The Book of Boba Fett

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I found it odd that Boba couldn't rally or hire a single person in Mos Espa to stand up against the Pykes, other than the mods. Or rather, I found it odd that he didn't try. If the Mos Espa citizens are too soft or scared of the local crime bosses, he does have an entire hive of scum and villainy in his territory where he could hire a bunch of allies. I don't get what the obstacle was.
He even said that he had plenty of credits. Imagine if he made some calls and hired the other bounty hunters from TESB. What a fan service moment that would have been.

Axaday

Citizen
Mando was annoyed that the ship he'd been teased was an N-1, and with good reason, but for some reason he was charmed into it because it was a fun ride. It will no doubt help him avoid some of the uncomfortable scrapes he was in with the Razorcrest. But it doesn't make any sense. He isn't going to be able to move a bounty. Does he still intend to be a bounty hunter?

I figured with the dark saber he would have taken over Bo Katan's group and using the Imperial Light Cruiser. Who got that? Did Bo Katan keep it? Did they have to turn it in to the Republic?

It was nice that they made sense of Bo Katan's change of heart concerning how to wield the Dark Saber.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
yeah I don't really get how the bounty hunter thing is going to work now unless that's just done and over. Which it might be given how the story has moved up and next eason it likely focused on him trying to go to magical bullshit springs to get back in good with his cultist family.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Could always switch careers and become an information courier for hire. A small ship with that kind of speed could easily get through blockades and outrun nearly any pursuing ship. Would also work well for an assassin. Get in and get out quick, though it is a little flashy.

Dvandom

Citizen
Note that he was still doing bounty hunting when limited to commercial starship travel. He just needed to limit himself to targets who didn't need to be transported to other worlds. (And I suppose if he did the carbonite trick, he could ship 'em space FedEx.)

The thematic through-line of Book was "I'm tired of this, I need something better, but I don't really have a lot of experience with better." He's grasping for a new life but only has the tools of his old life. Hence, his goals are hazy and his actions often seem to go nowhere, because while he has no idea what he's doing he also knows he doesn't dare act like it.

---Dave

Cybersnark

Citizen
The only way I can make sense of the whole spice thing is by assuming that there are complexities to the spice trade that we're not even aware of. If spice shipments are just changing hands, why don't they offload it from one ship to another in the same space port? If it's highly illegal and thus dangerous to transport, who's actually enforcing the law there?
I figure it's less "illegal" and more "heavily taxed" (realistically, most drugs also have non-drug uses, like medicine or research; that's how people get the idea to use them as drugs in the first place). Tatooine isn't completely lawless; the fact that Mos Espa has a mayor is evidence that there's some kind of legal/administrative structure (with some sort of charter/constitution and a probably-anemic law enforcement arm). During the Empire, the planet probably had an Imperial governor and a tiny garrison (even if they were entirely under Jabba's slimy thumb), and we know the New Republic's been patrolling the sector (via Mr. Kim).

If they're taking inspiration from the old EU, Tatooine is between Hutt Space and a major trade lane (the Corellian Run), a nexus of multiple smaller lanes, and used to be part of Hutt Space at the start of the Clone Wars (Hutt Space has greatly reduced since the formation of the Empire, but Tatooine itself clearly remained a gateway).

(spoilered 'cause maps are big.)
2ZIw8PP.jpg

ZtGLFcc.jpg

For that matter, we have no idea what "running spice" actually entails in this particular context; were the Pykes bringing it in from offworld and distributing it to third-parties? Were they collecting it from third-parties and sending it offworld to be sold elsewhere? Were they brokering deals between unrelated third-parties (for a portion of the take)? Was this entirely a Pyke operation with no third-parties directly involved? Was this spice bound for Hutt space (and being redirected by the Pykes before it could arrive), or was it coming from Hutt space (having been stolen/smuggled out by third-parties).

For that matter, there could be a hidden spice stockpile or processing centre somewhere on the planet (say, at the far end of that train route), and the Pykes are collecting and then parcelling it out (possibly-raw spice gets delivered to the spaceport, transported by train to the hidden fortress until payments are made, then processed spice is transported back out by train to where the buyer can pick it up).

Also, to point out what too many reviewers don't seem to understand; characters in a work of fiction do not have foreknowledge. Just because we-the-audience know that a plan will fail after seeing the episode, the characters in-universe can't, and can only adapt desperately as situations change.

Fett had no way of knowing the Pykes were going to show up with a couple of Clone War-era war droids. They knew the bulk of the Pyke forces hadn't yet arrived through the port, and they believed the treaty with the Klatooinians, Trandoshans, and Aqualish gangs would hold --they were watching for Pykes moving through those territories (who may have arrived elsewhere and been brought into Mos Espa specifically to avoid the obviously-watched starport), but weren't expecting the gangs themselves to get involved. They thought they'd have time to receive a warning and marshal their forces.

Digging in at the (burned, but still structurally sound because the walls are made of concrete) Sanctuary made perfect sense at the time; they were expecting to face infantry, possibly with a few medium-scale assault vehicles. If Team Fett could hold out long enough, the siege would stop being profitable and both sides could discuss terms (which would give Boba an opportunity to target the leader).

Just before the shooting starts, Drash (watching the Aqualish workers' district) confirms that the Pykes haven't arrived, though she sensed something "off" (sidebar: is Drash Force-sensitive? In the old EU that would've been a tip-off).

Did Fennec act on her own accord? Or did Boba order her to do the wetworks?
Yes, that was the agreed-upon sequence of events; once they realized the attack was imminent, Fennec said "we need to take out Command and Control," and Fett confirmed that the Syndicate is based in Mos Eisley (i.e., an entirely different city from where they were), at which point Fennec leaps on her speeder bike and races off.

She stops on the way to rescue the kids, because Melinda May is the same in every universe, but gets back on the road and evidently spends the entire battle racing to Mos Eisley, where she takes out Command & Control. The Pykes have clearly been monitoring the situation (and know how things have turned out), but as far as we can tell, Fennec probably thought the fight was still going on.

I found it odd that Boba couldn't rally or hire a single person in Mos Espa to stand up against the Pykes, other than the mods. Or rather, I found it odd that he didn't try. If the Mos Espa citizens are too soft or scared of the local crime bosses, he does have an entire hive of scum and villainy in his territory where he could hire a bunch of allies. I don't get what the obstacle was.
It was established several episodes ago that "people don't respect (i.e., fear)" Fett --what he's trying to do is a lot like the early Rebellion; people aren't going to support your cause until you've won enough victories to prove that you don't need them. The smart money was with the Syndicate or the local gangs.

Remember that this is a planet that's been under (effective) Hutt control since before the Clone Wars (and Fortuna just kept the pre-established wheels turning). There are generations of people there who've internalized the idea that they have no power to change things, and their only two choices are to keep their heads down or attach themselves to the Winning Team (and live like kings, at least until they get gunned down), and that's the way things will always be. It's a foregone conclusion that Team Fett is going to lose (just like the Rebel Alliance) --until it doesn't, and suddenly change is in the air.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
Don't get me started on how ridiculous that was.

-Boss Pyke brags that he dealt Boba Fett this serious emotional blow
-Bane, who knows how dangerous Boba can be when he takes things personally, asks if Boba is aware of this
-Boss Pyke says no, we blamed it on someone else, and Bane seems satisfied by this
-Then someone mentions that there's no way to get to Boba because the burnt-to-shit, collapsing wreck of a bar he's hiding in is apparently impenetrable
-And Bane's like, "Oh, hey, I have a plan, I'll draw him out by teasing him with the knowledge that I was worried he might have 3 seconds ago"

For a hot second, I thought maybe Bane had some plan to play Boba and the Pykes against each other, like Clint Eastwood in Fistful of Dollars. But no, I was giving the show way too much credit.
See I saw it like this.

-Bane asked if Boba knew.
-Boss Pyke says no, he thinks it's settled.
-Bane tells Boba to his face it was the Pykes.

It made Boba angry and if not for Fennec he would have done something stupid, like start a fight when surrounded from rooftops.

I enjoyed the series it could have been better, I think the reason he wanted to take over Jabba's syndicate was to reduce the crime after what happened to the Tuskens, but there was nothing about the Tuskens in the present time. Having two episodes focusing on Din and Grogu was not unwelcome but I would have liked it to be in The Mandalorian and not take away from Boba, I would have liked more stuff with the Tuskens.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My thoughts on the finale.

So happy Grogu and the Mando are back together! I honestly think that Luke is testing Grogu, Help your friends or stay and become a Jedi is the same test he had in Empire Strikes Back. Maybe he wants to see if Grogu will make the same choice. Seeing Grogu use abilities to calm the Rancor was awesome, but seeing Boba Ride it was epic!
With Boba now in charge fully, I hope that we see another season of the show, especially considering they are keeping sheriff Vance alive.

Seeing the Boba vs Cad bane was great. I love that Boba and him talked like old rivals, and that Boba was the one to take him out, if he is indeed dead. Although I don't understand why Cad Bane stayed and fought at that point. Like why wouldn't he just cut his losses and run? The rancor had destroyed the heavy destroyer droids. There was an entire army of people still fighting, including the Mandalorian, and the Pykes' forces were in full retreat. There wasn't a way for him to win, nor really get paid. His strategy in Clone wars would have had him leave for better odds.

As far as issues with the first season, there are some legitimate issues. The Tuskens being wiped out and not really coming back into play wasn't thought out well. It would have worked better if Cad Bane had been hired to wipe them out. Then it would have lent more weight to the final stand off between them.

As for no Tuskiens showing up to help fight the Pykes, All the ones Boba knew are dead, and the Mandolorian might be able to convince the ones that partnered with Freetown
but he probably would have to have found them first. It would have been cool though if he had them though. Getting revenge for the slaughter of another tribe would have been good reason for them to show up.

Dvandom

Citizen
Cad Bane probably figured that he could kill Boba before bailing, and get paid later. The Pikes weren't ALL on Tatooine, after all, and even if the overall plan fell apart he could give proof of death of Boba to salvage matters professionally.

---Dave

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
yeah I don't really get how the bounty hunter thing is going to work now unless that's just done and over. Which it might be given how the story has moved up and next season it likely focused on him trying to go to magical bullshit springs to get back in good with his cultist family.
He'll get waylaid somehow but I think we're eventually visiting Mandalore next season, one way or the other. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Armourer mentioned a Mythasaur rising from the depths either.

She stops on the way to rescue the kids, because Melinda May is the same in every universe, but gets back on the road and evidently spends the entire battle racing to Mos Eisley, where she takes out Command & Control. The Pykes have clearly been monitoring the situation (and know how things have turned out), but as far as we can tell, Fennec probably thought the fight was still going on.
She stops to rescue the Mods, and then jumps down onto her bike, which is right there, and rides away. Which means she pulled up, and backed into that space, in full view of the Mods while they were being shot at. It makes zero sense and I blame it on Rodriguez.

Axaday

Citizen
Seeing the Boba vs Cad bane was great. I love that Boba and him talked like old rivals, and that Boba was the one to take him out, if he is indeed dead. Although I don't understand why Cad Bane stayed and fought at that point. Like why wouldn't he just cut his losses and run? The rancor had destroyed the heavy destroyer droids. There was an entire army of people still fighting, including the Mandalorian, and the Pykes' forces were in full retreat. There wasn't a way for him to win, nor really get paid. His strategy in Clone wars would have had him leave for better odds.

Cad came to confront Boba Fett because he couldn't figure out why Boba was doing all of this. He wanted to understand it.

As for no Tuskiens showing up to help fight the Pykes, All the ones Boba knew are dead, and the Mandolorian might be able to convince the ones that partnered with Freetown
but he probably would have to have found them first. It would have been cool though if he had them though. Getting revenge for the slaughter of another tribe would have been good reason for them to show up.

I am not sure that one tribe of Tuskens cares that another tribe accepted Boba. Maybe. I'm sure that they would be impressed that he respected their way of life. But I'm also not at all sure that they would stick their necks out to get revenge for other tribes getting slaughtered.

Axaday

Citizen
He'll get waylaid somehow but I think we're eventually visiting Mandalore next season, one way or the other. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Armourer mentioned a Mythasaur rising from the depths either.

I assumed that that prophecy concerned Boba Fett, who wears the Mythasaur on his armor.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Im kinda reviving this for a second so I jumped straight into Book of Fett only ever seeing the very first 2 eps of Mando(I know Ill get to it)
BUT I did get to the ep Return of the Mando in Fett having never seen Mando I first recognized the Dark Saber without ever seeing where it came from
because its right out of my little head cannon fanfic idea that it had to exist and seeing on screen was like realization that somehow other people came to the same conclusions I did when I was a teen reading the novels they just made it official

Also Mando rebuilding an Naboo Starfighter into a hottod and him getting pulled over by X-Wing Fuzz!! OMG pure gold! best thing to come out of SW in a long time
The rest of Fett has been ...ok some good moments...bu this ep I want to own just this ep

Cybersnark

Citizen
The Darksaber first turns up way back in Clone Wars, then again in Rebels, leading directly into its role in The Mandalorian. It has a long history.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
pff i was thinking about and RPing the blade all the way back in the 90s get off my lawn :D

Top Bottom