Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I wasn't planning on getting Coronation Starscream, as much as I wanted the accessories. But Walmarts here finally started putting out stock and they've immediately gone to 50% off ($39 CDN).

Hopefully I can flip the figure itself for a few bucks and basically get a very decently priced upgrade set.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
If you have the Thundercracker/Skywarp two-pack, you may want to keep him since the paint patterns of King Starscream fit with them a lot better than the original, plus it gives each seeker a small remold each (hands or faces).

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I wasn't planning on getting Coronation Starscream, as much as I wanted the accessories. But Walmarts here finally started putting out stock and they've immediately gone to 50% off ($39 CDN).

Hopefully I can flip the figure itself for a few bucks and basically get a very decently priced upgrade set.
According to Brickseek one Walmart has him for $30 USD. One across the street has it for $40. Hoping one of them drops to $25 and Ill snag him. Oddly enough Legacy Galvatron is on clearance as well.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
According to Brickseek one Walmart has him for $30 USD. One across the street has it for $40. Hoping one of them drops to $25 and Ill snag him. Oddly enough Legacy Galvatron is on clearance as well.
I'm really hoping that I can resist the allure of a clean painted Galvatron should it hit clearance here!

If you have the Thundercracker/Skywarp two-pack, you may want to keep him since the paint patterns of King Starscream fit with them a lot better than the original, plus it gives each seeker a small remold each (hands or faces).
Good point about the paint, though I always felt that Thundercracker and Skywarp were the lesser for lacking the striping on the tailfins.

Honestly, my biggest worry is that SS Starscream will turn yellow. My ER copy has held up so far, and it really doesn't make sense to keep both. It's not likely to be an easy decision.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
Been debating about whether or not I'll pick up 86 Arcee once I see her locally.
On one hand she doesn't have the creepy organic tummy the t30 has
On the other she still doesn't look amazing, I'm pretty tired of attempts at G1 cartoon Arcee
On the third hand you can't underestimate the effect "ooo new girl!" has on me lol

I really hope the rumored high moon studio series toys are a thing so we can get an Arcee that looks closer to IDW Arcee(my favorite Arcee)

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I haven't tried to order 86 Arcee online, but I feel like I will buy one if I find her in the wild. She fixes enough that I disliked about the T30 version, and I skipped ER due to not loving the mold (but got Lifeline and Elita-1, so idk). So, at least it doesn't feel like I just bought an Arcee recently. (Though I did get the Evergreen Bravo Arcee, but she goes in a different part of the collection.)

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
SS86 Arcee is pretty good, IMO. I feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity to go "full SS86 Hot Rod", making her a Voyager price point and including a flip down visor, more detailing, and a more involved transformation that would yield a better looking robot. I also don't care for her torso and legs all that much, but her car mode is very nice. For me, the gold standard is still LG Arcee. I don't mind that she doesn't have waist articulation because her transformation is clean and she looks great in both modes.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
1666798542684.png

Ironhide arrived this morning. Still sorting out how I feel about it. It definitely does things better than the Earthrise figure, but it doesn't feel like a slam dunk. I dunno. The transformation is definitely more intricate, but very evocative of the prior figures.

Fun fact: ER and SS86 weigh exactly the same on my postage meter (122 grams).

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Thanks for the comparison picture. I'll probably let this one pass by me. Given the choice between the two, I would probably pick the SS86 version, but I don't think it's better enough to justify the upgrade since I've already got Ironhide at home.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Yeah, Siege/ER definitely wins in the "gruff/ornery" department. SS86's noggin does look better in person than it did in pictures, though.

I'd say SS86 wins in the alt-mode department. Wheels and a cohesive back end go a long ways. The colour mismatch is nowhere near as bad as the maroons on ER, too (I find the red also pops more than ER's muted tones). I do expect Toyhax to come up with the missing yellow stripe and cover up the excess silver in front.

If I already had the various upgrade kits for ER Ironhide, I likely would have let SS86 pass by. But by the time you replace the feet and wheels, you pretty much spend voyager class money anyways. I'd say if you didn't have a previous Ironhide, get this one, but if you have a kitted out ER, then I wouldn't be so quick to swap it out.

Lobjob

Citizen
I think studio series would be *perfect* if the flaps on his legs weren't clear plastic and instead solid red. Sure we'd need painted windows, but its meant to look cartoony so Id be down.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, Siege/ER definitely wins in the "gruff/ornery" department. SS86's noggin does look better in person than it did in pictures, though.

I'd say SS86 wins in the alt-mode department. Wheels and a cohesive back end go a long ways. The colour mismatch is nowhere near as bad as the maroons on ER, too (I find the red also pops more than ER's muted tones). I do expect Toyhax to come up with the missing yellow stripe and cover up the excess silver in front.

If I already had the various upgrade kits for ER Ironhide, I likely would have let SS86 pass by. But by the time you replace the feet and wheels, you pretty much spend voyager class money anyways. I'd say if you didn't have a previous Ironhide, get this one, but if you have a kitted out ER, then I wouldn't be so quick to swap it out.

Seeing as the only version of the ER mold I managed to get was Guard, who is now offically my SG Ironhide; I feel the gruff/ornery look really works for him, while SS Ironhide works for being the more pleasent version.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Seeing as the only version of the ER mold I managed to get was Guard, who is now offically my SG Ironhide; I feel the gruff/ornery look really works for him, while SS Ironhide works for being the more pleasent version.
Ironic, considering what happens to him in the movie is anything but pleasant.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There's things they can do. Clear plastic that's extra thick or slightly soft can be very durable. Thin, hard clear plastic is a recipe for snapping.

Top Bottom