Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

Dake

Citizen
Studio Series 86 Titan class giant squid with Kup limbs and a shoal of fish for good sport.

CLAW JAW IS READY!

clawjaw1-png.28026905

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Don't remember if I posted about them yet or not, but both Galvatron and Gnaw, look much better in hand than in most pictures.

Galvatron looks great in hand. Gnaw does have his back legs a little further back than I would prefer, but it's much less pronounced than in most pictures.

Galvatron has a fairly fun transformation, but Gnaws is damn near perfect. It's satisfying, fun and fast, with NO fiddly bits at all.

Boss Borot

The Living Junkyard
Citizen
Just discovered that MP Grimlock's dino arms fit the sockets on SS Grimlock. My poor MP is a floppy mess, so I don't mind swapping parts to improve the new Grim.

Kup

Citizen
I just had a chance to open my Slug. I can barely get him to stand. His right knee is INCREDIBLY loose, to the point I can’t pose him in robot mode.

Is this normal? I haven’t watched reviews, but Slag is one of my favorite Dinobots and I’m going to have to take him back if this is a bad sample.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just opened mine yesterday, and the knees are both loosey and goosey. I can hear the ratchets doing their thing inside of the knee, but there's almost no actual resistance. I may see if I can stiffen them up a little with some minor surgery.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I just had a chance to open my Slug. I can barely get him to stand. His right knee is INCREDIBLY loose, to the point I can’t pose him in robot mode.

Is this normal? I haven’t watched reviews, but Slag is one of my favorite Dinobots and I’m going to have to take him back if this is a bad sample.

Just opened mine yesterday, and the knees are both loosey and goosey. I can hear the ratchets doing their thing inside of the knee, but there's almost no actual resistance. I may see if I can stiffen them up a little with some minor surgery.

That seems odd from my experience. Mine has a broken ratchet and is still tight enough to hold poses and cause no issues.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
A friend of mine mentioned the backpack was extremely loose on his and things didn't generally stay in place. He got a replacement without any issues. Mine is perfectly fine.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A friend of mine mentioned the backpack was extremely loose on his and things didn't generally stay in place. He got a replacement without any issues. Mine is perfectly fine.

The backpack on mine is fine, just took a little bit of fiddling to figure out how to get it to snap into place.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen

I think its a case of a few figures having this issue, thou I haven't had any with mine but however, there is a cheeper alterative to buying a replacement figure in the form of a upgrade produced by a third party:

If you are worried about the seller, I have used them myself for some upgrades resently and it came through without any problems, but you will have to take Slag's upper legs apart to install the upgrade.

I hope that helps you!;)

Kup

Citizen
Thanks. I took it back to Walmart but will keep that in mind if the next one I find (if ever) has the same issue.

CrockAlley

Citizen
The backpack on mine is fine, just took a little bit of fiddling to figure out how to get it to snap into place.
Is it really supposed to snap into place? I've found a position that sort of stays put, but no snapping. That whole tail armature is a big pain in both modes. Otherwise, a really fun figure!

Boss Borot

The Living Junkyard
Citizen
Just discovered that MP Grimlock's dino arms fit the sockets on SS Grimlock. My poor MP is a floppy mess, so I don't mind swapping parts to improve the new Grim.
Update: so I wanted to paint the MP arms white to match the rest of SS Grim, but the paint didn't want to stick to the chrome. Instead of scuffing the chrome up a bit with some fine sandpaper, I thought "oh, I have this big jug of acetone, that'll do the job!"
ProTip: acetone removes paint very well. It also eats through plastic like it's candy.

So Grim gets his original arms back and the MP is...unarmed.

Anyway, I found Slag today and he's pretty great. Big ol' chonker.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Got Grimlock today, love him. Half tempted to sell my MP version in favor of this guy and hopefully the rest of the Dino’s.
Only 2 things I wish were different:
1- the clear parts like what are on the box
2- swords

Attachments

• CFE593F5-D3DD-49BA-80C2-705212512AC5.jpeg
    CFE593F5-D3DD-49BA-80C2-705212512AC5.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 84

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Got Grimlock today, love him. Half tempted to sell my MP version in favor of this guy and hopefully the rest of the Dino’s.
Only 2 things I wish were different:
1- the clear parts like what are on the box
2- swords

Agreed. I understand why they changed the clear yellow to painted gold since the whole line is about screen accuracy, but the "robo-greebles underneath the clear dinosaur skin" look was always one of my favorite things about the G1 Dinobots. I'd be surprised if we don't get "toy colors" versions of all 5 at some point down the line that have the clear plastic restored, but I decided not to wait and have been buying the SS Dinobots anyways.

Boss Borot

The Living Junkyard
Citizen
I'm personally glad they went with toon color dinobots first, but I am interested in what they'd look like in toy colors. Slag would look great with his transparent amber bits, red horns, and actual chromed bits. Maybe have a big giftset once they're all out or something.

I'm loving this big chonky guy btw. I really wasn't expecting Slag to be so big compared to Grimlock, but he's a satisfying grumpy brick. I hope the others don't take too awfully long to come out.

Top Bottom