Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They had me at the thumbnail.

Another Halloween episode? This crew is figuring out some actual benefits of the short episode length. Instead of one 22 minute episode with costumes, they get to do a couple short episodes that get to focus on totally different things within the theme. This is festive.

Same costumes as before. They knew we'd like Nightmare Sunny.

Posey's rage fear is justified. She knows an encounter with this gang cannot possibly go well for her, even in an interaction as simple as this.

Posey's rage is justified.

Her ears get red first.

It actually makes a lot of sense that pegasuses would have a more developed idea of spookiness. Zephyr Heights is hard to invade. They thrived in safety while everyone else wallowed in paranoia. They had to try harder to get some scares.

Misty works quickly.

Seriously. How did the wildlife get like this?

I've cleaned scarier houses than this.

Why?

Okay the Scooby-Doo hallway. It's a cliche, but I've seen a floorplan that actually had this. It exists.

Easy resolution for Hitch this time. I'm tired of them looking for Sparky but it is refreshing that the focus wasn't on Hitch and it worked out for him so easily.

Pipp is just enjoying this.

And something terrible happens to Misty, and it's not even slapstick.

Why though?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Huh...another Nightmare Night episode. I wonder if we're getting a whole month of Halloween episodes from TYT?

Aww, Dahlia's not wearing a costume. No fun.

Rocky Riff's costume MIGHT be new. A skeleton mask.

Everyone's giving out the same (candied?) apples and carrots. Kind of boring. I guess they DO all shop at the same store, but still.

The baby apparently ate something that didn't agree with him. Poor little guy.

They need to get Sparky to turn some of Posey's tree's into marinara sauce for those spaghetti-flowers. Posey's rage is justified count: 1.

"Everypony knows that pasta gives me..."...I'm both curious to know how she was going to finish that sentence, and aware that I'm probably better off NOT knowing.

Izzy EATING the pasta-flowers in front of Posey...Posey's rage is justified count: 2. To be fair...I'd be tempted to try them, too, though.

Be careful what you wish for Pipp. This is a world that CAN grant you ANY sort of scare you can imagine.

*Drops flyers for the Haunted House right in front of the Mane 5* "...Seeya!" Subtle, Misty, subtle...

Hitch is afraid of the dark! I'm pretty sure that doesn't track with what we've seen before, but, whatever. It's interesting that IZZY is the pony he hides behind, though.

Where'd Misty get so many old TVs? Did the TV store get rid of it's old inventory?

The giant, glowing head of Opaline has garlic breath....again, I'm curious what she ate, but I'm probably better off not knowing. This "illusion" can transmit smells?

Heh, the ghosts have googly eyes.

And the day is saved thanks to...dragon farts. Yay... it IS interesting to note that instead of transforming anything, this just seemed purely destructive.

At this point, Sparky's just enjoying playing this game with Misty every time they meet.

Scooby-Doo hallway...classic!

*Sparky just plops right into Hitch's arms* Well, that was easy.

Are they trying to do a pseudo-Blair Witch thing with Pipp's livestream? That...would have been more clever if they had more time to do it.

"What have I done?" Apparently, make a few thousand dollars in bits in one night. I guess we know where she gets any money she needs for the rest of the show.

So... this existed the entire time right? Otherwise did Misty build all this in a freaking HOUR!? Where did this thing come from!?
Remember, Zipp was able to retrofit the old Canterlogic factory into a obstacle course for Sunny to test her alicorn powers. And built her a entire skate part in secret for her birthday.

Some ponies just have Minecraft powers in this world.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Huh...another Nightmare Night episode. I wonder if we're getting a whole month of Halloween episodes from TYT?
That may be too much to hope for, but it would be cool.

Everyone's giving out the same (candied?) apples and carrots. Kind of boring. I guess they DO all shop at the same store, but still.
When you put it that way it makes too much sense. If the town had a prominent candy store we probably would have seen it before, and if you went back and watched the movie again you'd probably find out it was there all along. G5 does that.

Be careful what you wish for Pipp. This is a world that CAN grant you ANY sort of scare you can imagine.
Then it turned out she's into that. Pipp is fun.

But then Pipp wasn't too distracted by how much fun she was having to take the search for Sparky seriously. This episode really does some things right.

*Drops flyers for the Haunted House right in front of the Mane 5* "...Seeya!" Subtle, Misty, subtle...
She's getting better at this whole villain thing. We shouldn't be proud of her for that, but I'm proud of her anyway.

Where'd Misty get so many old TVs? Did the TV store get rid of it's old inventory?
I'm sure Canterlogic flooded the market when they went bankrupt. Concept art shows the place was full of old monitors. How she got all these so quickly, or whether she's been gathering this stuff for some time, is unknown.

Maybe she's been talking to Izzy again, and Izzy's passion for restoring old junk is rubbing off on her.

*Sparky just plops right into Hitch's arms* Well, that was easy.
I love that Hitch finally got a break here. After doing the missing Sparky plotline too many times he's earned an easy win. That's all I'm going to say about Sparky in this episode.

"What have I done?" Apparently, make a few thousand dollars in bits in one night. I guess we know where she gets any money she needs for the rest of the show.
I want to see Misty fail upwards. She is now wealthier than Opaline, accidentally. She's going to take over the world by failing all her immediate goals.

Remember, Zipp was able to retrofit the old Canterlogic factory into a obstacle course for Sunny to test her alicorn powers. And built her a entire skate part in secret for her birthday.

Some ponies just have Minecraft powers in this world.
It is possible that Zipp started those projects earlier. I could easily see her starting that obstacle course out of boredom. It's a huge abandoned building full of old stuff. That's her dream playground.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Awww...I guess the Halloween/Nightmare Night episodes are over.

I DO wonder where they're going in such nice dresses and tuxedos, though.

They chose Jazz to critter-sit? I mean...okay, but it feels a little random. Pipp and Zipp do have guardponies they could call on for something like this.

"Byyyyeeee" Pipp knows this is going to end badly.

Really should have called in more than one pony for all these pets....

"Where'd you get that birthday cake?" This is My Little Pony, Jazz....there's ALWAYS cake! Also, the cake was shaped like Pipp, I assume it's Pipp's birthday? Odd they don't bring it up at all.

Wouldn't hot cocoa just make them MORE rowdy with all the sugar? Jazz isn't great at this.

A bedtime story...with a fashion magazine? Are you going to read them "5 Tips to Mane-tain your Beauty"?

Wait, wait, wait....You can CALL Opaline with the magic compact mirror? That seems like a REALLY bad idea if you're using it to spy on someone. I mean, I know Misty did that at the sleepover, but I thought that was just because Opaline was waiting for a communication. If you can just force a signal by pressing a button, then....wait, how is the signal getting through at the Brighthouse, anyway? Misty had to lean out a window, before.

Also: The bunnies actually SEE Opaline....and Opaline has a night-time beauty regiment. Go figure.

Is Mc Snips-a-lot JEALOUS of Hitch spending time with his friends? Is that why he's tearing up all these photos?

Unicorn Bunny poop is a LOT more colorful than I imagined....*SIGH* why'd they have to show it?

Rainbow Dash doll in the pile of stuff.

Not sure how I feel about REWARDING the critter's bad behavior...but sometimes it's just about survival. Do what you must, Jazz.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm in a hospital waiting room so I can't do a proper writeup yet. But I have to say, short content like this isn't just good for short attention spans. Sometimes it's good for where you are. This would be a terrible way to try to watch a movie. Even a 22 minute episode might make my wrist ache. But this 5 minute show works fine.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This isn't Halloween anymore.

"Byyyyeeee." Pipp's voice acting is the best in the show.

"Where did you get a birthday cake?"

Oh there's another cake. Who is making all these?

Come on, Jazz, the snail really isn't causing any trouble.

Maybe having this many critters in your house is a bad idea. I keep mine outside.

Why?

I didn't see this solution coming. Okay it's not working perfectly.

Yeah we're definitely going to get an episode showing how their evening went.

I don't know why I'm surprised that it ended like that. Once again G5 has a policy that things don't just get fixed offscreen. I like that.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Kudos to TYT for not being too proud of it. They put in an extra detail, and they hoped we'd notice rather than shoving it in our faces.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I don't know what's happening but there's already a disaster. Oh, giant fruit. Has anyone seen Sprout?

Best sisters.

Who does make these laws?

It's subtle, but TYT ears do have some slight jiggle physics.

Oh no. Pipp is trapped.

I don't know. This seems like a cell phone situation to me.

So no one noticed that Pipp was in the carriage? No one? This is slightly annoying. I expected more of an 'Unboxing of Izzy' situation.

This machine makes no sense.

I don't know what happened last week, but this feels like an honorary Halloween episode. We have pumpkins and some very silly horror.

Very silly.

Nothing terrible happened to Misty.

This was silly.

Shadewing

Citizen
Okay, how the HELL do you turn a pumpkin into a pie, and not free Pipp? They're machine made, not dragonfired.

This is just a highly contrived episode... a silly fun contrived episode, but contrived none the less.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Pumpkin-lanche. It's finally happened. The Pumpkins are taking revenge for all the Halloweens past.

Well, look on the bright side...you'll have pumpkin pie for weeks!

"Any ideas...of your OWN?" Oooh, burn. Fair point, though.

"No vehicles can be made from vegetables." Well, good news! Pumpkins are technically a fruit!

There's a story behind that law, isn't there? Did the Apple family have it codified so NO ONE could celebrate something other than fruit and their apples?

Sunny has the same idea I did. *Sense of pride growing!*

They...just forgot Pipp inside the pumpkin? That's...actually pretty horrible, actually. There's no air in there.

They...didn't notice Pipp...AFTER making a pie out of the pumpkin?! Wow...this episode is surprisingly fitting for Halloween....

I DO wonder what Pipp Pie tastes like. Cherry? Grape? Sakura or some other flower because of the "Petals"?

How did this work? They just made a pie out of a whole pumpkin without removing the gourd? That'd taste terrible! And I guess we know that Pipp can survive baking in a oven.

Well, that's nightmares for the whole town. Whoever's in charge of dreams now that Luna's gone is going to have their work cut out for them.

Zom-pie. Pinkie Pie's great great grand-cousin's nephew.

Posey's fear is justified count: 1.

Where did they think Pipp WAS for the last half a day?

I mean...Pipp STILL didn't come up with a idea of how to get out of this situation on her own. After being baked into a PIE! She just LET someone start eating her! Zipp's point is kind of totally confirmed here.

Jazz has a point, she was robbed.

Nothing terrible happened to Misty.
To be fair, Misty might have caused the pumpkin-lanche in the first place. We really don't see how this started.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is just a highly contrived episode... a silly fun contrived episode, but contrived none the less.

Too contrived. Annoyingly contrived. But for some reason I don't feel as annoyed as I feel like I should be. I guess the unapologetic silliness works. It's disarming.

Shadewing

Citizen

This episode is entirely Posey's fault.

"We're not breaking the law, we have a Royal Decree." Yeah, well now it's cake. I don't think cake is gonna hold up in a court of law.

Cute episode, but just kinda... ends.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm once again reminded that Posey isn't completely grumpy. Just leave her garden alone.

I have a bad feeling about this episode's Izzy. She's been so good lately, too.

Happy insomnia.

Dangerous mission outfit. This does not obscure her identity at all.

This is technically vandalism.

That is the fastest mystery Zipp has ever solved.

It strains credulity that this is enough to instantly give maretime Bay another tourism explosion, but this is a post apocalyptic society so maybe it doesn't take much. Ponies didn't leave their towns for generations. Maybe any excuse will do.

That looks like Phyllis. I guess she hasn't been permanently run out of town. I am concerned for Sprout now.

Quite a few of these tourists are earth ponies. Maretime Bay is not the only earth pony town left.

I knew Hitch would agree with me.

They're stealing a wall. This episode has now hit the point of being so silly that I can't get mad at it.

Sparky does not recognize the monarchy. TYT Sparky > MYM Sparky, even after that one episode.

Izzy you're scaring me with this junk puppet.

The junk puppet is wise.

Pipp is too short to reach the phone. 10/10 episode.

Nice security system. Once again, Pipp's phone addiction isn't just a joke. She's savvy about practical uses for it.

So Izzy is keeping her secret identity, for now. Will she clash with Hitch's superhero identity?

Pipp was too short to reach the phone. 10/10.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Hmm...can we identify this pony in black and white holding the heart flower in the painting? Although, it doesn't really seem all that "streety art"-y.

Nyan Cat reference...in 2022...

Wait, did Posey do ALL of this artwork herself? If so...she's got talent, I'll admit it. Even if she's just a curator, that's kind of a good fit for her personality.

Since all of these are framed...I'm still not sure these qualify as "street art". Maybe some of them have the right style, but...I guess I don't know enough about art. *shrugs*

"Art can be ANYWHERE" Oh no...you gave Izzy a idea. This will end with everyone covered in paint.

Izzy has a special Sneaksy Hoodie that is fairly brightly colored...I kind of love it.

Huh...Izzy's magic is strong enough to bend a light pole into a heart. That seems fairly stronger than most G4 unicorns.

Izzy's getting all the best songs in TYT.

"Pipp...check your hoof" I think we've all had moments like this. Still shows that she has a problem, though.

The only criminals that Hitch had imprisoned were critters. That...kind of speaks volumes about this town.

Where do you display a wall, anyway?

SENIOR BUTTERSCOTCH RETURNS! I never expected this "character" to become such a regular part of this franchise.

Pipp and Zipp are helping repair Hitch's wall. It still doesn't absolve the Queen of abusing her authority, but it's something I guess.

Izzy truly IS still only MEDIUM sneaky. She can sneak around but she gets caught fairly easily by Pipp's cameras.

I honestly don't know why Izzy doesn't make the mural on the OUTSIDE of the salon...but whatever.

Izzy's secret identity is in jeopardy! Eh...I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out in the first place, but fine.

There is honestly NO REASON why Pipp SHOULDN'T suspect Izzy...but fine. Is this going to be a ongoing plot?

It strains credulity that this is enough to instantly give maretime Bay another tourism explosion, but this is a post apocalyptic society so maybe it doesn't take much. Ponies didn't leave their towns for generations. Maybe any excuse will do.
Quite a few of these tourists are earth ponies. Maretime Bay is not the only earth pony town left.
I would think it's kind of a zero sum game. There's only so many ponies left that can BE tourists, after all. But...you make a good point about the other Earth Pony tourists. I guess there might be...farmers or something that live outside of the towns that could still come into the cities?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Cute episode, but just kinda... ends.
Izzy's secret identity is in jeopardy! Eh...I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out in the first place, but fine.

There is honestly NO REASON why Pipp SHOULDN'T suspect Izzy...but fine. Is this going to be a ongoing plot?

I think these things go together. The episode just ends, because it's not a self contained five minute movie. It's an introduction to a new ongoing thing.

Nyan Cat reference...in 2022...
How old does a reference have to be before it stops feeling both dated and too recent at the same time?

Wait, did Posey do ALL of this artwork herself? If so...she's got talent, I'll admit it. Even if she's just a curator, that's kind of a good fit for her personality.
Gardening is kinda like curating sometimes.

Izzy has a special Sneaksy Hoodie that is fairly brightly colored...I kind of love it.
Medium sneaky hoodie.

The only criminals that Hitch had imprisoned were critters. That...kind of speaks volumes about this town.
Sunny was the biggest troublemaker.

Pipp and Zipp are helping repair Hitch's wall. It still doesn't absolve the Queen of abusing her authority, but it's something I guess.
I don't see how Queen Haven actually has any authority over Maretime Bay. Maybe she assumes she does but I doubt earth ponies agreed to that.

I honestly don't know why Izzy doesn't make the mural on the OUTSIDE of the salon...but whatever.
So only paying customers can see it. Izzy is no fool.

I would think it's kind of a zero sum game. There's only so many ponies left that can BE tourists, after all. But...you make a good point about the other Earth Pony tourists. I guess there might be...farmers or something that live outside of the towns that could still come into the cities?
I'm sure there other significant earth pony population centers out there. Canterlogic was way too big to be selling products just to their own town, which they largely employed. Also the town has a movie theater but I haven't seen a studio.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I don't see how Queen Haven actually has any authority over Maretime Bay. Maybe she assumes she does but I doubt earth ponies agreed to that.

I think this is more a situation of "I don't want to start a war with my friend's mom". Hitch probably WOULD be in the right do make a stink about this...but he's able to repair the wall within a day, so it probably isn't worth it.

And it IS a odd situation. Technically, the guardponies ARE law enforcement from another town. And Hitch IS the sort who would respect any and all authority. It's just that the guardponies really shouldn't have any jurisdiction inside of Maretime Bay. But, there's really no system to reprimand them, since they're from a completely different town, so...Hitch probably has no recourse here.

The Queen really SHOULDN'T have any authority. But, on the other hand, we still haven't seen any sort of mayor or president of Maretime Bay. Either Canterlogic/Phyllis USED to be in charge or Sunny is seen as the leader of the Earth ponies, currently. I guess the Queen MIGHT be the ruler by default?

This children's show really shouldn't be this politically complex...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I love the unnecessary complexity. G5 takes its setting so seriously that it feels okay to dig into it like this.

I could see why Queen Haven would think she's in charge by default. She's the monarch of the most technologically advanced slice of society we've seen. Cell phone use exploded after unification, so Zephyr Heights is at least culturally taking over. And if Zephyr Heights really traces back to Canterlot I can see them having a bit of an ego about that. They're the continuous civilization, and everyone else is a temporary breakaway. Maretime Bay is a company town that recently lost its company, and nopony knows what unicorns are doing.

This episode might be even funnier if she actually had the authority to do this.

Top Bottom