Studio Series discussion

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Of all things, Aaron Archer’s reason for exiting has become rather prophetic as I’ve seen the actual KIDS toys in the brand (along with most other Hasbro brands, TBH) slide down in quality and execution as the distinction between what is “for kids” and what is “For collectors” becomes an ever widening gulf.

I would dispute one part of this. The kid lines do suck now but the collector lines have become more toyetic and fun than they used to be. Combiner Wars got boring after a while (and to be fair they didn't plan on it going on as long as it did, but it just sold too well) but it started as a breath of fresh air after how fiddly and annoying some earlier Generations transformations could be. Titans Return turned every toy into a playset to some degree or another. Siege cemented the current budget MP direction but still had Weaponizers because fun.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I'm still perfectly content with T30 Arcee (Hasbro ed.) Sure the belly looks a bit weird and she has no waost rotation or ankle tilts, but that color sceme POPS in a way I've yet to see another G1ish Arcee do. Maybe Studio BB Arcee comes close.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I would dispute one part of this. The kid lines do suck now but the collector lines have become more toyetic and fun than they used to be. Combiner Wars got boring after a while (and to be fair they didn't plan on it going on as long as it did, but it just sold too well) but it started as a breath of fresh air after how fiddly and annoying some earlier Generations transformations could be. Titans Return turned every toy into a playset to some degree or another. Siege cemented the current budget MP direction but still had Weaponizers because fun.
TR remains my favourite "modern" line due to how fun it was.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
TR was our first glimpse of what Kingdom would finally deliver. Skullcruncher's beast mode neck makes such a difference in how lively it looks.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The kid lines do suck now but the collector lines have become more toyetic and fun than they used to be.
Basically, what is considered "for collectors" nowadays is what used to be the design/engineering standard for every line (save for the most "bricky" toys of Armada) from 1996 to 2015, and all of those were aimed at kids.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
293646284_612374230457619_4197988373507991333_n.jpg

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Vehicle mode is out and I do NOT like the way the front end comes out. (Maybe it's mistransformed?) I could nitpick a bit too, but that's the only real failure to me. Still looks like a good option if you don't have or want the Legends version.

It was clearly designed with the chest as part of the canopy, but they painted it for robot mode accuracy instead of vehicle mode. That would have been better, but the old Titans Return version is still the better vehicle by far. Studio series has a slightly better robot mode, though, if that's your priority.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Transformers Studio Series Transformers Movie 1 15th Anniversary Multipack!

Even uses the old promo CG art from 2007 for its box art.

Top Bottom