The Canadian federal election thread!

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Because while an unnecessary election during a global pandemic ******* sucks... at least it's only a month long. Let's run through the suspects, shall we?

-Liberals/Trudeau: the ass responsible for us going into an election two plus years early. Making almost all the same promises he made last time, with no more intention to fulfill them than before. Thankfully, his efforts are being overshadowed by canada's abyssal efforts in the afghanistan evacuation, and of course the bullshittery of calling an election early during a pandemic. Currently in second place to...

-Tories/O'toole: Currently enjoying a lead in the polls, he's having a hard time staying on message due the conflicting nature of the shit he's spouting and the shit in his campaign platform. They are slowly losing their lead due to the outright hypocritical nature of their combined statements (like; making it a platform point to undo the liberal assault rifle ban, while also stating that they would uphold it. And; refusing to support mandatory vaccinations, AND being entirely unclear on their abortion stance, among other things.). Sadly stills looks to be in line to form the next minority government.

-NDP/Sighn; As usual, makes a platform in line with his party's core beliefs. Trying to sell similar stuff as the last time. I'm sure the dude would be a good prime minister: but almost entirely lacks the charisma needed to sell his ability to fill the position. I'm voting NDP this time round simply because: **** the liberals, and **** the tories and their tool o'toole.

-Bloc Quebecois/Blanchette: Uh, Ve are going to solve the housing crisis by seperatin' quebec, and consequently crashing the economy, then the houses, they will be the cheap!

-Green Party/whats her name; Given how most of the weather in the last year has been blatantly driven by catastrophic climate change... I should be taking the green party more seriously. But here we are. Doesn't help that current leader (whats her name...) has been dogged by scandal.

Frankly, the whole thing is a charlie foxtrot, and the pinheads whom are forcing us to participate in this during wave four should be dragged into the street and roundly humiliated.

Anonymous X

Citizen
I’d be leaning NDP too, were I Canadian…

Can’t believe Trudeau called a snap election during a pandemic. Early unscheduled elections over the last eighteen months haven’t gone well for incumbents in any country.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Frankly, there isn't a lot of options to begin with, despite there being obviously plenty of options. The liberals under trudeau... they can't be trusted. They handled the covid pandemic on the federal level fairly well: but they relied entirely too much on the provinces to actual enplace and enforce rules and requirements and offered no standard or oversight to ensure it was actually getting done. Otherwise they just ******* pandered to their base, sold out to their donours, and broke every promise they made.

The tories are now, and always were; overt, blatant liars. You can see it in the difference of their platform and O'tooles speeches. O'toole wants to be the next harper but doesn't have the tyrannical streak or force of will to pull it off. And given their core base is alberta and saskatoon: highly americanized, so too are their tactics and politics. The last few torie governments have basically been socially and politically regressive, usually disastrous towards the lower and middle classes and the environment, but like in the states: great if you're already rich.

And rest... the rest haven't ever really had a chance, or shouldn't even exist on the federal level (I'm looking at YOU blanchette: you seperatist asshole.). Sadly, they probably never will get a chance, despite needing a powerful green mandate that isn't undermined by the corporations, and a MAJOR reinforcement of the social nets and infrastructures of canadian society. There is a VERY REAL climate crisis going on, a VERY REAL housing crisis, a VERY REAL pay crisis, a looming homelessness crisis, ever greater looming environmental crises which are already beginning, and ALLLLLLL the social problems that become ever ******* greater when all the other problems aren't being actively addressed.

But this is what you get when the absolute best you can hope for is a status quo that's at least forty ******* years out of date.

Anonymous X

Citizen
The federal Liberals remind me too much of the US Democrats – yes, historically they introduced many social reforms and the welfare state, but they’re still mostly “centre-left during elections, centre-right while in power”. That and they’re never going to properly take on wealthy vested interests.

The idea of a separatist federal party still does my head in too. Particularly as it keeps on coming back from the dead.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The bloc is blatant pandering to quebec culture, and persistent signaling that no matter what bullshit quebec pulls: canada will always support it because they need the french vote entirely too much to give it up or punish blatantly illegal and unconstitutional behavior. It's the same reason shit like bill 21 is allowed, because it could only happen here.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So... trudeau and sighn are out and about in canada, criss crossing the country and desperately trying to make a good impression. O'toole is mostly camped in his studio and doing shit remotely.

While I commend him for trying to take advantage of modern communication means: I think he's only doing it because he's not vaccinated. Which is probably why he stands against the various vaccine mandates being slowly implemented across the country in our businesses and institutions.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Been watching the highlights of the second french language debate. It never ceases to amaze me how people can be attracted to torie politics and candidates when they literally have NOTHING. No ideas, no platform: just scrap what everyone else wants to do, and tax cuts for the rich. It just shows how badly out of touch they are with the majority of the population.

Violence in the streets? Scrap the assault rifle ban. Both parents needed to fund a family? Scrap the federal level 10$ a day daycare plan. Massive environmental crises in action now and looming over tomorrow? Scrap the carbon tax!

The rest of them (except blanchette.) are at least trying to come up with ideas. O'toole is only capable of shooting them down.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Legault opened his fat poutine hole yesterday, and stated that the liberals and the NDP are dangerous for quebec.

Let's be clear here: they are dangerous for the CAQ, not for quebec as a whole. What with the whole "not standing for racism, xenophobia or bigotry" by having platforms which include... inclusivity. The NDP especially is dangerous because it's been so damn long and so many party leaders since they've even had a sniff of power that they might very well call out quebec on it's unconstitutional bullshit and make it a federal case already. Which I support: it needs to be done.

But I doubt it'll happen. Even the NDP need the french vote, and will usually treat quebec like the special, fragile snowflake that the provincial government perceives itself to be.

Regardless: the quebecois vote is now even more firmly tossed between the bloc and the tories.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
There was... an event during the english leaders debate. In which blanchette was asked why he supported discriminatory legislation like bill 96 (reinforcing the language laws.) and bill 21 (religious symbols law.).

And it's become a whole thing where some people are calling quebec racist, and trudeau and o'toole and claiming quebec is not racist.

Let's get something straight here: The majority of individual quebecers are absolutely NOT racist individuals, or at least are not deliberately trying to be racist. Quebec CULTURE, POLITICS, POLITICIANS and INSTITUTIONS however: They are blatantly and overtly racist. Bill 96 and bill 21 are blatantly and overtly racist. Bill 21 was specifically aimed at ******* school teachers, which are largely both women AND immigrants because "les quebecois" are not interested in education as a whole.

Sadly: this thing has changed the tone in the quebec race; and folks whom were willing to vote differently before will return to voting bloc because now it's a nationalism issue and NOT the shit it should be about: like reconciliation, pay equity, the rich paying their taxes and the environment.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
There was a bit on the morning news program today: truth tracking in the election.

Now, I watched some of it. I was hoping they would be going over the voting records and platforms for the parties to show how often they had actually fulfilled their promises, but NOPE! Turns out there's a fair bit of slander out there about the integrity and security of the election process. And even more: it's american styled conspiracy bullshit like "If you mark your ballot in pencil; they'll just erase it and recast your vote.".

They give you a ******* pencil in the booth. I've worked elections before, and went to advanced voting this time: The entire ******* polling station was chock-a-block with those shitty little two inch long bare wood pencils that have been used in every election on every level I've ever voted in.

I've said it before and I reiterate now: when the US is a progressive force in the world: the world does better. When they are awash with strike and conspiracy: the world suffers for it.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Welp, it's election day in canada. When the proletariat gets its meagre say in the direction of our nation and our representatives finally get some exercise and stop butt polishing the hardest workers in parliament: the chairs.

And frankly: I'm going to be happy when tomorrow comes and all this noise and bullshittery is over with because I'm sick of it. A lot of that was from the constant state of campaigning the US was in for four years there. But some of it was the realization that I'm basically unrepresented and disenfranchised from the democracy. Every vote I have ever cast (outside that one vote in grade school when they tried, and failed, to set up a student government.) I have been voting against people. Not FOR a cause, a party or a person. Against. To keep certain asshats and jagoffs from getting into power... then watching them get it anyway. Watching culture and society rot and stagnant because there is a very real separation between what needs to get done, and what everyone is actually ******* doing.

When I say shit like "I'm ready for a nice machine tyranny", it's because I mean it. Government in north america (and probably other places, I'm not even technically IN canada anymore, how am I supposed to speak to other places?) exists solely to propogate itself, and this whole voting thing is a ******* farce.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
When I went to bed last night: they had called it for a liberal minority with tories as opposition.

So, let's just do a little math shall we? It cost 600+ million dollars, and exposed millions of people during a pandemic AND they managed to land a massive rallying point for quebec nationalism to end up almost exactly where we ******* started 36 days ago. So yeah: massive waste of time and effort all ******* round.

Anonymous X

Citizen
The whole thing would be darkly funny if it wasn’t for all the money wasted and all the people possibly infected along the way. Never seen anything like it. Well, outside of Israeli politics, sort of.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The upshot is: O'toole will probably be replaced by the tories, and this is likely to be the last mandate with trudeau leading the liberals. But largely nothing has changed.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The whole thing would be darkly funny if it wasn’t for all the money wasted and all the people possibly infected along the way. Never seen anything like it. Well, outside of Israeli politics, sort of.
Yeah, and of course it's starting to come out that they actually reduced the number of available polling stations due to cost, but quite frankly: having fewer places with more people passing through them DURING A PANDEMIC is just ******* stupid.

This whole, pointless, moronic, waste of time and money has proven to be one of the most canadian efforts ever: completely and unintentionally stupid and incompetent.

Top Bottom