The Batman Will Rise in March 2022!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Starting up a new thread as recent developments these past few weeks have started to reignite the hype machine for the new film from director Michael Reeves. This weekend will see the premiere of a new trailer during DC Fandome. Our first new look at the film in nearly two years. There were leaks of Spin Master's 4" scale Batmobile with figure. And Lego posted preorders for the entire "The Batman" range, possibly including some spoilers or sneak peaks at characters/events from the film.
www.lego.com/batman

I'm a sucker for a Batman movie, and the attached talent is of a particularly high quality with this outing.

The film remains set for March 4, 2022. Which kind of surprises me given the kind of tentpole Batman films tend to be. Then again, with a reported budget of some $100 million (WELL below most recent Bat-films), maybe WB felt it would be a safer bet than trying to compete in an increasingly heavy summer slate (including things like WB's own Black Adam).

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
So, Film Theory did a big analysis for The Batman last year. Given what we've seen from the film...they might not be too far off...

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The latest trailer and some plot theorising does seem like this new early Batman will have his moral code tested to the limit.

Having the Court of Owls wouldn’t be surprising, since they’re getting a big push recently. Like the Gotham Knights game.

I really, really don’t want them to make his parents corrupt. I like Bruces parents being the straight arrows who die because of the corruption of Gotham. Not yet another tarnished set of do gooders who aren’t really good.

Making Bats look as if he murdered somebody is something i could see happening. But having him break his ‘no kill’ rule in year two? How do you get Batman to come back from that once its done?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I like the Batmobile. That might seem like a minor thing but using a modified muscle car seems like the movie gets Batman, compared to the military hardware of the Tumbler. While I liked Batman Begins and the The Dark Knight, the Nolanverse always had an air of trying too hard with "realism". At times that clashed with the clearly over the top elements and why I didn't enjoy The Dark Knight Rises. While these are just trailers, it feels like the heart is in the right place and it's using the darkness well.

I'd also hate to see the Waynes made corrupt. However, one thing I would be okay with is if they were made a few dark deals but were doing so with a genuine intention of doing good.

On Batman killing, the way they could come back from it is if they did like the incorrect prediction for Man of Steel's follow up: Killing someone is the act that leads to the No Killing as a "never again". Not what I'd want but it could work. Also, movie Batmen do have body counts.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
The "theme" (or core music threads of the film) got posted by composer Michael Giancchino to the YouTube. We've heard the "march" frequently, but a solid chunk of it is...suprisingly complex. The use of strings and brass evokes a LOT from Shirley Walker's work on Batman TAS to me. It's actually quite jarring given the bombastic Hans Zimmer stuff we've had since 2005, and actually seems to run a bit counter to the films own marketing. It has certainly increased my interest in seeing the film.

Go to 1:30 and tell me that run to 2:30 doesn't feel like something that could have appeared in the old 90s Batman cartoon.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I'm having a really good feeling about this movie. A lot of this movie is helping me frame what bugged me about the Nolanverse films. But yeah, this theme is layered.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The "theme" (or core music threads of the film) got posted by composer Michael Giancchino to the YouTube. We've heard the "march" frequently, but a solid chunk of it is...suprisingly complex. The use of strings and brass evokes a LOT from Shirley Walker's work on Batman TAS to me. It's actually quite jarring given the bombastic Hans Zimmer stuff we've had since 2005, and actually seems to run a bit counter to the films own marketing. It has certainly increased my interest in seeing the film.

Go to 1:30 and tell me that run to 2:30 doesn't feel like something that could have appeared in the old 90s Batman cartoon.

Pretty much all of it could fit into Batman the Animated Series.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I think the wildest thing about this movie is that I'm hyped for it but if you described it to me before the first two trailers, it would sound like something I'd hate. A fairly violent Batman with a gritty reimagining of the Riddler where he's essentially the player two colors for the Zodiac Killer with a potential reveal that Bruce's parents might have been crooked. The fact that it looks like it will work says a lot about everyone involved with the movie (including those who put together the trailers). I mean, it could turn around and disappoint but I've got an odd confidence they'll pull it off.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Bruce's parents being crooked isn't a new take either. Telltale Games' Batman story also used that particular angle.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Rumors are that internal WB tracking has this at +$150M opening. That's awfully bullish, but a Batman detective movie is what fan have been asking for since the first film was released. I don't know if I would go that high, but tickets go on sale a week from tomorrow, so we'll see if Warner Bros. mouth can be backed up by money.

spikeriley

Citizen

This is quite possibly the oddest fast food tie-in I have ever seen. A pizza shaped like a bat while calling itself a calzone (or Calzony, as Little Ceaser's calls it).

MrBlud

Citizen
I got free passes to a screening tonight.

I really enjoyed it. Best Batman movie since The Dark Knight. Pattinson’s Batman is a different version of the character than we’re used to but I dug it. BEAUTIFUL cinematography.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Neat. I want to see it, but I am not ready to go back to theaters anytime soon.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it. It's overly long, like each murder could have been an episode. I'm surprised to like Catwoman more than I thought. Pattinson is pretty good too. I actually like the lean Batman. I like that he's not much of a fighter. A pretty ok detective too. Not the super sharp yet.

Should someone get arrested for the fatalities on the road? There couldn't have been no fatalities there.

Oh what was the thing they flashed at the end of the credits? Was it gibberish or a url or something?

Could I get a rundown of the riddles? At least the ones that could be solved. The numbers aren't right but, well,

Riddle 1 - I got the key word only
Sorta riddle 2 - not fair
Riddle 3.1 - got it
Riddle 4 - not a riddle. Unless it is?
Riddle 5 - could it properly be answered?

If someone who watched it could confirm the actual riddle phrases please?

Riddle 1 - What does a Liar do when he's Dead? (I didn't see the three spaces to be filled but I figured the answer has LIES in it)

Riddle 2 - I forgot the phrase used for the La Ratta something? Was it even in the form of a riddle? (But there were too many answers.)

Riddle 3.1 - I am blind, poetic and something. Something something something. What's the whole riddle? (I figured the answer was Justice. The two follow up riddles were personal and can't be answered).

Riddle 4 - what's black and blue and dead? You? (I thought it would be a variation of the zebra or newspaper but it wasn't. Unless I missed a joke?)

Riddle 5 - The fewer you have, the more you're worth? (Friends? Is that right? The Joker made the riddle but it should make sense, right? But I don't get it.)

MrBlud

Citizen
Riddle 1 was “what does a liar do when he’s dead” and the answer was “He lies still”

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
FWIW, all the riddles in that sequence were used in the assorted trailers.

I agree it got a touch long. The ending, in particular, felt a little bloated for the messaging I think they were trying to convey. But until that point? I ADORED IT. It’s a wonderful pulpy-noir detective thriller with some GREAT horror sequences. I get tingly with the thought of what these people might do with Man-Bat or Scarecrow.

The 1992 Batman TAS influences were dripping all over the production design and music, and I LOVED it all the more for it. I also really dug the scratch built look to his gear. The contrast between high tech and analog tech is a wonderful thing, and I liked how they “built up” to the Batmobile, which got a righteous entrance (seen in trailers, but in the context of the film…amazing).
Also, since a LOT of people made a fuss over it here and elsewhere, it’s not a “jet engine”. It’s a big ass exhaust for a overly supped up muscle car

Top Bottom