine, you still have a chance of getting the virus and dying. So basically, the vaccine still needs more work. I appreciate the physicians who made the vaccine to help people, but... A for effort :(

I've just been wearing my mask and sanitizing myself, and I'm fine. Haven't gotten COVID once and I'm thankful for that.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean the only difference between COVID without the shot and with is having a ventilator shoved down your throat and probably dying. No big deal.

...I miss the old roll eyes emoticon.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Even if I had the choice to get the vaccine, I would choose to not for various reasons. I'm not risking my life for a cure that got whipped up in a year and a half because of the desperation and the disobedience of people disrespecting COVID rules. And on top of that, no matter if you get the vaccine, you still have a chance of getting the virus and dying. So basically, the vaccine still needs more work. I appreciate the physicians who made the vaccine to help people, but... A for effort :(

I've just been wearing my mask and sanitizing myself, and I'm fine. Haven't gotten COVID once and I'm thankful for that.

First, there's multiple vaccines. Some using the traditional method, some using the mRNA method. Not trusting mRNA doesn't mean you have to avoid taking -a- vaccine for COVID. (Honestly though, I find mRNA safer given what I've heard of AZ and J&J potential issues.)
Second, mRNA is only new in that it hadn't been used in a mass production situation before. The first proof that it could work was in 1990, and it's been in development since. There was a Zika mRNA vaccine in development by Moderna back in 2017.
Third, Vaccines are a preventative, not a cure. It's the equivalent of taking a Russian Roulette revolver and multiplying the number of barrels by a few orders of magnitude. Someone who was really lucky could play Russian Roulette 1000x with a standard revolver and be fine, but if you're forced to play it, I know I'd rather greatly tilt the odds in my favor(and did).
Fourth, doesn't seem like it needs more work to me:
There's more information as well there - as for credentials she works at the NIH, and was actually one of the people whose work went into the Moderna vaccine. And just to reiterate, -no- vaccine is 100%, Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
Fifth, a reminder that the FDA has fully approved the Pfizer vaccine already, if that means anything to you.
Lastly, good on you for taking precautions but honestly at this point I don't think we're going to be able to wipe it out, due to too many people not vaccination -and- not taking precautions. Part of the reason this virus was so dangerous for everyone is because it was -novel- which meant our immune systems were not prepared for it and literally went nuclear on our bodies to deal with it. I don't know about you but I'd much prefer my immune system be prepared ahead of time by having new AV definitions installed than effectively having my body ransomwared by the actual virus, to use a very loose analogy. If there's medical conditions(such as being immunocompromised or allergies to the lipid solutions it uses), that's understandable, but if it's just doubts about it all data we have has shown that it's worthwhile.

Side note: there's been some early studies showing Moderna is producing twice the antibodies that Pfizer does(only speculation as to why so far). (And no, that information did not come from the account I linked above - there was a Hill article about it recently.)

Finally, some interesting info about what Moderna(at least) is working on:

Top Bottom