Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I really liked that one.

Okay so is this a joint closet? It seems like it's supposed to only belong to Sunny, but then why does she have so many dolls of Pipp?

I really like she found a message from her dad. Having lost a parent myself, Sunny's expression was accurate.

The blanket has to be magical if it's not decayed after that long. Also I can totally buy them not having found the one in the throne room. Being how hard it was to move it. Given how unicorns used to be besides Izzy, I can kinda see how the one in Bridlewood wasn't found either. I will say however I think this could have been a three part episode. They find one piece in each episode, or the last one is just them putting it together, but meh this worked fine.

Nitpick, unless it was some destiny thing, Sunny wouldn't have that streak in her hair as a little baby. She didn't get that till she united the three crystals. I suppose it might have faded over time, but I'm betting it was an oversight of the animators.

And yeah, it's a rug/blanket of them. Will this actually mean anything? Or is it just going to be forgotten, like most of the stuff we thought was hinted at in G4?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's spring. Is anyone keeping track?

Message from beyond the grave! It's not even subtle. He's dead.

So they're on a quest to reassemble an ancient thing. This seems ambitious for TYT but let's see if they can pull it off.

Roll out!

Sure. Just poke holes in the palace floor with these vines. Nopony will ever know.

Scratch that. Queen Haven already knows.

This is such a videogame puzzle.

It is notable that Bridlewood's piece of this was just buried under some mud rather than in a temple or that museum they had in early concept art or something like that. Mud. Unicorns really took the loss of magic hard.

And the blanket is already assembled. That only took one episode. And it doesn't seem to do anything. It's just a thing Argyle had that he realized was just a piece of a bigger thing, and he knew (or was just genre savvy enough to guess) where the other pieces must be.

I am a little tired of destiny. Sometime I'd like to see some heroes who could have been anyone. But oh well.

This was a lot for TYT to cover, and it leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Maybe they'll be answered. Maybe not. I'll judge when we find out. If we never hear about this rug again, I won't mind that this whole adventure wrapped up in one episode. It was an enjoyable change of pace.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
That's a disturbing painting of Pipp in the background. The googly eyes will follow you wherever you go.

Aww, Sunny's first roller skates. She had such tiny hoovies.

Izzy has a bunch of noisy, glowy gems. Those...seem like they SHOULD be important, somehow.

I'd be surprised that Izzy is trying to open the locker with her teeth, but this IS Izzy we're talking about. They're going to have to burn that locker, we've all seen where those teeth have been...

Oh, dude, Sunny's dad?! I didn't expect him to show up, even in old film form, for THIS show.

How is this projector still working after a decade in the closet, anyway? Batteries would be dead by now. And don't say magic, because magic was GONE while Argyle was alive.

Wait, so this blanket has been passed down for 10 generations? Let's do some math, assuming each "generation" lasts 20 or 30 years before they pass the blanket on to their kids in the next generation, that means for about 200 to 300 years.

So...Sunny's DAD must have been the one to hide the other pieces of the blanket, since he's the only one who'd be willing to go to Zephyr Heights and Bridlewood. Also, we've suddenly got a quest?! In THIS show?!

"It'll take the whole family to gather all the pieces." Okay, this seems like it's hinting at something. We know NOTHING about Sunny's mom. Nevermind any aunts or uncles.

"This smells...LIKE A MYSTERY!" I'm pretty sure that's just old applesauce.

This is just raising further questions. How did Sunny's ancestors get into the Zephyr Heights throneroom, assuming the tribes had split at that point?

I'm pretty sure movie a big chair doesn't require all the tribes magic combined, you just need a moving dolly or a hand truck. CALL THE MOVING COMPANY!

Wait, this blanket piece has pictures of THEM on it?! How does a several hundred year old blanket have pictures of THEM on it?! Was one of Sunny's ancestors a fortune teller?

"MY THRONE!" Oh, you can always order a new one. You really should redecorate every few hundred years, anyway.

And now we have Singing Stones. Sunny's dad was into some stuff.

Random use of alicorn powers, but okay.

This is suspiciously similar to Twilight finding the Chest of Harmony.

Okay, why is no one freaking out about being on a centuries old tapestry? Are they going to go back in time and team up with the Mane 6? Was this fortune telling? C'MON!

Okay, so I guess Sunny's dad was just talking about metaphorical "family" fine sure thats...WAIT A SECOND! Sunny's dad KNEW about Sunny being foretold to reunite the tribes beforehand?!

WHAT DO YOU KNOW, ARGYLE?! This...is a HUGE tease. My theory about Argyle being a part of some sort of Pony Freemasons doesn't seem so crazy NOW, does it?!

Okay, well...I wonder if ANY of this is going to come back up again. This...this might be REALLY important down the line. I kind of hope we at least see the tapestry in the background sometimes.

Now, let's change the mood a little:

2935005.jpg

Okay so is this a joint closet? It seems like it's supposed to only belong to Sunny, but then why does she have so many dolls of Pipp?
Either Pipp has a bunch of unsold merchandise or Sunny is a...closet fan.

Nitpick, unless it was some destiny thing, Sunny wouldn't have that streak in her hair as a little baby. She didn't get that till she united the three crystals. I suppose it might have faded over time, but I'm betting it was an oversight of the animators.
Yeah, that does seem like a oversight. Unless being around the blanket somehow awakened her potential-future powers or something.
The blanket has to be magical if it's not decayed after that long.
If it can survive being a baby blanket, it can survive a nuclear explosion. This thing has amazing powers...I mean, it WAS glowing, after all. There's some sort of magic in there.
Message from beyond the grave! It's not even subtle. He's dead.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Remember, somehow this guy has knowledge of the future. He just knew he wouldn't be around in the future. He doesn't act like this is him saying goodbye forever. Just a message to his daughter while he's gone. I mean, he's PROBABLY dead...but I wouldn't underestimate him.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I want to believe Argyle made a regular habit of using artifacts in mundane household ways instead of putting them behind glass. He was a museum pony's worst nightmare.

blueskyscribe

Citizen
Given the episodic nature of Tell Your Tale. I think the writer just thought "Hey, wouldn't this be cool?" and went for it with this idea. I don't think it's going to be a huge plot point in the future or anything.

Argyle's family had the earth pony piece, but I don't think they ever had the other two pieces; those were probably always with the pegasi and unicorns.

Also, we now know the pony tribes have been split up for at least ten generations / hundreds of years, possibly longer since we don't know when Argyle's ancestors got ahold of it. I would imagine the blanket would be made in the "uh oh, things are falling apart and we know it's going to be bad but we don't know how to stop it" phase. Maybe made with the last dregs of magic before it disappeared.

Very happy to hear the original MLP tune!

I wish the rug had just had generic unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies instead of literally Sunny and her friends. Or if they'd originally been colorless pony silhouettes, and when the rug was stitched together they magically took on the colors of the Mane 5.

But that's a minor nitpick for this excellent episode. Really felt the love Sunny had for her dad, and Argyle's love for Sunny.

Headcanon for baby Sunny animation error: baby Sunny was obsessed with the orange pony in the rug and Argyle dyed her hair with Kool Aid or something (using "real" dye on a squirmy infant seems like a bad idea, ha ha) to please her.

Also that is one tough blanket to survive all those years without magic to protect it, while being used as a baby blanket.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's nice to know these writers can do an adventure episode. They've been pretty good at the slice of life comedy stuff, but they have range.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Somewhere, someone's going to make a comic of Sunny hyperventilating...only for Twilight to come and give her a hug. "I've been there."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You can't really overreact to losing a dog.

Pipp asks her fans for help. I love the way they are writing her character. She's not a joke written by out of touch execs who think these kids and their phones are silly. This idea is legitimately worth a try. The internet is scary good at finding things.

Even Posey is a Pippsqueak. I wonder if she admits it or just lurks.

"The first 48 hours are critical." YES! Too many people think they're supposed to wait 48 hours in case the person isn't really missing. They can end up missing that crucial window before they even start looking. Good job, show.

My dog was a brother to me too.

And Zipp is trying a drone. She could just fly, but I guess it's worth pointing out to the audience that drones are another good idea in this sort of situation. You don't need to wait for a police helicopter to put some cameras in the air

I love Izzy's hands-free detector. The movie would be almost perfect if it had props like this.

What exactly this thing is detecting is a good question. Micro changes in air density?

Email spam.

Why does Hitch not have an explanation for why he didn't accept that package? Any easy writing solution could be that Pipp or Zipp had to sign for it. He's a rule follower.

Mail pony had a whole side adventure.

Ew.

That was entertaining.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The Queen everybody! Calm and collected in a crisis! Okay, seriously, if my dog was missing, I'd probably be worse.

Cloudpuff is MISSING!? Wait...didn't the IDW comics just do this? If he turns out to be at a secret spa in the outlands, we'll know someone was copying someone else's homework.

Oh no, now everyone's going to be panicking because of this missing dog. Crowdsourcing the problem was a good idea, though...in theory.

"Cloudpuff is totally a brother to us!" That's kind of sweet....but, how old is Cloudpuff, anyway? Have they had him since they were children?

Eh, they were in a rush. Makes sense their makeshift stage would collapse.

Is there a point in putting up posters when everyone seems to have already gathered and knows what the dog looks like?

Those critters were just straight-up trying to kill those ponies with that boulder. We know what they're like.

Alphabittle's stream of drool....unicorns are gross count: 1. ("Even Izzy thinks you're gross" needs to be a meme.) Also, should we be concerned about why Alphabittle is sleeping in the woods? A rough party last night or...?

So, I guess Izzy's metal detector is actually...a organic matter detector? It detected Alphabittle's drool.

What...how...how did Cloudpuff get into the delivery box!?

Hitch has a lot of fangirls. Watching him. All the time.

...Nice attention to detail, Zipp. (And telescopic vision, geez). I didn't even notice that in the photo. She really does have a knack for this detective thing.

*Both the Queen and Pipp start crying* I can see why Pipp is the Queen's favorite, they're a lot alike, aren't they? The Queen probably just understands her more than Zipp.

The castle has a mailroom? I mean...I guess that makes sense, but...I never think about a castle having it's own mailroom.

I'm still convinced Fifi is Derpy's descendant. There's NO WAY you put a dog in a box and don't notice it. That dog would be yapping all day.

You NEED to get that dog to a vet, NOW! Eating that much soap and fingerprint/hoofprint ink CANNOT be healthy!

And we end on a dog fart...great. Cloudpuff is gross count: 1. (It's only fair)

...Yeah, even with the dog fart, I'd still say this was better than the IDW issue.

Why does Hitch not have an explanation for why he didn't accept that package? Any easy writing solution could be that Pipp or Zipp had to sign for it. He's a rule follower.
Yeah, they could have explained that in the episode. But, it's worth pointing out that he's literally the only one who doesn't live at the Brighthouse (he has a his own house with paid off mortgage, after all). Legally, he CAN'T accept someone else's mail for them.

...We really need to see Hitch's house some day.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Queen everybody! Calm and collected in a crisis! Okay, seriously, if my dog was missing, I'd probably be worse.

Cloudpuff is MISSING!? Wait...didn't the IDW comics just do this? If he turns out to be at a secret spa in the outlands, we'll know someone was copying someone else's homework.

I think they're doing this on purpose. Its going to get tedious for those of us who follow every piece of content. But someone who sometimes misses a comic or an episode won't be lost if characters vaguely reference that time Cloudpuff went missing.

"Cloudpuff is totally a brother to us!" That's kind of sweet....but, how old is Cloudpuff, anyway? Have they had him since they were children?

The old lady next door to me had a freak Schipperke live over 20 years.

Is there a point in putting up posters when everyone seems to have already gathered and knows what the dog looks like?

Old people who don't have cell phones.

Alphabittle's stream of drool....unicorns are gross count: 1. ("Even Izzy thinks you're gross" needs to be a meme.) Also, should we be concerned about why Alphabittle is sleeping in the woods? A rough party last night or...?

I was right. Unicorns are gross.

Hitch has a lot of fangirls. Watching him. All the time.

*jealous Sprout noises*

*Both the Queen and Pipp start crying* I can see why Pipp is the Queen's favorite, they're a lot alike, aren't they? The Queen probably just understands her more than Zipp.

She loves and understands Pipp (except the phone thing), but she respects Zipp more.

The castle has a mailroom? I mean...I guess that makes sense, but...I never think about a castle having it's own mailroom.

It makes sense. The castle has a large enough staff to need one. Real castles would have had them if there had been any significant amount of mail.

I'm still convinced Fifi is Derpy's descendant. There's NO WAY you put a dog in a box and don't notice it. That dog would be yapping all day.

Someone was in zombie mode at work.

Yeah, they could have explained that in the episode. But, it's worth pointing out that he's literally the only one who doesn't live at the Brighthouse (he has a his own house with paid off mortgage, after all). Legally, he CAN'T accept someone else's mail for them.

...We really need to see Hitch's house some day.

It makes complete sense, so it's weird that he doesn't know what to say.

blueskyscribe

Citizen
I just realized my previous headcanon about baby Sunny's hair wouldn't work because Argyle's part of the blanket only showed Hitch, Sunny's wing, and a slight amount of her body. So he wouldn't have known tapestry-pony's mane color.

This is also why I don't think Argyle knew about Sunny's destiny or whatever . . . He'd never seen the other parts of the blanket and he probably assumed the winged pony was a pegasus.

Anyway, on to the lost dog episode! It was cute but I would've liked to have seen a bit . . . more? Like maybe cut out some of the searching scenes and have more of Zipp investigating, which IMO was the best part of the episode. Pipp's line about Cloudpuff being like a brother to her was both heartwarming and incredibly funny. This episode had sooo many people in the credits, Onyx whatever was even in there due to being at the back of the crowd scene. The white pegasus with yellow and orange hair is named Flare, I am praying the the Holy MOC Mimic that we get a toy of her at some point.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm always up for more Zipp investigating, but that wasn't the point of the episode. They wanted to show everyone helping out.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Fairly fun, though obviously if they just gave each thing a decent slot of time, they could have avoided all this.

Top Bottom