The COVID Vaccination Thread

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have an aunt who had a severe covid case around this time last year and lost her sense of smell. Tonight I made some food she was finally able to smell.

So the weird long term effects of surviving covid can go away eventually. It took a fricking year, but at least it wasn't permanent.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
There's a surprising number of long haul symptoms. Some folks had to physically retrain themselves to breath.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
All to say that an urgent care nurse told her point blank “oh good, you had all of that covid resistance built up (from the ivermectin).” I can’t *deny* the possibility any more than she can confirm it. Then again, we’re not talking the TSC horse medication version either.

FWIW, my wife got her booster this week. She’s been down for two days with it. I have to wait until February at least now.

The chances of Ivermectin having -any- effect is miniscule.

The more likely option is she is just immune to this particular disease, or would simply be a carrier. Despite, what people often think, a massive viral outbreak will not kill the entire population of the world. Some people are just always immune, doesn't mean they'd be immune to something else.. but their system just may not let one particular disease take hold.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Don't forget, quebec also features the highest taxes and lowest standard of living in the country.
What all do they spend those taxes on, then, if not improving people's standard of living? It's not even like they have a massively-overfunded military machine to dump it all into like the US does.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
What all do they spend those taxes on, then, if not improving people's standard of living? It's not even like they have a massively-overfunded military machine to dump it all into like the US does.

Bailing out uncompetitive French corporations like Bombardier isn't cheap. Especially when they so often take the bailout money and line management's pockets instead of using it to strengthen their company.

Wish we'd kept Avro Canada around instead of those damnable parasites.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Huzzah! Covid isn't changing anything I was planning to do for the holidays, two years running!

c05b.png

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I want to like that post... but...

You know what would improve the world? Instead of "like" and "dislike" buttons, how about "empathy" and "apathy" buttons?

Nevermore

Citizen
So a Belgian kickboxer named Frederic Sinistra became a devoted Covid denier, then inevitably got infected and became ill. His coach had to pressure him into even going to the hospital, because Sinistra's conviction was so strong that he actually denied even being sick. After spending some time in the ICU, he dismissed himself from hospital because apparently you can overcome a shortage of breath with enough willpower?

And then he died. At age 40 (or 41 according to some sources). And his wife assures everyone that he did the right thing and didn't die of Covid. Because of course not.

I said it before and I will say it again: Some people's beliefs are stronger than their own sense of self-preservation, and it's frightening.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
That's not a belief. It STOPPED being a belief when he refused to understand he was sick. That is straight up crazy, and apparently it IS transmissible becaise his wife caught it too.

Paladin

Citizen

God forbid the CEOs have one less mansion. so what if they kill off the workforce?!

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:

The comic book "The Watchmen" was based upon a libertarian idea: that people will spontaneously act for the common good when presented with a sufficiently grave common threat, because it is in everyone's self-interest. They call this idea "enlightened self-interest", and they believe it is enlightened by the human capacity for rational, long-term, far-sighted thinking.

Of course, the events of the last two years have shown us that this is untrue, and it untrue for the most prosaic reason imaginable: people are dumb. When presented with a choice between personal convenience and the common good, a substantial fraction of the population will choose personal convenience, every single time.

Worse yet, not only will they ignore the common good to do so, but they will in fact rationalize this behaviour by dismissing the common threat.

The pandemic didn't just prove the author of "The Watchmen" wrong: it proved a central tenet of libertarianism to be wrong as well. People cannot be trusted to act upon "enlightened self-interest". They can only be trusted to act upon unenlightened, unintelligent, thoughtless, short-term, short-sighted self-interest. And yes, that includes businessmen.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Legault dropped new restrictions tonight. As of TOMORROW!

-Restaurants dining rooms are closed.
-Churches are closed.
-Schools will be on remote learning from return to january 17th.
-Most businesses will be closed on sundays till the end of january.
-Mandatory curfew between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am.

New years is canceled, but it mostly was already seeing as the last round of restrictions had bar capacity at 50% percent, with no dancing or karaoke anyway.

So... yeah. Happy ******* new year.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
At least Canada is doing SOMETHING. I'm expecting a shit winter going into a shit spring of COVID infections and probably reinfections. I don't expect anyone of authority down here to really give a crap about this never-ending pandemic. And in the extremely rare event they do....it won't be enforced worth a crap. The ICU has been full since Thanksgiving. I don't expect that to change for months. Just months of watching COVID patient circle the drain until they die.

Yeah, I'm a bit bitter at the moment, especially going out about town and seeing almost NOBODY actually protecting themselves.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Stores have been putting up the "masks required" signs again. Plenty of people are ignoring it and nobody can or will enforce it.

We're all gonna die.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
At least Canada is doing SOMETHING. I'm expecting a shit winter going into a shit spring of COVID infections and probably reinfections. I don't expect anyone of authority down here to really give a crap about this never-ending pandemic. And in the extremely rare event they do....it won't be enforced worth a crap. The ICU has been full since Thanksgiving. I don't expect that to change for months. Just months of watching COVID patient circle the drain until they die.

Yeah, I'm a bit bitter at the moment, especially going out about town and seeing almost NOBODY actually protecting themselves.
Canada is NOT doing something. The individual provinces are doing things: some to greater extents than others. The prairies are little better than the US right now, and there's probably going to be protests galore due to the cancellation of news years celebrations. Hell: you can't even legally go to your mates place for drinks and snacks since even private gatherings are verboten right now, and even if you COULD: there's still the curfew.

The flip side to that is: I honestly doubt it'll be upheld, except by a few cops and then purely out of spite.

Top Bottom