The COVID Vaccination Thread

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
There seems to be no shortage of N95 type masks at this point. For people who seriously want to protect themselves from getting Omicron for as long as possible (although personally, I believe we're all going to end up getting this eventually), that would be the way to go.

Even the reusable silicon half-face respirators from companies like 3M have started becoming available for sale again. When COVID got going, supplies were highly limited and most industrial & safety supply companies restricted sales either to existing customers or only verified health-care customers. Rather than having to throw out a mask every day, you can buy one of those for $30-45, another $15 or so for the filter cartridge (N100 or P100 work, and are even better than N95) which are good for quite a while before needing to be swapped for new filters. I picked up a fancy 3M HF-802SD from a local industrial safety products supplier my workplace regularly deals with. As far as half-face respirators go, that's their top of the line right now.

Shattered Trousers

That thing Ratchet needed.
Citizen
So basically, those fashionable masks that an entire cottage industry sprung up around making back in 2020 are and always have been useless, and somehow we're only just now learning this.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming the overseas equivalents of the CDC figured it out a long time ago and it's just more proof that we're a nation of morons.

I don't trust the Australian media to deliver that change in messaging with the kind of tact it requires.

I understand the broad message is still the same, "please, please wear a mask in public, it's actually helping," but the sensationalist media would trip over themselves to stir the pot with "masks useless, experts say," burying the details of which masks are preferred.

We can't even get people to cover their mouth and nose with the masks they do wear, it would be a public relations disaster to even suggest that the masks they've been wearing don't do any good.

~L~

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I really don't agree with the "cloth masks are useless" messaging. They ARE better than nothing. But they're not really what people should be using at this point (especially now that there's no need to save N95s for the medical community).

And, yes, cover both mouth AND nose. I can't stand that this is something folks seem to have trouble understanding.

Shattered Trousers

Citizen
Wearing a mask without covering your nose is about as useful as putting a condom over your balls.

I've wanted to say exactly that to those customers in the store, but I know I'd get canned for doing so.

Just like how I want to ask the ones who wear their mask under their chin if their neck is nice and warm.

Wear it on your foot! Go on, it's just as useful there as it is anywhere but over your face holes!

~L~

Paladin

Citizen

why did i bother with the vaccine? Death from COVID sounds more merciful than the world these fuckers are building.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I feel like we've definitely reached the point where people are actually intentionally spreading bogus "cures" as a joke, but not only are they indistinguishable from the ones that aren't, the people who have been tricked into trying them are also too dumb to ever realize they've been tricked. It's like that one cartoon where Strong Bad tricks Homestar into eating a pine cone, and they both walk away from it thinking they won.

Shattered Trousers

Citizen

why did i bother with the vaccine? Death from COVID sounds more merciful than the world these fuckers are building.

"It's got electrolytes! It's got what plants crave!"

~L~

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
All we have at the prison are cloth masks. N95s don't exist there basically and we're straight up banned from wearing anything else. I had a full on respirator mask with big ol N95 industrial filters. Banned. Can't wear it at work. I have to wear the cloth masks.

So I went to work this past week sick as hell. Got tested on Thursday, was told to 'swab myself' by a disinterested contract part time nursing staffer whose far too busy having an affair with several officers than doing her job. Surprise surprise, I had no idea what I was doing, came back negative. Ended up doing a forced 17 hour shift. Felt even worse the next day, got tested again, this time by a professional. Yup positive.
So I get sent home halfway through the shift, after I'd already done days of work, including a mandatory OT shift I did not want.

Here's the pisser.

They refused to test my wife, one of our nurses. Even though she's been sick right along with me. She finally threw a fit and got tested, even though the DoN (Director of nursing) didn't want her to get an instant test because that puts them seriously short staffed on medical. Well guess ******* what. My wife, having survived lung cancer, is now positive as well.

In addition to KDOC mandating cloth masks, our warden (in her wisdom) banned hand sanitizer because our inmates keep stealing it and drinking it. Instead of actually cracking down and punishing the hooch makers, we just dont' get hand sanitizer. So guess who has to do all the daily temps, rounds, and sick calls with all the positives? That's right, nursing staff! All with inadequate masks (not like the inmates wear em) and with no basic supplies like hand sanitizer.
We can't even bring in non alcoholic sanitizer.

**** this job, **** this place.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Trudeau made a statement claiming that there's enough vaccine in canada for all canadians to get a fourth shot.

Pardon my french, but what the **** did you just say to me? a FOURTH shot? Half the country hasn't even had their third, and oh yeah: the messaging once upon a ******* time was "only two".

When do we realize that part of why this has dragged on so long is because it's being milked by the pharmaceuticals and crack the **** down on them?

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
And the fuckiness continues!

So by state policy, I get 10 days paid admin leave for being covid positive. Used to be 2 weeks, but that's fine.
My wife's company, Centurion, who contracts with the state for medical care for the inmates gives. . . . . . no time off. At all. You can use your PTO (which no one has any of because they switched contracts mid last year, no one has had time to accumulate) but Centurion does not give any paid time for covid, knowing that their staff is the front line in facilities and the will eventually get sick. It's only a matter of time.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My feelings on Rhinox's warden can best be summed up by an excerpt from Run The Jewels that I can't post because I'd have to warn myself. lol, but I can mention it involves waterboarding

Shattered Trousers

Citizen
Rhinox's warden has crossed that line between everyday villainy and cartoonish super-villainy.

I'm so sorry you and your spouse have to work under those kinds of conditions.

~L~

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
She is literally a politician. A degree in social work who was sent to TCF in order to check a box on her resume so she can be tapped for a higher position down the road.
Trouble is, covid hit and she absolutely botched everything. All her short term quick fixes ran out of time and revealed the rotten bones underneath. Morale is gone. We're losing staff faster than we ever have and it's not the new people. We're losing seasoned staff that have been there for a while. The backbone of the facility.
The secretary of corrections has gone so far as to hold interviews with departing staff, asking what the hell is going on. Of course the warden was in the room, glaring the entire time. Regardless, staff put it on her. She's the center of the plague.
But they can't get rid of her yet. We've lost 2 wardens over issues in the past year that haven't been replaced. They can't just get rid of her because we don't have any backup plan anymore.

All our other facilities are just as bad. 2 are on mandatory 12 hour shifts with forced overtime. We're about to hit that, but they've managed to hide our damage from central enough that they don't know how bad it is yet. and they're looking to see if anyone talks.

I served a 5 day suspension already for a facebook post they happened across. I'm appealing it, but they're on definitive seek and destroy for anyone who dares speak up. and, by policy, wardens are gods in their facility. they can do whatever they want.

Look, not for nothing, but here's a tip for you all. Seriously, this would absolutely get me fired if they saw this post.
DO NOT EAT RUSSELL STOVER CHOCOLATE.

We've been shipping our inmates out to 2 of their facilities literally 2 hours away from the prison. Everyone we randomly test comes back hot for meth and coke. We've had 3 pregnancies, one miscarried, one got a state paid abortion, the other is being kept well under wraps. We've had 2 inmates have to go to KU med because they received such severe burns they required a trauma burn unit. And one just lost a finger to a chocolate vat. Literally, the end of her finger was taken off. Good news, they eventually found it but they couldn't reattach it.

The people who run RS are heavy into state politics and are primary donors of our governor. Coincidence? I'll leave that to you.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Look, not for nothing, but here's a tip for you all. Seriously, this would absolutely get me fired if they saw this post.
DO NOT EAT RUSSELL STOVER CHOCOLATE.

We've had 2 inmates have to go to KU med because they received such severe burns they required a trauma burn unit. And one just lost a finger to a chocolate vat. Literally, the end of her finger was taken off. Good news, they eventually found it but they couldn't reattach it.

😟 Um... how long ago did that happen?

*Is looking at the Russell Stover Chocolates on my desk from Xmas and may or may not have already ate some*

Top Bottom