The COVID Vaccination Thread

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Yeah, it turns out that once it actually effects them, they change their tune. Or die. One or the other.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
So the quebec government once again pushed back the vaccine requirement date for the health care system. Yup, the ever dwindling number of doctors, nurses and attendents have the province by the short and curlies for the stupidest ******* reason. So instead of taking the steps they need to ensure the pandemic is as short as possible: the bare minimum of them are dragging all this stupid shit out even more.

TrnsfrmGod

Citizen
Another anti-vaxxer who barely survived a severe case of Covid now becomes pro-vax and urges people to get vaccinated:

EDIT: Just realized this video is from July. My bad.

Don't worry about the date: because the survivors literally all do this anyway.

Yeah, it turns out that once it actually effects them, they change their tune. Or die. One or the other.

You forgot Option #3: Declare the election a fraud and try to convince everyone that you should still be president

Nevermore

Citizen
I've seen a report from a German Covid ICU where almost all the patients were unvaccinated (the only exception was a vaccinated woman who had been in a car crash and tested positive for Covid, but didn't show any symptoms), and there were some stubborn idiots who insisted they'd done everything right and were still glad they didn't get the vaccine.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
My family's been doing just about everything we could for the past year and a half to stay safe. We've barely set foot in stores and haven't eaten in a restaurant since last March. We always mask up everywhere. My wife's drilled it into the kids to the point they would throw a fit if other family members tried to get them to take their masks off for pictures at outdoor get-togethers this past summer. She's even hounded her staunch Republican parents about it, making sure they are both fully vaccinated with boosters. My wife and I both got vaccinated back in April. We've been counting down the days till our 11-year-old would become eligible next weekend, and we've been hoping the approval would come ASAP for our 7-year-old to get it too. We were really looking forward to maybe even having a semi-normal Christmas.

So naturally, our 11-year-old just tested positive last night. o_O :mad:

We're seeing two likely potential sources for her. One is school. The school does have a mask mandate (even though they'd initially announced they would be optional before the school year started), and our kids both use cloth masks with filters. There's definitely a limit to how effective that can be though with that many kids around. We would have preferred to keep them virtual again this year, but we had to choose what to do back in June when things were looking a lot better than they were by this fall, and choosing virtual would have lost their spots enrolled in a school we've otherwise been very happy with.

The other is a family birthday party we went to this past Saturday. First time they've really been around other people outside school since July. All the adults were vaccinated, but there were a few other kids, it was indoors, and most of the people weren't using masks like they did last time we got together.

It's just so incredibly frustrating. I know the odds say she'll likely be just fine, and I certainly hope that's the case. But to put so much effort into avoiding this thing and seemingly being so close to the finish line, and especially with this coming right on the heels of our 19-year-old cat passing away Monday... 😖 :sick:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That is indeed quite frustrating. Hope she weathers it well and that she can get the shot right after.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
It appears we lucked out. My daughter ended up having a pretty mild case. She ran a fever for several days, but never went much higher than about 101. She had an upset stomach off and on for several days, but never developed any other symptoms. We just got her retested today, and she's now negative again. It's been a big relief that she never developed anything more serious. :D

It does still push back our vaccination plans though. We'd planned to get her first shot this past weekend right after her birthday, and had been hoping it would be approved for younger kids by then so our younger daughter could get it too. Now, we'll be trying to get the younger one in as soon as we can, but we were told the older one has to wait a month before getting it. So she won't be getting her second round until right around Christmas now.

Nevermore

Citizen
Got my booster shot two days ago (I had Johnson & Johnson before, so this was my second dose, this time with Biontech/Pfizer).

Currently feeling mild flu-like symptoms, called in sick for today.

Kup

Citizen
Well, I’m a breakthrough positive today per a BinaxNOW test I took this afternoon. My daughter got sick last week, and I started feeling bad Tuesday evening. Pretty mild symptoms so far, I’m on day 6 apparently per the CDC method of counting. Mostly was tired/stuffy Tuesday/Wednesday. Rough cough started yesterday and tonight I have a sore throat. Haven’t had a fever or lost my taste/smell yet.

My daughter was also positive; wife and son negative, so she and I are isolating as best we can in my office. She seems 95% fine tonight.

And funny enough we only found out because we were discussing scheduling our boosters and getting the kids their first shots, and figured we should know for sure since this was so mild, relatively speaking. Couldn’t get into an urgent care so we did the at home test and was surprised to see a positive result.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
You're vaccinated, so chances are you'll have mild symptoms and recover fully.

Do keep in mind: when they say "mild", they mean in comparison to the cases where people are artificially put into comas, then intubated... so... might still be a little bit rough.

Still, we're all pulling for you cousin, chicken soup and sleep are your best friends now.

Nevermore

Citizen
Vaccine effects appear to be slowly subsiding. Fortunately, I didn't get hit hard, it was mostly mildly annoying more than anything. Thursday was heavy limbs and mild nausea, Friday was mostly just a mild fever-ish feeling. At no point did I ever feel so tired I had to take a nap during the day.

Mat-Man

Citizen
I work security at a food processing plant with two other people and had to call in sick for last Sunday. The guard that covered my shift told our boss the next day that he'd been around his granddaughters that weekend and that they had tested positive, so now he's in quarantine for two weeks. The super shitty part? If he knew beforehand and still covered my shift (despite me saying I'd still go in if he couldn't/wouldn't) is a super dick move because neither he nor the guard he was relieving are vaccinated (I'm the only one of the three of us that is vaccinated). We have two officers at our "sister" site that are cross-trained for my site, but one of them is going to be going out for maternity leave soon, their site is already short staffed from one guard leaving for another job, and our company STILL hasn't posted a job listing to hire a full-time replacement.

Kup

Citizen
Following up, health department wouldn’t advise me on what I should do (specifically, boosters and daughter’s first shot) so I went in today to get a doctor administered test.

Still came back positive. And then she said “Hmm. Does this hurt?” (It did) “I’m detecting early onset of Covid pneumonia.”

Oh fun. So I called my wife and we discussed my next steps. They only “diagnosed” me via her stethoscope, so I decided to go to another nearby urgent care for a chest x-ray.

They were extremely aggravated that they gave me that news without a chest x-ray, performed one which came back all clear. So I’m just Covid positive with a slight cough (better tonight) and annoying brain fog when working on client projects.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Do keep in mind: when they say "mild", they mean in comparison to the cases where people are artificially put into comas, then intubated...
..then DIE.

I'm not even being facetious, we're doing our damndest to avoid intubation on COVID patients because our long term mortality rates are SHIT.

Hell, just a couple months ago, we had a 40-something spouse and parent of two (all unvaccinated, obviously) finally die after spending almost two and a half months with us (most of the time on a vent). Had another middle aged individual come back to visit us because they wouldn't keep their oxygen on at home and nearly died getting to a hospital before coming to us. One of our few "miracles", they were basically told that IF they had to be intubated again...they probably wouldn't come off.

Things have calmed down a bit...but I'm fully expecting a surge in a couple weeks due to Thanksgiving and by the time that clears...we'll probably getting the damned surge from Christmas events.

Cyoti

Citizen
Almost certainly. Even in the larger most heavily vaxxed states like MA or CT, it's still more than a million of people who are unvaxxed. Never mind states like NY, NJ, MI, MN or WI. It's going to be like summer in the deep South all over again.

Top Bottom