Studio Series discussion

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That Soundwave is hilarious. Someone looked at the Siege one and decided to come up with an even less altmodey altmode. But the robot mode is pure class, and manages to make the weird thighs of this new movie design look good.

Brawn and Ratchet look great, save for Brawn's accurate but still terrible helmet. Really digging Ratchet's altmode there. Simple but nice. I wish they would get redecoed as someone else though because I don't really need new versions of either.

(The more I look at Ratchet the more I want to repurpose that as someone else. The mostly white altmode with the rover ish front canopy is just really neat. Helps that he doesn't have a lot of red accents in both modes.)

If they make a Voyager Shockwave down the line I might get it to replace my Beast Hunters one. That one was actually pretty cool if not for the unfortunate feet.

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Picked up Wreck Gar today, glad to have a screen accurate version but I’m not blown away. Nipple guns are weird.

As for this latest announcement I have not been collecting movie toys since the second movie. But I’ll be damned if I don’t want every single one of these, especially that Soundwave. My only issue with Soundwave, I want all the cassettes too, even if they weren’t in the movie.

Brawn looks damned impressive too.

Boss Borot

The Living Junkyard
Citizen
That Soundwave is hilarious. Someone looked at the Siege one and decided to come up with an even less altmodey altmode. But the robot mode is pure class, and manages to make the weird thighs of this new movie design look good.

Brawn and Ratchet look great, save for Brawn's accurate but still terrible helmet. Really digging Ratchet's altmode there. Simple but nice. I wish they would get redecoed as someone else though because I don't really need new versions of either.

(The more I look at Ratchet the more I want to repurpose that as someone else. The mostly white altmode with the rover ish front canopy is just really neat. Helps that he doesn't have a lot of red accents in both modes.)

If they make a Voyager Shockwave down the line I might get it to replace my Beast Hunters one. That one was actually pretty cool if not for the unfortunate feet.

Ratchet doesn't really interest me, but that mold DOES. Maybe grab one and give it a different head and a minor repaint as a new character with a Mars rover alt mode... the front really has "The Martian" vibes.
I like it the more I look at it, actually. The legs look nice and clean, and the shoulders are neat.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Ratchet doesn't really interest me, but that mold DOES. Maybe grab one and give it a different head and a minor repaint as a new character with a Mars rover alt mode... the front really has "The Martian" vibes.
I like it the more I look at it, actually. The legs look nice and clean, and the shoulders are neat.

I was on the same page, or close . . . that version of Ratchet looks cool, but I've never been a big fan of the movie-verse faces. I wonder if there's already a shapeways Ratchet head that would fit on this one.

The Phazer

Citizen

All of these repainted as new characters would be pretty neat, shame it's unlikely to happen for on-screen movie designs. I saw a digibash of Brawn as Doomguy that looked really good.

I wonder if a third party will make a cockpit that folds out from the back for Soundwave's alt mode. It'd look kinda neat if the front wasn't just his crotch.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Soundwave has fallen into the Crab Cycle.

I wish someone had Googlefailed and given Brawn the wrong head. It looked terrible on the screen and it looks terrible here. Remember when people were complaining about the Cybertron scene looking bad? I suspect his head is responsible for 70% of that. It's sad because his altmode is fantastic.

Core Class Shockwave is obviously a homage to Legends Shockwave from CW, if you're the sort of unfun scalewanker who needs a specific excuse for Core versions of characters to exist.

Ravage might turn out to be dead if he transforms.

Ratchet and Wheeljack are the clear winners here, which is sad because in general I want to cut back on Transformers that use a lot of white plastic.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Soundwave has fallen into the Crab Cycle.

I wish someone had Googlefailed and given Brawn the wrong head. It looked terrible on the screen and it looks terrible here. Remember when people were complaining about the Cybertron scene looking bad? I suspect his head is responsible for 70% of that. It's sad because his altmode is fantastic.

Core Class Shockwave is obviously a homage to Legends Shockwave from CW, if you're the sort of unfun scalewanker who needs a specific excuse for Core versions of characters to exist.

Ravage might turn out to be dead if he transforms.

Ratchet and Wheeljack are the clear winners here, which is sad because in general I want to cut back on Transformers that use a lot of white plastic.
This redone G1/movie aesthetic was very hit or miss, I think. You had heads that took a stronger cue from the earlier live action designs and so looked okay (Blitzwing, Seekers, Bee who even improved on it), more G1 style ones that hit a good balance (Prime, Soundwave), and then stuff that was just pretty uncanny valley with the humanoid cheeks made of panels and whatnot (Cliffjumper, odd porcelain doll Arcee) and Brawn. Like, it's pretty annoying almost because the rest of him is so good.

And that's just heads; for bodies there were the odd thigh arrangements that tried to go for smooth, boxy and angular shapes and proportions that mostly didn't look great (Prime, Soundwave, Shockwave). With altmodes we're seeing a similar range of good (Ratchet, Brawn) and "who cares, you liked the robot mode, right" (Soundwave, Ravage).

ZacDeath

WWOPD
Citizen
I don’t recognize any of these designs. What are they based on? I thought SS was supposed to be from something.

NovaSaber

Citizen
The robot modes (and both modes for Ravage) are from the opening scene of Bumblebee.
The vehicle modes are either invented by Hasbro or based on concept art.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I can see the SS verison getting a third party upgrade kit made for him, after seeing the video reviewing him, I say the main issue is with the robot mode head storage, it feels kind of lazy and no real attempt to actually hide it away like other figures!

Anyway, the other day, I got in studio series Gnaw and I'm rather blown away by him, its rather simple yet one of those transformations you just can't complain about, not to complex and not to easy either and leaves you feeling rather happy.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I guess TR did set the bar pretty low when it comes to head storage, to where "it stores at all" is a step up.

Paladin

Citizen
And now it's Arcee's turn!

Attachments

• Studio Series Arcee 3.jpeg
    Studio Series Arcee 3.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 101
  • Studio Series Arcee 2.jpeg
    Studio Series Arcee 2.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 106
  • Studio Series Arcee.jpeg
    Studio Series Arcee.jpeg