Biden-Harris / Dems

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Their best defense is Pee Wee Herman's "I know you are, but what am I?" act.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Honestly, I think the optics of Biden's speech were kinda brilliant.

For four years we had a bumbling, temperamental would-be dictator fumbling his way through boastful declarations and ego wanking.

Then in rolls Biden, starts out slow and then suddenly he turns up with every inch the swagger and strength that the MAGA idiots 'Glorious Leader' had been playing at. And he rips their fascist ideology to shreds and calls for democracy.

I may be giving him too much credit, but this feels like a carefully targeted message. It's looking at the MAGA assholes and saying "this is what real authority looks like and you never had a chance"

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So remember anytime today the opposition does/says any of those things you have to scream as loud as you can.

lol

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
...he rips their fascist ideology to shreds...
Can we talk about this term for a minute?

I've been seeing a LOT of this kind of metaphor, especially from places like the young turks and medias touch on youtube. Generally when you "shred" someones argument, TO ME, the implication is that you've changed their mind on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, they are absolutely destroying the "arguments" and talking points coming from the right: but they aren't changing the minds of the people spewing this bullshit. And, understand I mean from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem to be changing anymore minds of the consumers of the bullshit anymore either. I mean, its probably happening but on a small and slow scale.

Unless the spewers of bullshit recant because they were proven wrong: I honestly don't think anything was shredded.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We're gonna find out in November. I'm predicting record turnout, at nearly POTUS cycle levels, and we'll see where that leaves us. Don't discount the possibility of a statistical tie election. These are strange times.

But if Biden can peel even 10% of Republicans off that's a route, and probably what he's praying for.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Can we talk about this term for a minute?

I've been seeing a LOT of this kind of metaphor, especially from places like the young turks and medias touch on youtube. Generally when you "shred" someones argument, TO ME, the implication is that you've changed their mind on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, they are absolutely destroying the "arguments" and talking points coming from the right: but they aren't changing the minds of the people spewing this bullshit. And, understand I mean from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem to be changing anymore minds of the consumers of the bullshit anymore either. I mean, its probably happening but on a small and slow scale.

Unless the spewers of bullshit recant because they were proven wrong: I honestly don't think anything was shredded.
So... What you're saying is that you totally understood what I was saying, don't disagree, but you would have used a slightly different word due to your own esoteric interpretation of its meaning?

... Odd use of your time on this world, but you do you, buddy.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Also, Biden can say whatever he wants but it doesn't mean shit if he's not backing it up with action. Pissing off his enemies is not going to magically make them disappear, or fail to show up at the polls, or really accomplish anything. And as for his own voters, the same people who say he's been too soft on Republicans ultimately still care more about his failure to do much of anything. If this is him saying "no more Mr. Nice Guy", I expect him to follow it with the sort of actions that normally implies, not further inaction.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
Also, Biden can say whatever he wants but it doesn't mean shit if he's not backing it up with action. Pissing off his enemies is not going to magically make them disappear, or fail to show up at the polls, or really accomplish anything. And as for his own voters, the same people who say he's been too soft on Republicans ultimately still care more about his failure to do much of anything. If this is him saying "no more Mr. Nice Guy", I expect him to follow it with the sort of actions that normally implies, not further inaction.

There's valid criticism to be made of Biden's tenure, but it feels a bit odd to call the last month or so of work on student loan debt and an actual climate change bill passing inaction.

The student loan relief could have been more (though the better part of it involves the overall changes to the system including interest frozen at 0% as long as you're making a minimum payment) but it's certainly not inaction.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Gotta say, Biden giving a primetime address devoted to a partisan attack against the other party while flanked by US Marines serving as props for his undisguised midterm campaign speech is creepy. Right down to the very dystopian stage dressing that looks like it came out of V for Vendetta.

In fairness, we live in a Dystopia.
Truthfully, I think the setting was deliberate to get people talking, and then get people digging WHY it looked that way.

Fascism is popular again. Nationalism is popular again. This is a serious, nay critical, moment for the Country and I for one am glad Biden's awoken to the clear and present danger to our institutions it poses.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Set piece aside, I wouldn't say that calling Trump and his ilk what they are rises to the level of partisan attack. Bluntly put, he is the spearhead of the greatest threat to our democracy that we've seen in history. His open corruption, absolute shamelessness, and willingness to do anything to remain in control is anathema to our continuation as a united country.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
At this point your options are being anti-Trump or pro-fascism. There's no middle ground.

Biden's speech wasn't partisan, it was anti-fascist. He even gave Republicans an off road to still BE Republicans and conservatives. Just don't be MAGA, which is an explicitly fascist movement. That's it, it's the only request being made.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
At this point your options are being anti-Trump or pro-fascism. There's no middle ground.

Biden's speech wasn't partisan, it was anti-fascist. He even gave Republicans an off road to still BE Republicans and conservatives. Just don't be MAGA, which is an explicitly fascist movement. That's it, it's the only request being made.
And they won't do it. Because the posibility of absolute power out the other side is entirely too tempting for these psychopathic narcissists. And the few non maga republicans left: they won't stand up against them, they'll let them just do it and not fight back. Because the possibility of being actual new world kings is still too tempting to them.

Right now, even the old school conservatives know that IF trump and his ilk pull this shit off: there's unlimited wealth and power waiting. All they need to do is sit down and shut up.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The only difference between MAGA and non-MAGA Republicans at this point is that the MAGAts are slightly more obvious about it.

MrBlud

Citizen
Ehh, MAGA Republicans are completely fine with the ends justifying the means whereas regular Republicans aren’t.

Liz Cheney has absolute garbage Republican positions and likely doesn’t have a problem with any of Trumps actual policies; yet she doesn’t want the fairly elected Government violently overthrown to enact them.

It’s a small but vitally important difference.

Top Bottom