The Batman Will Rise in March 2022!

Axaday

Citizen
I like that he's not much of a fighter.

The heck? He never had trouble with as many as 5 people as long as they didn't shoot him.

A pretty ok detective too. Not the super sharp yet.
[/QUOTE]

Really? He walks into a crime scene and they don't even want him there, but they all start taking pictures of whatever he looks at. He catches details at a glance that the guy who was working it when he got there didn't. He knew he was looking for a USB port in a car. He figured out URL. He knew the answer to every riddle. I'm not sure where you are waiting for him to get to.

Axaday

Citizen
I agree it got a touch long. The ending, in particular, felt a little bloated for the messaging I think they were trying to convey. But until that point? I ADORED IT.

I went in knowing its length had been criticized and I had the same experience as you. Way in I was saying I wouldn't have cut a single thing, but before the very end I felt like the movie WAS actually done and they should let me go home. But I forgive it.

Also, since a LOT of people made a fuss over it here and elsewhere, it’s not a “jet engine”. It’s a big ass exhaust for a overly supped up muscle car

I'm not sure we can apply real science to that, but when he turned on whatever he turned on, there was a blue flame or blue glow coming out the back. I think they meant to say it was a rocket.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I'm not sure we can apply real science to that, but when he turned on whatever he turned on, there was a blue flame or blue glow coming out the back. I think they meant to say it was a rocket.
I’m on a mobile, so I’ll have to slap a video later….but I recall a LOT of people were bothered by the “jet engine/rocket” on a rather regular looking car. In the film, it makes it MUCH clearer that the Batmobile is a highly customized muscle car, and the “blue flame” is VERY similar to nitrous oxide overboost exhaust in street racers. And I don’t recall said flames being consistent.
So this Batmobile doesn’t have a rocket or jet engine booster. The back was just a HUGE exhaust for massive amounts of NOS (or equivalent) he was running through that engine. Which not only added to the visual (imagine being chased by a car with blue flames flickering out the hood!), but likely contributed to the AMAZINGLY awful sound the car made. If the Sound Team doesn’t AT LEAST get an Oscar nod, it will be a real offense. I think that element adds a LOT to the grounding of the vehicle, but it’s still “out there“ enough to exist in the surreal world of this film.

Of course, driving around in a car with enough NOS to achieve that effect would be akin to driving a fricking BOMB around in real life, so….

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
The heck? He never had trouble with as many as 5 people as long as they didn't shoot him.

Really? He walks into a crime scene and they don't even want him there, but they all start taking pictures of whatever he looks at. He catches details at a glance that the guy who was working it when he got there didn't. He knew he was looking for a USB port in a car. He figured out URL. He knew the answer to every riddle. I'm not sure where you are waiting for him to get to.
[/QUOTE]

At the start, he was taking hits from the back. Like, he wasn't portrayed as he can dodge someone hitting his back with a crowbar. He wasn't portrayed as supernaturally perfect in a fight. So that's pretty cool. The cape thing at the end was awkward tho, like he didn't design for them to break away when the bad guys started dragging him with it.

Detective wise, he seemed infallible at the start but later he missed the language lesson Penguin gave him and when the cop explained the murder weapon. But it's absolutely fine that he's not the best detective yet. It'd be boring if he knew all the answers... right off the bat (haha).

MrBlud

Citizen

Alfred helped him with the first cipher. They both (plus Gordon) didn’t get the URL clue until Penguin yelled at them for their poor Spanish. He didn’t know what the carpet pusher thing was until the Patrolman told him. Which led to him being too late the stop the first part of Riddler’s plan to flood the city.

So yeah in comparison to Comic Batman and his “This clue refers to a misprint in a single edition of a 13th century book of poetry” this Batman is noticeably slower on the uptake.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
To be fair, the comic Batman has seen a "power creep" as bad as any other popular character (Wolverine, especially in the films, got really OP).

I think this film was REALLY good at finding a nice medium at showing him being EXTREMELY capable all around (as a fighter, a detective, an engineer), but not supernaturally skilled as the comics and movies have tended to skew these past few years.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Did they explain how Riddler knew all these secrets? I feel like there was a throway line or something but I just missed it.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I thought for sure that he was the...

... son of the journalist who was killed for investigating the crimes. But I guess not?

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Did they explain how Riddler knew all these secrets? I feel like there was a throway line or something but I just missed it.

He was a Forensic Accountant for the City of Gotham who stumbled upon the 'Renewal' ledgers.

They mention that one of the ID's brings up his vocation and then in his 'confession' he says something along the lines of "...and then a folder happened across my desk, RENEWAL."

MrBlud

Citizen
Speaking of that…

While I can understand not wanting his name to be a pun in this “realistic, grounded version.” When you give him a fake ID and NOT USE “Edward Nygma” I’m a bit pissed honestly.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I liked this movie quite a bit. Far from my favorite take on Batman, but overall it was pretty damn good..

But you can still call me a hater on the Batmobile. Won't deny, it did look cool as it was first reved up in the shadows. But it really is just a souped up muscle car which kinda flops to the other side of the Batmobiles of recent movies on being too much of a real thing. And unlike the Tumbler or the DCEU Batmobile with their tank like vehicles, a souped up muscle car on it's own external design is just another black car. There really is nothing to me that screams Batmobile. But considering this feels like a less capable Batman than most we've known I guess it works. If this was just this Bruce and Alfred's work, it's entirely believable that this was the result of their efforts.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Riddle 5 - The fewer you have, the more you're worth? (Friends? Is that right? The Joker made the riddle but it should make sense, right? But I don't get it.)
If you only have one friend, they likely mean everything to you. They are by default your best friend, and are probably a huge part of your life. If you have a bunch of friends odds are your time and affection is somewhat spread between them. The fewer friends you have the more important and valuable each one of them is to you.
The 1992 Batman TAS influences were dripping all over the production design and music, and I LOVED it all the more for it. I also really dug the scratch built look to his gear. The contrast between high tech and analog tech is a wonderful thing, and I liked how they “built up” to the Batmobile, which got a righteous entrance (seen in trailers, but in the context of the film…amazing).
Also, since a LOT of people made a fuss over it here and elsewhere, it’s not a “jet engine”. It’s a big ass exhaust for a overly supped up muscle car
I can't quite put my finger on where it comes from but I also got a huge Batman TAS vibe from it.
To be fair, the comic Batman has seen a "power creep" as bad as any other popular character (Wolverine, especially in the films, got really OP).

I think this film was REALLY good at finding a nice medium at showing him being EXTREMELY capable all around (as a fighter, a detective, an engineer), but not supernaturally skilled as the comics and movies have tended to skew these past few years.
Agree. He seems just about right here. He is not infallible but in every fight scene he was clearly in charge and feared.

Alfred, and Gordon both got to contribute to detective work and puzzle solving, but never at Batman's expense, he was always the main thrust of the detective work.

Ridler was the only one shown to be in Batman's league.

Speaking of that…

While I can understand not wanting his name to be a pun in this “realistic, grounded version.” When you give him a fake ID and NOT USE “Edward Nygma” I’m a bit pissed honestly.
Completely wasted opportunity.
I liked this movie quite a bit. Far from my favorite take on Batman, but overall it was pretty damn good..

But you can still call me a hater on the Batmobile. Won't deny, it did look cool as it was first reved up in the shadows. But it really is just a souped up muscle car which kinda flops to the other side of the Batmobiles of recent movies on being too much of a real thing. And unlike the Tumbler or the DCEU Batmobile with their tank like vehicles, a souped up muscle car on it's own external design is just another black car. There really is nothing to me that screams Batmobile. But considering this feels like a less capable Batman than most we've known I guess it works. If this was just this Bruce and Alfred's work, it's entirely believable that this was the result of their efforts.

Mad Max Batmobile is so much better and cooler than any other Batmobile it's on another level.

I've not been a huge Batman fan since Batman TAS. IMO this is the best portrayal of the character and world since then.

The pacing of, detective work/puzzle solving leading to a fight/action scene, leading to more detective work leading to another action scene is exactly what I want from Batman.

Pattenson plays the best live action Batman by far. He pulls off the effortless confidence and cool of TAS Batman. I like that we get Batman, Bruce Wayne, and incognito mode Batman.

I can't really make a judgment on his Bruce Wayne, as at this point his Bruce Wayne is mostly just unsuited Batman.

I really liked this Gordon, and his relationship with Batman.

I often actively dislike Catwoman, but she was well done here, and didn't bloat the film as I had feared. I like that she was shown to be super competent in hand to hand, but still no match for Batman.

Is it just me, or does Batman juice up with Bane stimulants at the end of the movie? Looked like it was green, and gave him a strength buff, and made him rage out.

I really liked the Batman/Alfred dynamic as well. Alfreds clear love and devotion to Batman, but feeling like he failed him. Batman starting off blind to the fact, that Alfred has been as much of a dad to him, as his biological father ever was, but realizing it when he almost loses him.

Axaday

Citizen
The color, and fact he had to be pulled off the guy is what lead me to belive it might be an Easter egg, or set up. It's pretty much just super adrenaline anyways isn't it?
He had to be pulled off the guy because the emotion he still hasn't mastered is fear that someone he cares about will be taken from him. That guy almost killed Selena and Bruce couldn't control himself.

MrBlud

Citizen
I have serious doubts they would write it; but this is the first live action Batman I feel *absolutely* needs a Robin to pull him out of his pit of darkness.

An actual child and not a twenty-seven year old man though.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
If you only have one friend, they likely mean everything to you. They are by default your best friend, and are probably a huge part of your life. If you have a bunch of friends odds are your time and affection is somewhat spread between them. The fewer friends you have the more important and valuable each one of them is to you.
So I got the gist of the last Riddle correct? I'd like the exact phrasing.
I'm thinking of alternate answers to that too. I thought it was a variation of 'holes'. Ala, the more you have of it, the less you'll have.

With how Riddler behaved in this movie, made me feel we could have had him in Bale's The Dark Knight instead of Joker.

Top Bottom