Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

Lobjob

Citizen
The visible flaps on his legs seems out of place for a Studio Series figure but otherwise I'd be happy to have him.

Dake

Citizen
Alt-mode pics are up now. Surely this is an unfinished sample though since it's missing his stripe and it appears he has nubs for Ratchet's light bar on the roof. It'd be interesting if there's a high-top that snaps on over those nubs to give him a shield, but that seems unlikely.

Studio-Series-Voyager-Ironhide-06.jpg

Then again, due to all the panel breaks, they may have decided they couldn't do the side stripe which this really needs. It is a better looking van but only marginally so; I might be able to resist this particular temptation.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Funny enough, I find there are some things that ER Ironhide does better than SS86 in the vehicle mode (the front end and side hinges come to mind first). But, SS86 has its benefits, too. If I had replacement wheels and feet on my copy, I'd probably not feel any real urge to switch.

However, getting said upgrades will probably cost me as much as this new Ironhide will on its own, so that will likely tip the scales in favour of me picking it up.

I think PvP's review is going to drop shortly, so we'll all soon have a better look.

The Phazer

Citizen
It's a bit hinge-y on the outside, and the back window just... not existing is embarrassing.

But it is definitely better than the last go.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I dunno, this could be the finished product. In our current era of vehicle modes with fists and feet sticking out and such, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see those nubs just hanging out on Ironhide. Regardless of whether this is the finished version or not, there will definitely be 3rd party upgrade kits for him.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We've gone from completely exposed robot shoulders and feet despite the crutch of partsforming, to some exposed hinges. And three different reds. *sigh*

This still has a chance to be the best Ironhide yet.

Lobjob

Citizen
I wouldn't mind an Ironhide and Ratchet who are inspired by Energon Towline's transformation. Just say they incorporated weaponizer technology. Bring back the battle sled or medical sled.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I admit, I sold off my Classics/Universe Ironhide and Prowl years ago and never got another. My nephew did get the Sparkless Barricade and Quintession Guard. This combined with Dead Optimus has lead us to just use those in place and claim Prowl and Ironhide died and came back as zombies. It works better than you might think. I'll be interested in seeing what this actually winds up like, but as others have noted, the track record of pins through clear plastic has not been great in recent history.

The Phazer

Citizen
There are a fair amount of things I like about this toy but also some absolutely baffling bits of cost cutting for a toy that is already a size class more expensive than his size.

Why are the hands hollow even???

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I wouldn't mind an Ironhide and Ratchet who are inspired by Energon Towline's transformation. Just say they incorporated weaponizer technology. Bring back the battle sled or medical sled.

I would absolutely buy Energon Towline, Ironhide, and Ratchet in a unified, Towline-based design. If there were other decos, I'd buy them, too. Heck, just reissue the crap out of the Energon Towline mold ala the Vintage Beast Wars line.

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
I'll be interested in seeing what this actually winds up like, but as others have noted, the track record of pins through clear plastic has not been great in recent history.
This. I'd like to be able to transform my transforming toy without fear of breaking it after a few passes, thank you. >.<

I've actually been warming myself up to the idea of preferring Ironhide be in a movie-style black rather than G1 red, so DK-2 Guard with his design oddities doesn't sting me as much as before. =P I'd probably only get this new mold if they made Ratchet out of it... though I'd still really prefer that Ratchet just get a dedicated ambulance form from now on instead of being Ironhide's P2 colors.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Prime vs Prime did his review and man, the transparent plastic did this figure no favors. Just completely mismatched colors all around on top of being a potential timebomb for transparent plastic syndrome.

Had they cast him entirely out of red plastic and then painted the windows, I think he'd look a million times better and wouldn't have the likely durability issues.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I've not, for the most part, had any issues with transparent plastic breakage, but I've long argued that we don't need to have windows made of the stuff. Paint works just fine, and then many of us wouldn't have so many of these concerns.

Top Bottom