The artemis moon mission.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Hey folks, let's talk about this for a moment.

On monday, the artemis rocket will be launching, with the goal of swinging round the ass end of the moon to takes all kinds of meaningful readings and notes to fine tune the manned mission planned to launch in 2024. This is going to be the BIGGEST lunar mission since the apollo program ended all those many decades ago. Sure, there's been some probes and satelites since, but this is human scaled equipment and measures, and in preparation to return to our closest neighbour. I know that life, the world and everything has been... pretty goddamn crappy the last few years, but I think we can all take this moment to stop, watch, and admire.

I also learned tonight that the artemis will be launching a few short miles from the sheds that store NASA remnant saturn V; the vehicle that took men to the moon in the first place. I'm not usually sentimental, but in this moment all I could think was "I'm doing it daddy!". A new generation stepping up, and filling the shoes of those who had come before.

Apparently there are no end of known viewing parties in the states, but I do hope everyone can take a few minutes during the launch window and observe. After the last few years seeing history in the making might be akin to PTSD, but at least THIS can be awe inspiring.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've actually got a tiny, completely inconsequential connection to this launch! On the launch tower, there is a huge portable pump that drains fuel out in the event of an aborted launch. If that unit fails, there are two backups stored right next to it on the tower. My company built the machines that would be used to move the backups into position IF the launch is aborted last minute AND the primary pump fails. We built those for them years ago, and I got to take a few trips down to Kennedy Space Center for the installation and testing up on the launch tower. Got to tour the crawler and visit the top of the Vehicle Assembly Building. Got to watch Space-X launch a rocket from their launch site while I was standing on the NASA launch tower. It was an awesome experience. Kind of neat to be involved in some tiny, tiny way.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Welp, scrubbed for today due to technical issues, but hey: at least they might get some use out of dono's fuel pumps! :D

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright folks! They're trying again today! Launch window starts at 2.17 pm eastern time!

Axaday

Citizen
He didn't build it. He was designing on it and I think he was probably done years ago. It has taken forever to get one of these into space.

Top Bottom