The Best Thing About HeroQuest is….

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I've put a decent amount of Photos of the mini's on the Discords Gaming channel just now. Some furniture comparisons between the old cardboard and new full plastic ones. a Sample of the different heroes, monsters and more.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
im LOVING the dread warriors! these guys are so wicked and evil looking. can we can an expansion with just these guys??

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Just compared the old board to the new one. The new one is a smidge larger. Plus the Zargon area being on the short side of the board looks weird instead of the longer side.

Telly

Citizen
because im that kind of person, i counted everything we got with the mythic tier version (minus the dice...). came up with 61 quests, 95 figures and 56 pieces of furniture (including the rats and skulls). break the figs and furniture to $1 a piece (im sure they would normally cost a lot more than that), then everything else was free (this is the $149 base cost of course) lol this was $200 (with s&h) very well spent!

also, found this thing:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I finally broke into my set last night. Everything looks great, with just one exception. Looks like the barbarians are molded in two pieces. The sword and arms are glued to the rest of the body. On my female barbarian though, it looks like the left arm didn't get fully inserted into the shoulder properly.

20211112_000639.jpg

I was just wondering if this is a common issue, or if I just got unlucky. Anyone else have anything like this going on?

Either way, think I'm going to send a note to Pulse to ask about possibly getting a replacement. It's not like this is all that awful or anything, but for a Haslab-exclusive stretch goal that may never be available any other way, it's disappointing to see her arm looking so disjointed. And with it glued in place, I'm not sure if I can separate and reposition it without causing more severe damage.

Telly

Citizen
mine is fine. though one good and one bad doesnt really say anything yet. good luck getting a replacement. this is hasbro after all. plus i doubt they made more than what was needed

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So they put up a nice video ad for the game on Youtube earlier. I presume this is a precursor to a retail announcement for the game.

But even more interesting their Twitter teased new content reveals for Monday!
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WHAT IN THE WANDERING MONSTER IS THIS????<br><br>eh, i&#39;ll deal with it monday <a href="https://t.co/XrGzDDfEw7">pic.twitter.com/XrGzDDfEw7</a></p>&mdash; Zargon (@heroquest) <a href=" ">November 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Telly

Citizen
well, we know theres at least a mock up of the frozen horror box. maybe this will be an official announcement? maybe the mercenaries from that?

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
See that's the only thing for me. I really have no idea what the expansions contain. So any new stuff will be entirely new to me.

But that said the two expansions included in the Mythic Tier was kinda disappointing. Haven't really ran through the quest books but Other than giving you one of each of the new door types It was just a doubler for your monster counts for either the green types (Goblins, Orcs, Fimir/Abombinations) or the Undead types with some new tiles. Obviously this teases a new hero class, but the Frozen Horror is more than just doubling the Chaos/Dread Monsters I hope.

And really from what I saw the new doors just end up being entrances and exits for the quests? That's a bit lame.I imagine there has to be a quest requiring a key to be found or smashing the door in.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Kellar and RotWL are pretty much straight updates of the original expansions, just like the base game is a straight update of the original game. I had those two expansions, so these new ones were pretty much just what I was expecting. I can definitely see how they could be disappointing though if you weren't already familiar with them.

Based on everything sticking so close to the originals so far, I wouldn't get my hopes up about a new hero class. Recall that they left a "The Frozen Horror" box on screen during PulseCon. It seems that some retailers had listings for it go up even before then. Well, that expansion has human mercenaries as enemy units. The scout class in particular uses a sword and shield. So I'd be willing to bet that that expansion will be announced Monday.

Some more information in that thread I linked suggests the first two expansions are supposed to get retail releases in January, with The Frozen Horror being released in August. Buckets of salt and all that.

If you want to know more about The Frozen Horror, or any of the other original expansions, these sites are decent resources:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
The best thing about the Mythic Tier HeroQuest Haslab is once you kick all those plastic trays to the curb it's possible to store the entireity within the main game box!

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Color me very pleasantly surprised. It appears the Zargon tease is not a Frozen Horror reveal after all. It's not a full expansion, but this Commander of the Guardian Knights is the first truly new thing for this new iteration of the game. And it's labeled a Hero Collection with red minis, so Daith called it correctly. 👏

I think I saw a reference to this being exclusive to GameStop/EB Games in Canada. I guess maybe GameStop in the US?

I wonder if this will become a regular thing, releasing additional hero classes as standalone packs. Very interesting.

HeroQuest Guardian Knights.jpg

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Also Pulse has the retail release of the main game up for pre-order…. for 129.99. The Base HasLab was under 100 wasn’t it?

Ok 99.99 so about a $30 mark up.

Last edited:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I was comfortable with the cost of the HasLab Mythic Tier before. Now, it's looking like an absolute steal in comparison. I'm so glad I didn't decide to wait for retail.

On the other hand, is that price realistic for retail? I have no idea what board games go for these days in general, but that seems awfully high, even considering how much is included. I'd hate to see this revival die an early death due to being too expensive.

Not sure what the deal is with the Commander of the Guardian Knight pack. It's up on GameStop, available at the end of the month. I don't see anything about it being an exclusive, but I don't see it up on Pulse.

Edit: It's also available through BBTS. I assume it'll be up elsewhere too.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It’s looking just like a new Knight class to play going by what BBTS has up. A male and female version of the figures plus cards needed. 14.99 seems ok for a new hero to play.

Looks like a defensive fighter type able to draw attention from wandering monsters in his vicinity, tank a killing blow, or block damage for an ally.

Last edited:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, kinda neat looking. You know, for whatever reason, I always had it in my mind back as a kid that the dwarf was a more defensive character than the barbarian. Looking back at it now, I see that's not the case. He's a bit weaker than the barbarian due to having one less body point, with no special defensive abilities or equipment. This new knight is basically what little-kid-me always thought the dwarf should have been.

I had a few e-mails with Hasbro yesterday and today. They say they'll be sending me a new female barbarian once they have stock available. It's the one real flaw I found in my set, so I'll be glad to get her fixed up. :D

Top Bottom