Sunny Starscout Appreciation Thread

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
large.png

In this thread we talk about Sunny Starscout, the newest and cutest lead pony with the most contagious smile. She got M.A. Larson'd in record time and it still felt deserved. But is it permanent or just a magical girl transformation? Add your thoughts, theories, and general appreciation.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I want to say permanent, but the translucent shininess of it makes me feel like it'll be something that just happens when the need arises. They didn't look like actual biological wings and horn to me.

I'll say Sunny's my second favorite character of the new generation.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's my hope. I want earth pony Sunny to last longer than this. If she can fly, she'll do less skating, and she's just so cute with that helmet.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, I'm guessing she'll just use it in the opening and finales.

Honestly...I'm kind of starting to wonder if the Pony Stones were actually the Alicorn Amulet...somehow. It would make for a interesting retcon, and I feel like it more or less fits. And the Alicorn Amulet was never actually destroyed, if I remember correctly. Could it have been..."upgraded" somehow, over the years? I mean, probably not, they're probably REALLY just going to be their own thing, with their own mythology...but it'd be a neat connection to make. *shrug*

Also...did Sunny's Lighthouse ever get fixed in the finale? I forget. The beginning of the season might start with her house hunting. Or trying to fix her house while some chaos brews that she's not around for.

Also, I want a episode where she drags everyone to a Mane 6 convention. Cosplay, lines, continuity arguments with other fans, the whole shebang.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll have to watch it again but I think her house is pretty thoroughly wrecked.

I'm actually going to be sad if her stuff is ruined. That would hit harder than Twilight's house. We didn't spend much time at Sunny's house, but we know she did, and she didn't get a castle as a consolation prize out of it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah I watched it again. No magical 'and then everything was fixed' moment. She's going to be couch surfing for a while.

What the hay, Pony movie?

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
She's got friends she can room with until she gets back on her hooves...and I imagine some money coming her way from litigation against Sprout. I'm sure she'll be okay.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Thinking about it....did her Dad actually MAKE those figurines for her? They look like they could be whittled and then painted. And we don't see a load of Mane 6 merch in the movie or anything. Was her dad the only pony who actually remembered the Mane 6?

I mean, that probably makes it worse, if that's true. All that stuff in her room might be one of a kind.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I adore Sunny. I love her and I want to give her a big hug.

As for her home, I imagine that it was either repaired off-screen, or will be repaired by the time we next see her. I still have some questions, however - what would've happened if all three crystals had been put in place? Maybe no restoration of magic, but perhaps something being unlocked? Some ancient treasure trove of knowledge that even her father never knew about?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If you put all three crystals in place they unlock the Temple of Time.

Or something like that.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Sunny's dad might be low-key the most interesting character in the movie. He has all this ancient, forgotten knowledge. He MUST have been travelling around all of Equestria to find the Earth Pony Stone and maybe some of the flags and stuff in Sunny's room. He has a special spot in his lighthouse for the magical macguffins, indicating that he might have BUILT the entire lighthouse on his own. Sunny's dad...has a interesting past. I kind of hope they find his journal or something and we get some backstory for him in the show proper.

If I had to guess, the lighthouse MIGHT have done artificially what Sunny did naturally: Spread the light of the Pony Stones across Equestria in order to re-light magic in the world.

But, who knows. Maybe Sunny's dad is secretly the true final villain of this show, and the Lighthouse was his way of absorbing all remaining magic into himself. I doubt it, but...it would be a "modern Disney twist". And they never really SAY that he's dead.

Or maybe he was just a member of some secret order of ponies, the Pony Illuminati or Freemasons, or something. Maybe he's part of the group that originally MADE the Pony Stones, because they weren't around in G4. Thinking about, as much as he seems to build stuff, being a part of some Freemason-style organization actually would kind of fit.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I doubt he was in some secret order, because he doesn't seem to have inducted Sunny into it. He discovered something at some point and went down a rabbit hole.

It doesn't appear that the lighthouse is being used as a lighthouse anymore. Maybe it's been abandoned a long time and he made a discovery while exploring it as a foal, and he later moved in.

blueskyscribe

Citizen
I don't think Sunny's dad built the lighthouse because it's on the travel posters in the old hot air balloon station in Zephyr Heights. It's possible he built the table. But I do like the idea that the lighthouse was built to house the crystals.

Maybe the crystal came with the lighthouse, but was being used as a paperweight. At any rate, I don't think Argyle knew what it was. He would've told Sunny if he'd known it was important. (Also he would've noted its importance in his journal.)

I'd love to get some flashback episodes of him digging through ruins to find ancient artifacts. Love that guy, he has such gentle, wholesome dad energy.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's remarkable that none of the crystals got lost in that much time. At some point the tribe leaders must have known that they must protect the crystals no matter the cost, and their descendants managed to keep track of them long after they forgot why they were doing it.

Either Argyle inherited the crystal and didn't know it was important, or he found it somewhere after someone else failed to pass it on. Either way something went extra wrong with earth ponies and it's just lucky Argyle had some curiosity. It's also remarkable that he had a crystal and the table rather than the table being in some fourth location. Unless there's some reason earth ponies got both, to me it all points to Argyle being a bit of an explorer who went to a few places to collect this stuff.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It'd be kind of nice to see Zipp follow in Argyle's footsteps a little in the show, wouldn't it? Finding old journals of his or signs that he had been different places that Zipp needs to go to find her answers. We might even get to see a little bit of friction between Sunny and Zipp, because in a lot of ways, Zipp might be "closer" to her dad than she is. Or at least closer to his "wavelength".

And I'm not quite sure if Argyle would have wanted to pass down ALL his knowledge to Sunny. That might have been a LOT for a little pony. We still don't know exactly when he disappeared. Sunny was probably still pretty young at the time. And there MIGHT be some danger in what he knows (...maybe, possibly).

And while Sunny was definitely interested in Pony lore...I'm not sure if "history" was really ever her strength. Her focus always seems to have been on making the PRESENT better. Not necessarily digging into the past for knowledge for it's own sake. Sunny, at least in the movie, is a little too impulsive to think through how that kind of knowledge would benefit her in the long run. In the movie, she kind of tends to charge in head and heart first and think things through later.

Top Bottom