Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Are kanzashi (that Japanese hair ornament on the mannequin head) usually adorned with bird cages? *squints* Or is that a tiny gazebo?

Again, if that's Sunny's alicorn glitter in that cannon....

Zipp DOES look cool in that helmet, it is PERFECTLY designed to go with her hair...but is it a safety hazard having a giant spike sticking out of the top of her head?

Hitch: Believe in the pony who believes in you! (...He looks like Kamina from Gurren Lagann, okay?)

"I already built a skate park!" Okay, well, Zipp wins. That must have taken a lot of effort and heavy lifting. I'm not sure how she did that. I mean, I guess she did the same thing to the old Canter Logic building. I guess this is her thing? It's weird that this is her thing.

This is what happens when you don't have a Pinkie Pie. Say what you will but Pinkie had ALL parties on lock.

"I do love a good CRAFT-ernoon" Also, puns, apparently. Also, did Izzy make Sunny bring her own smoothies to her own party?

Huh, Zipp has skating skills. I don't think we knew that. Sunny's kind of a given.

It concerns me that Pipp has so many wigs. Is this what she does with everyone's hair from her salon? Sure would be easy for one of them to go missing. *Looks over at Opaline suspiciously*

I feel like Sunny's pink wig is a reference to something....it doesn't quite look like Mitsuri from Demon Slayer, but I feel like it's something. There is NO WAY to narrow this down.

Sunny and Hitch have their own little dance, like Twilight and Cadence. That's too cute. I forgot about that from the Movie.

And...they're officially taking it too far.

"Catch me!" How much do you think Sunny can lift, Hitch?

...But they were ALREADY combining their parties. This is just the same thing executed better!

I feel like they really wanted that shot of everyone skating on the dance floor while the camera rotates to be impressive. It's a ambitious shot for a 5 minute short.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
AHH! Pipp what strange hoof based sorcery do you possess?! No one should be able to change nail colors that quickly!

Oh...right, magic mirrors. I keep forgetting those are a thing...since they come up so infrequently.

"I've never created my own designs before" ...And we have the plot of this episode!

Blink and you'll miss it Luna reference hooves!

Rufus has some serious bling going on with those golden hooves.

"You have a date with destiny!" "Actually, Destiny has a appointment for a hooficure NEXT week."

Only the smoothest of Jazz for Jazz Hooves.

The music note hitting her head is actually a nicely animated little moment.

I assume Jazz has never heard Jazz before. Weird. Nice that she's learning to improvise from it, though.

So...do the racoonicorns PAY for manicures or...?

Izzy...was actually REALLY helpful here. And showed some good insight into what Jazz needed. Izzy is helpful count...1.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Witchcraft!

I expected an Izzy episode. I haven't seen her yet.

There she is.

I don't know why I'm still surprised, but this episode is not judging Jazz for using premade designs instead of making her own. She needs to learn this lesson, but there's no shame in not already learning it before now.

Bridlewood!

How'd they get Hitch to agree to this?

That was a very simple episode. That's fine. They don't all need to be ambitious. It is an unusually good showing for TYT Izzy, so that's nice.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, she's never getting that glitter out of her lungs. She's going to be coughing up glitter until doomsday. So... next Monday.

It's kind of impressive that she made the glitter float in the air like that ONLY using chemistry. Applebloom's love of chemistry and potions lives on! Also...GAK GAK GAK!

So...the glitterbeard is going to be her "new product", right? Huh...needs a eyepatch.

Sunny...too polite to interrupt, even though this situation seems to be FREAKING her out.

Sunny's compact seems to have a VERY G3-looking alicorn on the cover. Those puffy cheeks are distinctly G3, to me.

Are...are the "Pippsqueaks" specifically these 3 fillies? Is that their group name? I guess we need a Cutie Mark Crusaders for this generation. Kind of confusing when ALL fans of Pipp are called Pippsqueaks, but, whatever.

Sunny just straight-up starts drinking Pipp's smoothie when she starts freaking out about the glitterbeard...AFTER Pipp started drinking it. Sunny is gross count: 1. The Pony-FDA would NOT approve.

Pipp is surprisingly good at stalking children...OH NO!

*snerk* Okay, Pipp hiding behind a cardboard cutout of herself is cute.

At least the fillies have a pretty decent sense of stranger-danger...mind you they also shouldn't be going off with some random celebrity they only know online...

It seems like it was...REALLY easy to remove the glitterbeard. They don't even show how Pipp got it off.

We get in-show names for all the fillies: Seashell, Glory, and Peach Fizz. I think we knew all of these, but it's good to have them in-show.

Children with lipstick on feels...icky. But, I guess it's a thing real kids do.

"Unicorny Morning Breath"...At least it's memorable.

This is the episode we're getting before the first part of the Make Your Mark series starts. How much will be retconned or contradicted? Will ANYTHING be the same EVER AGAIN?! ...Probably

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I see Zipp is having an influence on Pipp.

Oh no she's creating Gak.

"Sunnyyyyyyyy." Pipp has the best voice acting in TYT.

*twitcha twitch*

Pipp hasn't seen her reflection before this? See she can put her phone down sometimes.

CMC 2.0. I need to commit their names to memory at some point.

It's interesting how much they've played up Sunny's smoothie business. Hasbro clearly wanted this.

... Zipp is DEFINITELY having an influence on Pipp.

Using the swing like a proper quadruped. See animators, isn't this more fun?

... So getting rid of the beard didn't come with any artificial difficulty. She just needed a moment to do it offscreen.

They're doing that thing they did with Rarity, where they take her least relatable qualities and make them relatable by making them her job.

Shadewing

Citizen
Are...are the "Pippsqueaks" specifically these 3 fillies? Is that their group name? I guess we need a Cutie Mark Crusaders for this generation. Kind of confusing when ALL fans of Pipp are called Pippsqueaks, but, whatever.

Likely they will be called that, but I imagine that they were the easiest to find since they showed up in the right place at the right time.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen

I knew the moment Zaku mentioned it was weird that Opaline and Misty hadn't shown up in these shorts, this short would have them. I just knew it. XD

It bothers me immensely that Misty's hair is going down the opposite side than it does in the Make Your Mark series. Like why?

Also since when did she have that pendant?

I love Sunny using key's to lure away Izzy. XD

What was Misty even taking notes on when she was in the trash can? Hitch and Sparky clearly came around a corner.

Who paid for all those snacks?

So, we don't have Pip check anywhere? I know she goes to her salon, but Hitch totally ignores she's there.

"Baked into a pie or eaten by bees!"

"Look at the bunnycorn Hitch!" XD Sorry I loved those.

All in all a good episode. I gotta say though. I know some of you are enjoying the Misty Abuse, but for me this is going to get old real fast. I really want to reach into the screen and just give her a hug. The poor mare.

Shadewing

Citizen
All in all a good episode. I gotta say though. I know some of you are enjoying the Misty Abuse, but for me this is going to get old real fast. I really want to reach into the screen and just give her a hug. The poor mare.

I think that's kinda the point of it. Its very much telegraphed that Misty is gonna become the Mane 5's 6th Ranger by the end of the season. Misty is bad at being bad, and all it does is lead to misfortune and sadness for her; its gonna be a big constrast once she realizes she's been on the wrong side and starts to actually be good and how much her life has improved becuase of it.

Also for the sake of Zaku's timeline; I feel like this HAS to come before 'Have you seen this Dragon?' becuase it doesn't make sense coming after it. Since Misty is like 'Oh that's why she wants Dragonfire' when HYSTD she knows and if she didn't she's seen a very temporally full powered Opaline to know. So to me it makes sense that this is between Hoof Done It and HYSTD, with 'FInd me that Dragon' leading to Misty here is taking notes and learning he's in the police station, leading to her dragonnapping him from the Police station.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, look Sparky's here. I guess some of the Make Your Mark characters WILL be showing up in this.

Baby in a bucket! Fun for the whole family!

"Spaghetti-Snacks" Hitch! You're only making the snacks more unique and exciting! And potentially trademark-able!

We even get Misty! Suddenly A LOT of things are showing up here! This is basically just picking up RIGHT after MYM C2 E8. I kind of feel bad for anyone who hasn't managed to marathon all 8 episodes yet. This...is maybe not ideal.

Poor Misty...now we're going to get twice as much Misty-buse.

The Eldritch Horror Amulet is new, though. I wonder if that'll be a think in MYM?

So...I guess Opaline's element is supposed to be...Fire? I thought Misty was just being poetic in Make Your Mark, but I guess she's being literal, I guess that jibes with Sun, Moon, Love, and Friendship. These Alicorn elements can be just about anything. Is there a good Water Alicorn we should be on the lookout for? Are we going to get Air and Earth Alicorns, too?

Where is Hitch getting the money for all this security? Is he using the town's budget? I guess they might have some surplus from decommissioning all the unicorn traps.

KEYS! No wonder Izzy gets along with Sparky so easily...

Is that a new version of Minty pulling that cake cart?

"I thought you were...or baked into a pie!" Someone's been reading fairy tales, lately.

OH NO, MISTY'S GLORIOUS MANE! I guess Opaline can probably change it back? Or..."drink" some of the dragonfire off of it? At least the flower's kind of pretty, Misty might like that.

Honestly, I kind of want Misty to get a win, somehow. A pet that shows her some affection or something?

At this point, I'm still thinking there's a possibility that all this abuse and neglect will eventually make her snap. And then she'll...chug one of Opaline's potions or something and become a Kaiju for the season finale or something. (There WAS that bottle with a Crescent Moon stopper that looked important and/or Nightmare Moon related in Make Your Mark C2).

And I don't really want that. Misty's sweet. She deserves to find some happiness.

It bothers me immensely that Misty's hair is going down the opposite side than it does in the Make Your Mark series. Like why?
Yeah, that does seem odd. Probably has something to do with the limitations of flash (or whatever they're actually using). Or maybe someone just flipped it and didn't notice.

Maybe it just looked weird in 2D to them parted on the other side?
Also for the sake of Zaku's timeline; I feel like this HAS to come before 'Have you seen this Dragon?' becuase it doesn't make sense coming after it. Since Misty is like 'Oh that's why she wants Dragonfire' when HYSTD she knows and if she didn't she's seen a very temporally full powered Opaline to know. So to me it makes sense that this is between Hoof Done It and HYSTD, with 'FInd me that Dragon' leading to Misty here is taking notes and learning he's in the police station, leading to her dragonnapping him from the Police station.
Hmm...if we're being strict about it, maybe. This is clearly just exposition for the sake of the audience. Some of these episodes MIGHT be taking place right in the middle of MYM C2. But...I'd still probably just recommend checking them out AFTER watching MYM, personally.

You COULD just smooth it over by saying that she's only NOW realizing how impressive Sparky's dragonfire actually is. She might be seeing it in a new light after seeing Opaline use it. It's easy to dismiss if you don't know what else it can do in the right/wrong hands.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
More new content:

0:01 Okay I'm sure I've well established by now that I don't like TYT's animation style ... but Sparky's design is cuter here than in MYM. This could work.

0:05 That is some cheap metal.

0:44 "No snacks" Isn't that illegal in Maretime Bay?

1:05 This window probably shouldn't be open, for this and other reasons. ... Oh that must be TYT Misty. And she's already having a bad time.

1:10 Oh no the necklace is turning into a Kirby boss.

1:57 We're going to get a loop of this.

2:07 You can never have enough security.

2:23 Getting bitten there would not hurt. That's just hair. Horse tails are short.

2:30 Misty got a souvenir.

2:45 Misty abuse.

2:59 I see Sparky's hoarding instinct is already blooming.

3:48 You did it, TYT. I'm tired of this.

4:16 Izzy really is wise.

I didn't enjoy this one much, but it's not fair. It's not TYT's fault that MYM made me tired of this dragon. He's cuter here. If MYM had not just covered this, this would have been mostly fine. If this one aired even a week from now I'd probably enjoy it more.

The remaining problem with this would be Misty. Misty abuse gives me joy, but it's better suited to MYM pacing. Her pain needs setup and payoff. TYT just doesn't have enough time to do anything but payoff if they're going to do it this many times, weaving around the main plot. If they're going to make it work, it needs to be a once an episode kind of thing. Keep us in suspense wondering what kind of Rube Goldberg trap the episode is building for her.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Revising my opinion of that episode upwards because I've already used the "Look at the bunnycorn" line. That was gold.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen

So for whatever weird reason, the only way to watch this episode is in one of those 30 min compilations. It's not posted on its own.

Nice to see that Nightmare Night continues on.

I'm guessing the pipsqueak trio are suppose to be doing the twins from Shining? Just as triplets?

I'm not sure what's worse. Hitch is just himself with a mustache. (He's clearly movie star Hitch. Cue the toys!) or that everypony loves it.

I was totally expecting Sunny to say the Night will last for a long time! Or something, but instead she's just "Hi!"

Wait... is the camera pony Tuxedo Mask?! ...I'm going to say yes that's a Tuxedo Mask costume. YAY SAILOR MOON!

I really want to know if this pendant will show up in the next Make Your Mark thing.

"Was that a flying snail?" Okay I really want to know where exactly Opaline IS and how she was cut off from the world, or just what was cut off from the world that Twilight mentions how they can be seen again. I need more information on this!

GO FOR ONE OF THE OTHER APPLES!

"And just be normal!" Misty I love you.

Misty DOES look good in that mask.

Not a bad song either. I'm hoping the channel starts releasing all the songs from Make your Mark Chapter 2, and these songs in full like they did with the ones before. I mean we got a full song of the "Pony Trot" I hadn't expected that.

Shadewing

Citizen
I really think Misty is at her best in this one. We continue seeing her being a subpar villian with subpar sneaking skills, and being completely adorkable the whole time, but it actually kinda works this time with some very low level chaos. She actually accomplishes something and almost gets complimented for it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nightmare Night! G5 does its first holiday episode.

I'm tired of the Pippsqueaks. I can't tell their personalities apart yet.

Poor Luna. The image of Nightmare Moon is the only memory of her that survived. I was almost annoyed to see G5 playing with our memories like that because aside from IDW it really hasn't been doing that. It has narrative connections to G4, but it has been surprisingly restrained when it comes to specific references. I was almost annoyed. But the thought that this is the only surviving cultural memory of Luna is just too tragic and believable. I mean, it did happen before. The memory of Nightmare Moon survived as a part of Nightmare Night iconography, but the fact that she was an actual person was forgotten. So it just happened again.

Izzy that costume is mildly disturbing.

Jazz' creativity issues aren't 100% resolved yet.

Misty.

Misty is successfully causing trouble instead of just taking abuse. Interesting.

Earth pony magic really has a hair trigger.

Always crushing Misty's dreams.

Last episode had me concerned, but TYT's handling of Misty is already improving. These writers have a humble job but they are taking it seriously.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Poor Luna. The image of Nightmare Moon is the only memory of her that survived. I was almost annoyed to see G5 playing with our memories like that because aside from IDW it really hasn't been doing that. It has narrative connections to G4, but it has been surprisingly restrained when it comes to specific references. I was almost annoyed. But the thought that this is the only surviving cultural memory of Luna is just too tragic and believable. I mean, it did happen before. The memory of Nightmare Moon survived as a part of Nightmare Night iconography, but the fact that she was an actual person was forgotten. So it just happened again.
I want to point out that it's Sunny who is dressed as Nightmare Moon. If there is ANY PONY that knows anything about Nightmare Moon/Luna and her connection to the Holiday it's her. We don't even know if Nightmare Moon is even the face of this holiday anymore. This could just well be Sunny being Sunny and wanting to do a costume that pays respect to the holiday.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
We're getting our Halloween/Nightmare Night episode.

Pipp is some sort of sci-fi looking queen. Subtle. Looks like something from the Fifth Element, to me.

The Pippsqueaks are the creepy twins from The Shining.

Zipp is...Arrowette from Young Justice?

Rufus is a clown...so he's gotta go.

They're just reusing Hitch's outfit from Sunny's birthday episode....WITH A MUSTACHE!

EVIL COMPACT MIRROR!

Sunny going as Nightmare Moon. Playing against type, okay, I can dig it. She even painted her wings black. Could this be...foreshadowing?

Oh, my gosh, Izzy's going as Sunny! Oh...wait, each hoof is a different friend? That's...unique, anyway. The Composite Superfriend!

We have Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon holding the TV camera.

Misty is...the Phantom of the Opera? Or a Eyes Wide Shut reference (EVERYONE is too young to know what that is!).

She seriously has a thing for butterflies. This mask. The butterfly pencil topper she had last episode of TYT. Her fake cutie mark in MYM. I'm going to go out on a limb and say...Misty likes butterflies.

Jazz is...Rainbow Dash?

Even Opaline thinks the animals are weird!

Misty has been skipping evil laugh classes again, I see.

A new song! And it's okay!

"I am...just being normal! Normal! Woo! Woo! Woo-hoo!" ...Now is not the time to be adorable Misty! ...Okay, maybe it is, continue.

So, Opaline wants to observe the other ponies using their magic.

I assume only Misty can see the giant floating glowing Opaline head? Otherwise, at the party, everyone should have noticed that when the lights were out.

I'm not sure if decorating the plant is enough for a "WOAH!", but okay.

Run children! Run from the clown!

And Izzy's the one to get Misty to dance. They're planning SOMETHING with this friendship.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Opaline is better in TYT and I'm not surprised anymore. This team is good at what they do.

Shadewing

Citizen

Like before, its part of a compilation.

Okay, after the complete disappointment that was She-Hulk; THIS is what I needed. A very fun little episode, that seems to be a direct continuation of last week (Still nightmare night, Same costumes; just Trick or Treating post party)

Not sure we needed Dragonfire farts, but Misty gets her best come-uppence to date.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
So... this existed the entire time right? Otherwise did Misty build all this in a freaking HOUR!? Where did this thing come from!?

Top Bottom